Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 27 Sep 2017, 11:48 (Ref:3770098)   #1
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Project Cars 2 - the new GPL?

What do people think of PC2 and the new historic content? I'm pretty impressed.

The default setups are very softly sprung and conservative but if you do some work on the setups and it really comes alive. I drove Spa last night with the 49 - all was going well until it started to rain and it then became the REAL challenge I hoped for.

The Indy roadster is great fun too and the default setups for it are better and don't need so much work. No idea if these ever ran on road courses though?

Is this the successor to GPL we hoped for?
Old 27 Sep 2017, 13:07 (Ref:3770108)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, not because the physics might not be right or the cars look great or anything else.

But because there will be very little user designed content allowed, so you will only be able to race using the cars and the tracks provided.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 13:26 (Ref:3770109)   #3
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I've been told that Project Cars is buggier than the Woodstock parking lot.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 14:20 (Ref:3770115)   #4
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
leonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridleonidas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see user-generated content but in fairness there are well over 40 road courses alone in PC2. By the time you've mastered each track in just the Lotus 49 and 72, you will be a lot older. And then there are the historic indycars and sportscars to explore... not to mention the rallycross....

It is buggy at times but hopefully patches are coming. It is annoying but all software seems to be like this these days.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 18:12 (Ref:3770152)   #5
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
I've been told that Project Cars is buggier than the Woodstock parking lot.
pCARS (1) on the Xbox One is worth avoiding. PS4 and PC versions might be better, I do not know. But the Xbox One will ruin your career several times due to bugs.

pCARS 2 I don't think has been out long enough. I suggest waiting for the proper reviews from sim racers, rather than review sites.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 13:02 (Ref:3770293)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having recently got back into GPL, I can't see any reason to go looking for GPL again in PC2. I got very fed up with PC1 and having to constantly open my wallet just to pick up an extra car or two or rarely another track. The wonderful beauty of GPL was (and still is) that there is a whole world of mods, tracks, cars etc. for FREE - thanks to an incredible modding community. But of course, mods and add-ons created by users don't earn money for the makers of the sim.....
Old 29 Sep 2017, 07:31 (Ref:3770472)   #7
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
PCARS was made non moddable really from the start.

Assetto Corsa has some mod stuff, but the days of Rfactor are long gone I am afraid.

Although there were endless disputes about the legality and theft of mods and were mods were from and ownership etc, as a player that game was the best there has ever been in terms of variety.

RF2 is a woeful follow, great physics but looks awful and seems to be tough to mod for.

I wouldn't touch PCARS2. Not yet anyway, far too many bugs, and from what I have seen a middle ground raqcing game, not a sim, very definitely a GAME
Old 29 Sep 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3770517)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yes, I'm with you there with RF1 and was hugely disappointed by RF2.
Old 29 Sep 2017, 11:50 (Ref:3770538)   #9
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
I would encourage anyone to try it. Even if the AI isn't always brilliant, the driving physics are outstanding (certainly as good as AC, if not better). In my view, people who are complaining about lack of grip aren't letting the track rubber up.

I know there are a few rallycross fans on here and it is worth the money just for that. Its probably the best off road sim since Richard Burns - you really have to use Scandinavian flicks and handbrakes to kill the understeer at times.
Old 30 Sep 2017, 13:10 (Ref:3770723)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I would try it, but not at full price, wait for 6 months or so, then they will move on to PCARS 3 as this is clearly their franchise.

By then it be patched better, and hopefully some of the glitches sorted. And it will probably be cheaper.

Not worth the risk right now unless you wnat to spend 40 quid.
Old 9 Oct 2018, 21:21 (Ref:3855763)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Any more thoughts on PC2? I took the plunge recently, primarily for the historic sportscar (and Le Mans of course) options. I find it very easy to drive but as my aim is just to play it for fun, I'm actually enjoying it. 'Modding' doesn't exist, but I have imported a few skins, although it's a real bind that you can only import one skin for each type of car (at a time). I daresay I'll still go back to GPL when I get bored, but the graphics are pretty good.

One thing though, in even light rain, the circuits 'puddle up' ludicrously quickly (within 2 laps of old Silverstone) and they can really throw your car off line, while the AI cars just serenely drive through it. Annoying.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 12:37 (Ref:3855909)   #12
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
The recent updates have improved it a lot. You need to select real time weather as by default you can have rainstorms, snow and dry track within about 3 minutes as the time is accelerated for short races.

