Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 11 Mar 2018, 17:37 (Ref:3807379)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A 5th FCY as Jack Harvey off at Turn 1.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 18:08 (Ref:3807380)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The race has settled down and it looks like it could turn out to be quite intriguing but unfortunately I have to stop watching and be somewhere else.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 18:17 (Ref:3807385)   #28
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
That was a bit more than just a 'clip' by Dixon on Sato.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 18:44 (Ref:3807389)   #29
BudLightJaguar
Veteran

Finland
BudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBudLightJaguar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rossi is pro driver, no doubt about that. Great handling.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 18:58 (Ref:3807390)   #30
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Rossi is pro driver, no doubt about that. Great handling.
It's almost like he read your post.

Rossi bottles it and takes out the leader. Bourdais wins.

The new car is a grand success, however.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 18:59 (Ref:3807391)   #31
pafe
Rookie

Germany
North-Germany
pafe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Poor Wickens

Cars are great, bit oldschool racing
Old 11 Mar 2018, 19:06 (Ref:3807392)   #32
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Same old Rossi. Fast. Mistakes.

Wickens class act.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 19:12 (Ref:3807394)   #33
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The new cars are indeed fantastic.

Real pity to end such an entertaining if messy race that way, Wickens deserved it. Clumsy over-ambition from Rossi. Some things never change? If someone had to pick up the pieces, Bourdais is a hard one to be unhappy about though.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 19:25 (Ref:3807397)   #34
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wickens got a terrible restart unlike the other 2-dozen {sigh} times.

The yellows for cars being stalled in so annoying, can't they get them out of the way, especially right after a yellow, where everyone is together?

I knew Max Chilton was going to stall. He's such a waste....He could spend 20-years in indy cars and he'll never win damn race. #paydriver he should be in LMP2 with the other gentleman drivers!

Rossi went for it, you can't blame him

Glad for Bourdais.

Sad for Wickens. My money is RW wins at Long Beach and might win the championship.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 20:31 (Ref:3807412)   #35
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agree, it was a bit of a clunky restart from Wickens, though it looked like when he realized Rossi was hanging on his tail he tried slowing things down at the apex to balk him and then getting on the power. It worked enough that Rossi couldn't quite get far alongside enough to pass. Unfortunately not enough to deter him from trying!
Old 11 Mar 2018, 21:25 (Ref:3807416)   #36
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That was a real shame
Old 11 Mar 2018, 22:22 (Ref:3807419)   #37
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Wickens, talk about a sound rookie hiring.

I always get nervous for any driver that wins that first race. I fear that's a jinx for the rest of the season.

Anyhow, congrats to Bourdais on this win.
Old 11 Mar 2018, 23:23 (Ref:3807422)   #38
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
Canadian driver. Probably should have got to F1 but didn’t make it.
My bad, I remember seeing a few interviews with him last year. He is good friends with Hinch. That is also a testament to the last time I followed DTM.

It's a shame how Wickens day ended, but hard to blame Rossi too. Last year that back of his car would have "stuck" there. New car, different responses - Just one of them racin' deals. Congrats to Seabass though!
Old 12 Mar 2018, 00:57 (Ref:3807431)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Result

Congrats to Bourdais and Dale Coyne.

I had a feeling he might win it. I look forward to watching the rest of what seemed to be a good race, when IndyCar post it on their YouTube channel.

Six Honda's in the top 6. Do Chevy have their work cut out?

1 Sebastien Bourdais, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 110. 2h17m48.4954s
2 Graham Rahal, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 110. 0.1269s
3 Alexander Rossi, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 110. 0.7109s
4 James Hinchcliffe, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 110, 1.5175s
5 Ryan Hunter-Reay, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 110. 1.9907s
6 Scott Dixon, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Honda. 110. 2.2716s
7 Josef Newgarden, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 110. 3.3842s
8 Ed Jones, Chip Ganassi Racing. Dallara/Honda. 110. 4.2992s
9 Marco Andretti, Andretti Herta. Dallara/Honda. 110. 4.8363s
10 Will Power, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 110. 6.1272s
11 Tony Kanaan, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Chevrolet. 110. 6.5176s
12 Takuma Sato, Rahal Letterman Lanigan. Dallara/Honda. 110. 7.4005s
13 Simon Pagenaud, Team Penske. Dallara/Chevrolet. 110. 7.9903s
14 Gabby Chaves, Harding Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 110. 9.2272s
15 Spencer Pigot, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 109. 1 Lap
16 Zach Veach, Andretti Autosport. Dallara/Honda. 109. 1 Lap
17 Zachary Claman, Dale Coyne Racing. Dallara/Honda. 109. 1 Lap
18 Robert Wickens, Schmidt Peterson Motorsports. Dallara/Honda. 108. Contact
19 Max Chilton, Carlin Dallara/Chevrolet. 108. 2 Laps
20 Charlie Kimball, Carlin. Dallara/Chevrolet. 107. 3 Laps
21 Jordan King, Ed Carpenter Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 107 3 Laps
22 Rene Binder, Juncos Racing. Dallara/Chevrolet. 100. Contact
22 Jack Harvey, Michael Shank Racing. Dallara/Honda. 38 Spun off
24 Matheus Leist, AJ Foyt Enterprises. Dallara/Chevrolet. 16. Contact
Old 12 Mar 2018, 13:44 (Ref:3807501)   #40
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
I'm surprised so many are saying it was a good race with all the cautions. I thought it was a decent race, interesting at least. Too many cautions, but when you dig into why, it makes it understandable and hopeful for the future. We won't see rahal, power and dixon make as big of mistakes all year. They just have to adjust to the new cars.

