Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 29 Aug 2011, 21:43 (Ref:2947966)   #26
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
For those that haven't seen the track map:

I wonder if any of those hotels have balconies. That might be a pretty fun way to watch a race especially if the room is a few stories up. It would be like having a private suite at the ballgame.
Old 29 Aug 2011, 21:44 (Ref:2947968)   #27
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGD View Post
More of the latter. Level 5 has only raced in 3 ALMS races this season, but even that figure is deceiving. They raced at the ILMC shared event at Sebring and then did Long Beach, but not really. They did not bother to qualify, withdrew one car, and then just did the minimum number of laps to score points in the other other car. Road America would be the 3rd race.
They've been so invisible and bland this year that I can only remember a couple of spĂ*ns and podium from Le Mans. And those BS excuses given on Long Beach broadcasts
Old 29 Aug 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2947978)   #28
AGD
Veteran

AGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAGD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
They've been so invisible and bland this year that I can only remember a couple of spĂ*ns and podium from Le Mans. And those BS excuses given on Long Beach broadcasts
Invisible is right, but let's face it, the ILMC TV race director only shows LMP2s if they spin/crash pretty much and there has been very little reason for the ALMS director to show them if they are racing against themselves (unless they spin/crash of course). Ultimately, I guess being invisible isn't a bad thing given what it would take for them to get on TV. Of course, they certainly were not invisible with that hard hit at Spa!
Old 29 Aug 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2947983)   #29
Guardian
Racer

United States
Maryland
Guardian should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I wonder if any of those hotels have balconies. That might be a pretty fun way to watch a race especially if the room is a few stories up. It would be like having a private suite at the ballgame.

They do, but the price is staggering as they have food and bev. minimums that were ridiculous... My brother-in-law and several of his friends and I looked into it, but it was too steep. So we just opted for regular seats.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2948361)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Lol ..... the start straight is called "PRATT STREET" ..... thats a name could stick if someone has a big screw up ..... Pratt Street , lmfao .
Old 30 Aug 2011, 16:35 (Ref:2948390)   #31
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And so it begins...

Pit Row is filling with lawsuits
Quote:
-- Two recent lawsuits have called into question whether the promoters that persuaded IndyCar and the American Le Mans Series to stage races here can actually foot the bill.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 16:54 (Ref:2948400)   #32
Deleted
Veteran

By the way, this race is set out to be the only round of the season when they are gonna do that docu-drama thingie with some car salesman narrator again - hence why ABC is showing it a week later. So if you liked Intersport's Laguna and Mid-Ohio CBS broadcasts last year, I guess this is for you.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 16:58 (Ref:2948404)   #33
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

San Jose
Houston Reliant Park
Belle Isle
Denver 1
Denver 2
Detroit (F1)
Del Mar
Dallas
Columbus
Las Vegas
Phoenix (F1)
Phoenix (CCWS)
Houston
Washington DC
San Antonio
Meadowlands
Bayfront Park, Miami
Bicentennial Park, Miami
Tamiami Park, Miami
Tampa
Palm Beach
San Jose
New Orleans
Minneapolis

May the force be with you, Baltimore.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 21:45 (Ref:2948605)   #34
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
By the way, this race is set out to be the only round of the season when they are gonna do that docu-drama thingie with some car salesman narrator again - hence why ABC is showing it a week later. So if you liked Intersport's Laguna and Mid-Ohio CBS broadcasts last year, I guess this is for you.
I'm not sure if what you are saying is correct. The ALMS website (and my local listings) are showing the telecast airing the day after the race (Sept. 4th). I don't know if it will be a docu-drama or not.

As for the promoter not having enough money, isn't that considered a "duh" statement? It is really hard to believe that cities still get fleeced by those hucksters after all these years. But don't worry, MotoRock will solve everything!
Old 30 Aug 2011, 22:08 (Ref:2948624)   #35
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
I'm not sure if what you are saying is correct. The ALMS website (and my local listings) are showing the telecast airing the day after the race (Sept. 4th). I don't know if it will be a docu-drama or not.
O.K I did a little bit of research myself and it turns out that I had been looking at some very outdated info from the start of the season. The race was originally supposed to be a docudrama indeed (with september 11 air date), but they cancelled it and now it's just the usual O'Connell orgasm show. Can't say I'm too disappointed.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2948633)   #36
AGD
Veteran

Quote:
I thought the docu-dramas were pretty good. It would be one thing if that those were the only way to see the race, but it was a decent supplement. I don't think non-Americans realize how much NFL Films helped popularize American football with similar type shows, although we're talking about two very different sports obviously.

Having said that, I like Till, Adam, and Johnny O's commentary and they should be able to cover almost the whole race so it should be pretty good.

The key thing is that the ALMS is avoiding going up head-to-head against the start of the NFL season by airing the race the day after. Maybe they can get 900k again this weekend, but they would be lucky to get 9 households the week after.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 19:33 (Ref:2949017)   #37
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Audi Racer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbDXD...layer_embedded

for anyone who hasnt watched the layout yet. its a onboard ride.

this track looks very difficult. i hope its ALOT wider and that the barriers arent so close. i feel like people will collide with the walls trying to ride the chicanes and thats just embarrasing.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 19:48 (Ref:2949030)   #38
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbDXD...layer_embedded

for anyone who hasnt watched the layout yet. its a onboard ride.

this track looks very difficult. i hope its ALOT wider and that the barriers arent so close. i feel like people will collide with the walls trying to ride the chicanes and thats just embarrasing.
Turn Five should be a hoot! Only 2 Hours, we will see how much of it is run under the safety car.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 20:11 (Ref:2949051)   #39
Deleted
Veteran

Knowing ALMS it'll be 40min minimum for any sc interruption...