Makes sure you have vintage tyre selected for the Lotus 25 and 49 - if you are not careful you can be on modern track tyres. The reason that the 60s sports cars aren't very good is that there is no historic tyre for them so they tend to stick to the track.

The modern stock car is good as are the Group A touring cars. GT3 is modeled rather well too, if a bit slidey. Many like the LMP1 cars too, although for me they are a little boring in short races.

Most of the rest of the car content is mediocre, but with classic F1, stock cars and GT3 to enjoy in one package, frankly, who cares?

And the rallycross is good fun too.

My head says PC2 is not quite as good as Assetto Corsa (I have revised my earlier view), but I seem to drive it as much, so that must mean something.
Old 10 Oct 2018, 17:36 (Ref:3855955)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I still have Assetto Corsa, but I confess I didn't enjoy it much at all.
Old 14 Oct 2018, 11:21 (Ref:3856791)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
You need to play it online

Should be right up your bloody street all everyone plays are Gt cars at the same 3 or 4 tracks lol!
Old 14 Oct 2018, 20:21 (Ref:3856833)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I rarely drive GT cars. Having great fun driving 70's big banger sportscars at Le Mans circa 1970 though......
Old 15 Oct 2018, 11:50 (Ref:3856918)   #16
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I still have Assetto Corsa, but I confess I didn't enjoy it much at all.
Have you got the ultimate edition with the historic DLC? Some good historic Ferrari and Porsche sportscars from the 60s, plus a Maserati 250F and Bandini's Ferrari from 1967.
Old 15 Oct 2018, 17:32 (Ref:3856976)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
No, I'm not inclined to spend any more money on it, to be honest. Right now, PC2 is giving me plenty of fun.
Old 17 Oct 2018, 10:51 (Ref:3857253)   #18
leonidas
Veteran

England
Coventry
I think the AC ultimate edition is £20 for ps4 - just about the best bargain since the £20 I spent on GPL in 1998.

I really like PC2 but the historics in AC are slightly more challenging to drive and each have very different characteristics, making for a more believable experience.
Old 11 May 2020, 11:11 (Ref:3975493)   #19
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bump - I am thinking about buying PC2 to help me get through lock down have the bugs been sorted out or should I leave well alone?
Old 11 May 2020, 11:32 (Ref:3975497)   #20
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From what I've read, it's still a mess.

Assetto Corsa Competizione is pretty impressive though. If you like GT3s.
Old 11 May 2020, 14:46 (Ref:3975533)   #21
TireSmoke86
Rookie

United States
Central Florida
TireSmoke86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I drive PCARS2 and Assetto Corsa (the original, not competzione) I don't notice any bugs in my daily use , more performance issues than anything. But I'm not a PC hardware expert and may be able to do some tuning in the future. On my Pimax 5k VR HMD the performance is not fabulous on my mid range system but still very immersive.
Old 11 May 2020, 14:48 (Ref:3975536)   #22
TireSmoke86
Rookie

United States
Central Florida
TireSmoke86 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh and it was just on sale on steam for Golden Week - $12.99 USD and $17.99 for deluxe edition. I have 4 licenses all bought on sale for LAN play. Currently only have 2 sim rigs but working on #3 with a direct drive wheel
Old 11 May 2020, 23:16 (Ref:3975615)   #23
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes I would not touch either of the {CARS games, I would go for either Ac game or praters Automobilsta, or real racing
Old 12 May 2020, 08:56 (Ref:3975657)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I'm still having a lot of fun with PC2 Rob. It's arcady and it's there's nothing like the skill of the old GPL involved but, knowing you, I think you'll like it. The chance to run on the current LM track (or the 60's version) in a variety of modern and historic machinery is probably too good for you to miss. I don't think you'll like AC, it did little for me. I have no bugs at all with PC2. I have a decent spec of PC, but you will definitely need a wheel and pedals. None of that old GPL keyboard or keypad nonsense!
Old 12 May 2020, 09:56 (Ref:3975674)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
AC is basically all I play.

I own a few sims (Automobilista 2, Project CARS etc), but AC just gives me the most lifelike driving feel that is possible through a £140 steering wheel (all things considered).

If you want to get really really into it there is a huge modding scene too where the entire sim is basically being overhauled way beyond what the original developers intended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9gsC5vB1Eg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NckNuNkbDYA