Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 5 Jan 2014, 01:34 (Ref:3350464)   #1
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"I never knew that"

In June we'll be celebrating the great race's 91st birthday. Which sounds like a long time.

But that's nothing compared to the aggregate years of all of us on this forum - that, would surely go into centuries!

Over the years, we've gained so much knowledge and information at Le Mans. And almost all of it is useless - and a lot of it isn't shared.

Here's your chance to share the knowledge you don't think anyone else knows. Teach us something we don't know already. Don't bottle it up!

I'll start. On the circuit's basic modern layout - assuming the Mulsanne Chicanes to be last truly significant change - the slowest qualifying time for a car allowed to start the Le Mans 24 Hours was the Debora - starting 29th (!) in 1992 with a laptime of 4:49.010.

To put that into context for you, in the 2013 Le Mans Legends race, Ludovic Caron set a time of 4:43.918s in an AC Cobra Daytona Coupe...from 1963.

Here's a picture of the little beauty

Old 5 Jan 2014, 09:18 (Ref:3350527)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah yes, the famous 'Debora pirouettes' as Bob Constanduros was oft heard to remark......
Old 8 Jan 2014, 09:34 (Ref:3351504)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Ah yes, the famous 'Debora pirouettes' as Bob Constanduros was oft heard to remark......
I first came across it after seeing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0Jdvfg5Knc

To be fair, its slow laptime probably had something to do with the 18 spins it made on its way back to the finish line.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 18:54 (Ref:3351722)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And that footage even has the quote.........
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:19 (Ref:3351739)   #5
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
And that footage even has the quote.........
Indeed.

For ages, I've thought that voice to be Paul Trusswell's, until I was told otherwise. Always considered there voice rather similar. I presume I'm alone on that one though.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:24 (Ref:3351742)   #6
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
No you're not alone in this. For the first 5-10 seconds I thought the same. They have a very similar way of talking. Similar, but not the same.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:28 (Ref:3351744)   #7
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
It is Paul Truswell's at first! Then Bob comes in. At least, that's what I think - there seems to be two different voices.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:37 (Ref:3351749)   #8
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
Yes indeed! The second guy's first words are 'Debora Pirouettes'. So maybe the first speaker is Paul Trusswell after all?
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:51 (Ref:3351758)   #9
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well i must admit that i used to get confused in the old days when they did sound alike and were both on RLM most of the time
Old 8 Jan 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3351760)   #10
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Paul Truswell and Bob Constanduros are two different people? I never knew that.
Old 8 Jan 2014, 20:24 (Ref:3351774)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Oh definitely!

Paul Truswell

Bob Constanduros

Old 8 Jan 2014, 20:25 (Ref:3351776)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincegail View Post
Yes indeed! The second guy's first words are 'Debora Pirouettes'. So maybe the first speaker is Paul Trusswell after all?
Correct.

But Paul only has one 'S'......

Bob:-

Paul: (with James - Bentley03)

Old 16 Jan 2014, 21:53 (Ref:3354921)   #13
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Is that RLM Towers in that photo???
Old 16 Jan 2014, 21:56 (Ref:3354925)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The old one, yes. For years they were in the little box at the top of the main grandstand.

Another shot here:-

But I didn't get to twiddle any knobs......

I've been up there with Paul several times. But now of course they're at the Ford Chicane....

You can see Hindy clearly in this shot - PT is over on the left hand side.
Old 16 Jan 2014, 21:59 (Ref:3354931)   #15
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
So they cannot actually see into the pits anymore? Did they upset someone? The lads, of course, I KNOW Eve wouldn't!!!
Old 16 Jan 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3354934)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Audi moved in and threw their collective towel over the deckchairs......... Say no more.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3355056)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Andrew please do not upset audi other wise they may get the ACO to move our saturday meet to the back of beyond
Old 17 Jan 2014, 09:41 (Ref:3355075)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I think they should reserve one of their hospitality units over the pits for us!
Old 17 Jan 2014, 09:51 (Ref:3355082)   #19
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
no i like the meet being open for everyone to come and go
Old 17 Jan 2014, 12:28 (Ref:3355117)   #20
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am sure I read somewhere that ACO where planning to build some new commentry boxes on the start/finish stright. I think they are meant to be ready next year.
Old 17 Jan 2014, 16:56 (Ref:3355231)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yeah, it's a new FIA initiative to slow the cars down - they're a chicane right in the middle of the start-finish straight........
Old 17 Jan 2014, 17:57 (Ref:3355286)   #22
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones View Post
I am sure I read somewhere that ACO where planning to build some new commentry boxes on the start/finish stright. I think they are meant to be ready next year.
Quote:
Yeah, it's a new FIA initiative to slow the cars down - they're a chicane right in the middle of the start-finish straight........
Commentry boxes?
I thought they were reserved for the FIA VIP's
Old 18 Jan 2014, 21:31 (Ref:3355702)   #23
Trussers
Rookie

Trussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrussers should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hello - just caught up with this thread after a long absence from tenths...
Firstly, the 1992 clip: yes, it starts with me and then Bob joins in. 1992 was the first year that Ian Titchmarsh didn't join Radio Le Mans, so I was in the tribune with Graham Tyler for most of the race... Ian returned in 1993...

As far as the commentary boxes are concerned - again, you guys are correct, for the last two years (2012, 2013) we haven't been able to see into the pits, which is a real pain for me, although we can see the pit entrance. However, last year, 2013, I was getting data through from Al Kamel Systems, (timekeeping organisation), which provides data on the time taken for each pit-stop (although not whether the car goes into the garage).
The biggest problem with the new position is that it does not provide the same ambience... being at the top of the tribune, looking down on the pit straight is a unique view, and being able to watch the build-up to the race from up there for the last twenty-something years has been very special and I miss it dreadfully.
In conversation recently with someone from the ACO, I was reassured to know that the ACO recognises the problem and is taking steps to address it, although I don't think that there will be any change for this year's race.
For views of the race track though, the commentary position at Becketts is hard to beat... hopefully I'll be there again at Easter!
Old 18 Jan 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3355730)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Hope to see you there Paul!
Old 18 Jan 2014, 23:25 (Ref:3355734)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
I'll give the box a kick as I pass, Paul!