Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 13 Jan 2008, 19:05 (Ref:2105420)   #51
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stradlin21

i predicted this about 3 months ago so let's hope it comes off
You're nearly as reliable as Robin Miller mate.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 18:10 (Ref:2106788)   #52
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
According to the Panther website

PJ Chesson is close to agreeing a deal to become their 2nd driver alongside Meira

i predicted this about 3 months ago so let's hope it comes off

it appears they are also strongly considering Brent Sherman for their IPS effort

Leilana Munter and AJ Foyt IV have also been mentioned on their website although if recent rumours are to be believed then Foyt IV will end up back at Vision as they downsize to two cars

Munter and Sherman tested for Panther a short time ago. Sherman was a NASCAR driver who won a race in the Busch Series and competed in the Cup Series for BAM Motorsports. The Chesson deal is contingent on PJ's dad getting his divorce final and freeing up the family money. The drivers of The IndyCar Series and the Pro Series were in Indianapolis last week for physicals and safety meetings and Tomas S. was strangely missing.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 21:45 (Ref:2106898)   #53
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a huge update for The Pro Series. I learned today that Rapharl Matos has signed with AGR-AFS Racing to do the entire Pro Series this year. AFS is owned by Gary Peterson owner of AFS Fire protection in California. Raphael is the first driver not driving for Kevin Kalkoven to win the Atlantics Championship and according to Raphael he found out that the $ 2 million dollar prize was actually $ 200,000 in cash and the rest applied towards a $5 million dollar Champ Car ride but only if he brought the rest of the $3.2 million dollars to run the season. Raphael is going to be a great driver as he is a very, very good driver right now Running this full season with AFS will get him used to ovals and hopefully he can move up to IndyCar nest season or 2010. IndyCar teams are beginning to notice drivers plying their craft in the Pro Series as look at what has happened to Alex Lloyd, Jay Howard and Hideki Mutoh.

Last edited by Team Owner; 15 Jan 2008 at 21:48.
Old 15 Jan 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2106943)   #54
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Owner
Raphael is the first driver not driving for Kevin Kalkoven to win the Atlantics Championship
Simon Pagenaud won it in 2006 driving for Team Australia.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 02:17 (Ref:2107016)   #55
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
stradlin21 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Munter and Sherman tested for Panther a short time ago. Sherman was a NASCAR driver who won a race in the Busch Series and competed in the Cup Series for BAM Motorsports. The Chesson deal is contingent on PJ's dad getting his divorce final and freeing up the family money. The drivers of The IndyCar Series and the Pro Series were in Indianapolis last week for physicals and safety meetings and Tomas S. was strangely missing.
yes, i know who Brent Sherman is. i may be from 'across the pond' but I do know about IRL and NASCAR..................and other forms of racing including Championsip Off Road Racing, go Carl Renezeder, V8 Supercars from Australia mate, tie me kangeroo down sport and also the WTCC which stands for World Touring Car Championship, not bad to know.....i don't own a team though, unless you count my Scaletrix team which in a recent tournement against my 2 and a half year old son emerged victorious after 3 gruelling laps, i think it only right to be a competitive dad, therefore, they learn quick and want to be winners, it's 2.15am in the UK and I have bad flu, forgive me if i'm mumbling on but there isn't a whole lot to do at this time and when you can't sleep it's terrible, although I think Sky Sports are showing the Australia v India cricket test match soon so that might keep me entertained for a couple of hours until the Lempsip Max Strength kicks in (blackcurrent flavour though, so shouldn't be blackcurrentsip?)

but I digress, i watched the video's of the meeting at Indy on the indycar website and it was also noted by Curt Cavin that Scheckter wasn't present

PJ Chesson was seen on the video with just his shorts on which made my flu even worse and Sarah Fisher was also there, but thankfully she had more than just her shorts on