It is cool to see a series make the adjustment that has been suggested for every series looking to improve the racing: less downforce/more power. While not the best race, it hints at a fun season ahead.

So who might struggle adjusting to low downforce?
Old 12 Mar 2018, 13:53 (Ref:3807503)   #41
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Power *could've* won that race. But there's do doubt it, Chevy got a deficit to claw back.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 14:17 (Ref:3807507)   #42
Speedblood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Home counties or a racetrack.
Speedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSpeedblood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
By St Pete standards it was a very good race, hopefully a good omen for racier tracks of the past few years (Barber etc) and hopefully a much needed improvement for places like Phoenix.
Shame the final incident somewhat tainted the rest of the race but with a lot of eyes on the new aero kit to see how it faired I thought it led to some superb driving and racing. Definitely glad to see a lot less yellows for debris!
Leist and King showed great potential for the year, I felt King could have been a contender for the win if not for the puncture.
Wickens definitely deserved the win, if Rossi had passed cleanly though I would have been more than happy as well as he had to work his way through the pack at times and pulled off some great moves earlier in the race. Just a shame the last one was a bit of a blunder...
Old 12 Mar 2018, 16:57 (Ref:3807530)   #43
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
What a way to start the season! At this pace, I'll be out of breath before Indy.

Some drivers were a bit too optimistic, especially in turn one. And some were utterly disoriented.
Old 12 Mar 2018, 21:45 (Ref:3807584)   #44
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
No disrespect intended but, who is Robert Wickens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudLightJaguar View Post
Six seasons in German DTM wasn't too bad as we can see from his result.
Formula BMW USA champion 2006; F2 runner-up 2009; and again in GP3 2010; and WSR 3.5 series champion in 2011.

Former Red Bull junior until Helmut frickin' what's-his-name cut him loose.

(Surprised I'm not bitter!)
Old 13 Mar 2018, 00:21 (Ref:3807621)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I thought for once, St. Pete delivered a creditable season opener, despite the plethora of FCYs.

Some interesting comments from Sebastien Bourdais, in particular about getting the balance of the car right, with the new aero-kit.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/134790

"With this [new aerokit], we're still missing the balance between front and rear for this type of track.

"We're not completely on top of what this car does, what changes do what.

"At Barber we should be OK, but on street courses, we've got work to do."

I think that's a fair assessment, as the new aero-kit is still an unknown quantity but I think it really bodes well for the rest of the season and it looks so much better than what went on before.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 01:38 (Ref:3807640)   #46
leothedrummer
Racer

leothedrummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Enjoyed the race, didn't enjoy the broadcast! I think it's a bit unnecessary for us to cut away from the action to follow a car limping back to the pits, or stay focused on a car that is stopped off track. Sure a quick glimpse to explain what's happening is fine, but we don't need to sit there for an entire lap looking at a stationary vehicle.

Past that though, loved the way the car races with this aero pack. The yellows weren't fun but the long green running was great. Looking forward to more!
Old 13 Mar 2018, 13:38 (Ref:3807743)   #47
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, ABC can't help but to screw up a broadcast for IndyCar. The announcers are brutal, and they just screw things up. The first restart of the season was missed by being late coming back from commercial. They said wickens was due to pit in 2 laps, so they would take a quick break and come back to see it. Come back and wickens is in a different place and they make a "oh by the way.." To let us know he pit... While they were at commercial. Another restart, had side by side as they went green, as the cars hurtled into turn one, side by side goes away and the ABC imaging covers the screen for a couple seconds, as we are missing the cars go into turn one.... Plenty more, obviously the constant mention of Indy 500. But man I wish nbcsn had every race.
Old 13 Mar 2018, 21:02 (Ref:3807795)   #48
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
I'm not a fan of ABC's race coverage but at least during most of the commercial breaks, there was a second screen showing the race.