That turn 5-7 combo looks like something from V8 Supercars, really digging it
Old 31 Aug 2011, 20:13 (Ref:2949052)   #40
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Turn 7 looks a bit strange
Old 31 Aug 2011, 20:23 (Ref:2949058)   #41
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
its looks like turns 5 to 7 will make or break your laptime
Old 31 Aug 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2949059)   #42
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Audi Racer, the track looks to be 3-4 lanes wide for the entire lap. That's actually quite wide for a street circuit.

Turns 1 and 3 look like good overtaking zones. Turn 5 should be decent also, as long as the guy being passed isn't a complete idiot. Turns 4 and 8 have some potential, if the guy in front exits the previous corner poorly. Turn 12 I think could be a good passing place as well. Also, if you mess up your line there at 11/12, you could be a real sitting duck coming onto the main straight on Pratt Street.
Old 31 Aug 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2949069)   #43
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Wow, sounds great. Perhaps this event might even last more than 3 years...
Old 31 Aug 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2949072)   #44
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Knowing ALMS it'll be 40min minimum for any sc interruption...

That turn 5-7 combo looks like something from V8 Supercars, really digging it
I can just imagine how some of the LMPC and GTC "drivers" will handle that complex, especially while being overtaken by the LMP and GT guys.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 00:42 (Ref:2949174)   #45
Audi Racer
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCosworthPanoz View Post
I can just imagine how some of the LMPC and GTC "drivers" will handle that complex, especially while being overtaken by the LMP and GT guys.
if were lucky the lmpc and gtc cars wont make it past the first lap . thyell all pile up in turns 5,6 and 7. then once they spend 40 mins cleaning the wreckage up. well just have P1 and GTE. and it will be amazing!
Old 1 Sep 2011, 00:44 (Ref:2949176)   #46
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather watch the amazing moves of the pro drivers getting around slower cars on a street course than wish the gentleman drivers who keep sportscar racing going crash out....

Looking forward to this race however, quite a technical track in places which should make for some great racing
Old 1 Sep 2011, 00:53 (Ref:2949178)   #47
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi Racer View Post
if were lucky the lmpc and gtc cars wont make it past the first lap . thyell all pile up in turns 5,6 and 7. then once they spend 40 mins cleaning the wreckage up. well just have P1 and GTE. and it will be amazing!
If an LMPC car wrecks in that complex, guess who it takes with them? The front of the GT field! So I sure as hell hope this doesnt happen. I just dont see somebody crashing in that area in race conditions without causing a major pile up.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 02:46 (Ref:2949199)   #48
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Guys, you're REALLY over-estimating how many of the LMPC and GTC drivers who are a particular worry to bin the car.

The Turn 5, left/right flick doesn't look that awful. Even with a fair few "amateur" drivers, FIA GT did NOT have a crash fest at Bucharest, where they had more than one of these lane-switching chicanes. Turn 5 has an escape road. And anyway, I'd be more concerned with the hard right that follows, and the apparent wall jutting out at that point. However, at that point, the field will pretty much have to be single-file, so I'm not sure that that sport will be a huge worry either.

Even looking at the temporary circuits F1 runs at (and I mean Montreal and Melbourne here), there are choke points where even a partially broadside car would block the track. At Melbourne, it's between Turns 5 and 6, as well as after Turn 7. And the Turn 5 sweeper at Montreal was the site of one mother of a Star Mazda pile-up/stunt show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXKt1G5fec

Finally, that simulation makes it look like the lanes are more on the order of 8-9ft wide, when a road lane is actually 12ft wide. So, it will look narrow at speed with the walls right there, but not as narrow, I don't think, as this simulation might indicate.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 03:06 (Ref:2949204)   #49
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Guys, you're REALLY over-estimating how many of the LMPC and GTC drivers who are a particular worry to bin the car.

The Turn 5, left/right flick doesn't look that awful. Even with a fair few "amateur" drivers, FIA GT did NOT have a crash fest at Bucharest, where they had more than one of these lane-switching chicanes. Turn 5 has an escape road. And anyway, I'd be more concerned with the hard right that follows, and the apparent wall jutting out at that point. However, at that point, the field will pretty much have to be single-file, so I'm not sure that that sport will be a huge worry either.

Even looking at the temporary circuits F1 runs at (and I mean Montreal and Melbourne here), there are choke points where even a partially broadside car would block the track. At Melbourne, it's between Turns 5 and 6, as well as after Turn 7. And the Turn 5 sweeper at Montreal was the site of one mother of a Star Mazda pile-up/stunt show.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRXKt1G5fec

Finally, that simulation makes it look like the lanes are more on the order of 8-9ft wide, when a road lane is actually 12ft wide. So, it will look narrow at speed with the walls right there, but not as narrow, I don't think, as this simulation might indicate.
Have you watched LMPC this year? Half the PC field seems to be driving like idiots! GTC hasnt been that bad but then there is the Orange Bathtub. Please tell me this after the race is over on Saturday, and Im sure as hell hope you are right. Id rather watch a boring street parade than a boring street parade crashfest.

I will be much more impressed if the race/event lasts longer than Belle Isle or Houston did than if the race is clean though!

P.S. the GT battle should be really good though! If it rains then another Falken victory is likely.

Last edited by FordCosworthPanoz; 1 Sep 2011 at 03:16.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 03:24 (Ref:2949207)   #50
arakis
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade,Serbia
arakis has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
dam just watched the simulation video, boy are we gonna see safty cars in this race, I expec at least 3 in the 2h race.
the track doesent seem to be forgiving at all. Its gonna be a free for all, and I seriosly think luck will play in 90% of the result
To launch a new FIA GT2 category based on strict technical rules, with limited wavers and ‘balance of performance' limited to success ballast. A category where GT manufacturers will prove through competition they can produce the best road going GT car.