According to the Panther website the deal for Chesson should be finalised soon..........here's hoping
Old 16 Jan 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2107183)   #56
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Here's a huge update for The Pro Series. I learned today that Rapharl Matos has signed with AGR-AFS Racing to do the entire Pro Series this year. AFS is owned by Gary Peterson owner of AFS Fire protection in California. Raphael is the first driver not driving for Kevin Kalkoven to win the Atlantics Championship and according to Raphael he found out that the $ 2 million dollar prize was actually $ 200,000 in cash and the rest applied towards a $5 million dollar Champ Car ride but only if he brought the rest of the $3.2 million dollars to run the season. Raphael is going to be a great driver as he is a very, very good driver right now Running this full season with AFS will get him used to ovals and hopefully he can move up to IndyCar nest season or 2010. IndyCar teams are beginning to notice drivers plying their craft in the Pro Series as look at what has happened to Alex Lloyd, Jay Howard and Hideki Mutoh.

Wow! I mean, what decision that one is! And what does that say about CC's commitment to their ladder program? Much has been made of the $2 million grubsteak and to find out the reality is much different is disappointing to say the least. Not surprising though....

You are right, Team Owner, Matos has the goods - and he is a great kid, a little on the quiet side but I was impressed to see him jogging early in the morning while most everyone else (like me!) was thinking about getting some coffee...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2107184)   #57
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
as look at what has happened to Alex Lloyd, Jay Howard and Hideki Mutoh.
Nothing as yet, I think at the end of 2008 will be more telling.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2107198)   #58
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
And what does that say about CC's commitment to their ladder program? Much has been made of the $2 million grubsteak and to find out the reality is much different is disappointing to say the least. Not surprising though....
Don't want to accidentally start a troll war, but for the record they were always very clear that the $2m was only for putting towards a CCWS drive.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:26 (Ref:2107210)   #59
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Agree that we have to be careful, but the implication was that it was $2 million in cash - with no strings - that would go with him to any CC ride.

I guess it always pays to read the fine print...

In any event, Matos is a good shoe and he should show well in IPS.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:40 (Ref:2107218)   #60
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not meaning to inflame anything here but there is nothing official to say Rafa needed to bring another 3.2 mill to get a ride.

Simon Pagenaud sure would though
Old 16 Jan 2008, 11:47 (Ref:2107222)   #61
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Team Owner has proven to be honest with us in the past. I really have no reason to believe his information is not accurate...
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2107238)   #62
D.R.T.
Veteran

Not trying to devalue Team Owners reputation but I wouldnt think its enough info to pass judgment on.

Surely Pagenaud is testament to the success of the program.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2107244)   #63
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T.
Not trying to devalue Team Owners reputation but I wouldnt think its enough info to pass judgment on.

Surely Pagenaud is testament to the success of the program.

Sorry i'm a bit confused here, you said Pagenaud is a testament to the sucess of the program, a guy that didn't get a podium and was easily out performed by his teammate who isn't excatly a household name

Yet Howard, Lloyd and Mutoh aren't proof that the Pro Series is working, despite the fact that two of those drivers have landed drives in the best teams on the grid and the other in the fastest growing team on the grid?

Anyways, moving on..............if the Matos story is true that then is one hell of a victory for the IPS. To get one of the best new talents in US racing is major news for the IRL and hopefully he will be groomed into one of their own after it appears he has been disillusioned with his treatment at Champ Car, maybe because he isn't one of Kevin's babies

I guess the next few days will give us all the details....
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:28 (Ref:2107246)   #64
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Sorry i'm a bit confused here, you said Pagenaud is a testament to the sucess of the program, a guy that didn't get a podium and was easily out performed by his teammate who isn't excatly a household name
I would take a closer look at the results of Pagenaud and there context before making such vague statements.

From all quarters his rookie year was applauded, yours is the first criticism I have come across.

Quote:
Yet Howard, Lloyd and Mutoh aren't proof that the Pro Series is working, despite the fact that two of those drivers have landed drives in the best teams
No disrespect to IPS (or even Atlantics) but I think this more of a lack of other options. Two HUGE drives go to the Engine suppliers favourite boy and an ALMS steerer.

Does Loyd driving for D&R make it one of the best teams?

Quote:
To get one of the best new talents in US racing is major news for the IRL
I am not sure you spoke so highly of him during last years season.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2107253)   #65
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
so if you want to use 'vague' statements

find me some of my comments about Matos during last season please
Old 16 Jan 2008, 12:41 (Ref:2107257)   #66
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Since when was Lloyd driving for D&R? i know it's been suggested but it's not confirmed

Just like someone has 'suggested' that Matos is going to the IPS

so the Lloyd thing is happening but the Matos thing is not???

hey, i see a pattern here............very selective mate!

still waiting for those Matos comments btw
Old 16 Jan 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2107546)   #67
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Agree that we have to be careful, but the implication was that it was $2 million in cash - with no strings - that would go with him to any CC ride.

I guess it always pays to read the fine print...

In any event, Matos is a good shoe and he should show well in IPS.
Total bull****. It was never, ever, ever, EVER announced as $2 mil in cash. It was always intented as a prize to be put forward towards a champcar ride and was announced as such and is stated as such on the atlantic website. Don't try to spin something into something it is not.

Like the old $100k Barber saab/dodge "career advancement" award, this is the same. It is to help you as champion, it's not a full paid guaranteed ride. If I was Atlantic champion I'd be damn grateful to have it, instead of having squat.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 21:49 (Ref:2107579)   #68
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
it doesn't appear to have done Matos much good does it...

According to some Champ Car fans he was "certain" of getting a drive for this coming season............................tumbleweed
Old 16 Jan 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2107636)   #69
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
it doesn't appear to have done Matos much good does it...

According to some Champ Car fans he was "certain" of getting a drive for this coming season............................tumbleweed
Well straddles there was never any guarantee of any ride. Again it was a prize to help you move up. If one looks back to the 100K prize Skip Barber provided for more than a dozen years, some made good use of it, some didn't.

The $2 mil prize has been here for two years. Pagenaud made good use of it and got his foot in the door.

As a race car driver, your career is in your hands.
Old 16 Jan 2008, 23:07 (Ref:2107640)   #70
stradlin21
Veteran

England
Near Leeds, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Well straddles there was never any guarantee of any ride. Again it was a prize to help you move up. If one looks back to the 100K prize Skip Barber provided for more than a dozen years, some made good use of it, some didn't.

The $2 mil prize has been here for two years. Pagenaud made good use of it and got his foot in the door.

As a race car driver, your career is in your hands.
yes, I agree with you there but surely there must have been some desire to hold on to him in champ car

of course i'll be happy if he comes to the IRL, quality drivers aren't easy to find but surely a Champ Car team could have found him a seat

i honestly thought he would be good for a PKV or Minardi seat and eventually would go all the way

and if he lives up to his promise i see no reason why he couldn't get use to the ovals and go all the way in the IRL

but the story isn't even stone dead confirmed yet so we'll see

but, straddles?
Old 16 Jan 2008, 23:49 (Ref:2107663)   #71
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
I'm all about free will so if he wants to go to ips then have fun and all the best. I can't put him in a headlock and force him to sign with a champcar team. If he doesn't want to be in champcar, then I'd rather not have him.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 02:58 (Ref:2107733)   #72
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Total bull****. It was never, ever, ever, EVER announced as $2 mil in cash. It was always intented as a prize to be put forward towards a champcar ride and was announced as such and is stated as such on the atlantic website. Don't try to spin something into something it is not.

Like the old $100k Barber saab/dodge "career advancement" award, this is the same. It is to help you as champion, it's not a full paid guaranteed ride. If I was Atlantic champion I'd be damn grateful to have it, instead of having squat.
Why, thank you for the compliment! Except it was not me who was trumpeting that the winner of Atlantic would have $2 million to put toward a CC ride, or $2 million to take to the team he signs with, etc. If it wasn't to be $2 million in the form of cash, cashier's check, money order or S & H Greenstamps, why then was the dollar sign in use? When you say "two million dollars" and write "two million dollars" in press releases and in fact I think when Matos won the championship they even gave him one of those great big checks like they do in the PGA or the Pro Bowler's Tour and it had "Two Million Dollars" written on it. Based on all of that, why I can see where the Great Unwashed out here would be thinking: "They must be giving him $2 million towards his CC ride!" BUT NO! Of Course They Are Not Really Giving Him Two Million Dollars! They are just saying that! He should be darn happy to have that big honkin' cardboard check! People in the know were able to discern that a mile away, they just never have bothered to mention it here in the span of time from when he won it to when he realized it wasn't worth the cardboard it was written on.

Further, neither I nor anyone else said anything about the award being a full ride. If (and I have no reason to doubt what Team Owner stated) it is true that the activation fee was $3.2 million in the form of sponsorship the driver has to secure, the driver was in effect given squat.

Every Tristan, Katherine and Bobby looking for a ride in CC knows they need to find at least that much...

Last edited by JohnSSC; 17 Jan 2008 at 03:03.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 03:42 (Ref:2107749)   #73
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What does it matter? For the 20 people who will actually hear about this and the 2 that will actually care, does it really matter? I never saw the presentation but it would not have surprised me if there was a throw away comment about the $2m being for a CC ride...but I am not here to discuss CC...

Has anyone heard anything more on getting that second RLR car going again?
Old 17 Jan 2008, 03:45 (Ref:2107750)   #74
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Why, thank you for the compliment! Except it was not me who was trumpeting that the winner of Atlantic would have $2 million to put toward a CC ride, or $2 million to take to the team he signs with, etc. If it wasn't to be $2 million in the form of cash, cashier's check, money order or S & H Greenstamps, why then was the dollar sign in use? When you say "two million dollars" and write "two million dollars" in press releases and in fact I think when Matos won the championship they even gave him one of those great big checks like they do in the PGA or the Pro Bowler's Tour and it had "Two Million Dollars" written on it. Based on all of that, why I can see where the Great Unwashed out here would be thinking: "They must be giving him $2 million towards his CC ride!" BUT NO! Of Course They Are Not Really Giving Him Two Million Dollars! They are just saying that! He should be darn happy to have that big honkin' cardboard check! People in the know were able to discern that a mile away, they just never have bothered to mention it here in the span of time from when he won it to when he realized it wasn't worth the cardboard it was written on.

Further, neither I nor anyone else said anything about the award being a full ride. If (and I have no reason to doubt what Team Owner stated) it is true that the activation fee was $3.2 million in the form of sponsorship the driver has to secure, the driver was in effect given squat.

Every Tristan, Katherine and Bobby looking for a ride in CC knows they need to find at least that much...
Unbelievable. There again it's a prize to help you move up the ladder to champcar. They are giving you $2 million dollars. For a champcar ride. Been the case since day 1! What are you *****ing about?

It's up to the DRIVER to negotiate his own ride. Maybe he did have to find another $3.2 mil. But since team owner was not aparty to every negotiation between every team, we'll have to take that at face value, a rumored one figure from one team.

The DRIVER was not given SQUAT! He was given $2 mil towards a champcar ride which is a good headstart.

What this proves to me is that you will complain no matter what. What if no prize existed at all? What if it was a full ride with a $1 million dollar paycheck? You would still complain and complain and complain.
Old 17 Jan 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2107923)   #75
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Hmmm, there seems to be a lot of complaining going on...

I re-read my posts and I am still trying to figure out where I am even implying that this is a take the cash and go forth in the world proposition. It has been clear to me from the start that the $$ was to fund a CC ride. Period. We can find plenty to discuss without misrepresenting what I am writing in the first place...

As far as "negotiating" goes, what Team Owner said at least implies that whatever deal the Atlantic winner negotiates, they only get the money from CC IF they secure the additional funding.

I agree that there may only be 20 or so people who still give a crap, but if this was a matching funds scheme all along they should have said so. CC never seems to miss a chance to lose an opportunity, do they?