Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2010, 09:52 (Ref:2767664)   #1
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche to return?

Quote:
Porsche could make a shock return to Formula 1 racing, Porsche’s new chairman, Matthias Mueller, told Autocar at the Paris motor show today.

When asked about Porsche’s motorsport plans, Mueller told us that Porsche or Audi, but not both, could compete in LMP1 prototype sports car racing; with the other brand turning to Formula 1.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...llCars/253108/
Old 1 Oct 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2767671)   #2
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This could add some excitement, and with there long experience of turbocharging and the renound durability of their engines, this could make real sense.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 11:27 (Ref:2767690)   #3
WapFlap
Racer

Netherlands
The Netherlands
WapFlap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the future for Williams? They helped BMW with building their LMP project and later helped them getting involved with F1, altough Porsche is now part of VAG so they can use the Audi knowledge as well.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 11:47 (Ref:2767699)   #4
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Audi F1, With Porsche support, (similar to Fiats support of ferrari), black livery with Lynx as the principle sponsor.

Thats my guess
Old 1 Oct 2010, 12:33 (Ref:2767719)   #5
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WapFlap View Post
Is this the future for Williams? They helped BMW with building their LMP project and later helped them getting involved with F1, altough Porsche is now part of VAG so they can use the Audi knowledge as well.
VW are a sponsor of Red Bull(and Red Bull also sponsor the VW Dakar cars and the Audi DTM team) and Torro Rosso, so Mateschitz might sell Torro Rosso to Porsche.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 12:43 (Ref:2767726)   #6
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen View Post
VW are a sponsor of Red Bull(and Red Bull also sponsor the VW Dakar cars and the Audi DTM team) and Torro Rosso, so Mateschitz might sell Torro Rosso to Porsche.
Logistically not likely, with STR currently being sold with the Italian factory and the continuance of that team being based there a condition of sale according to Dieter Mateschitz.

I cant see Porsche being too keen on a team with an Italian base.

I could however see the likleyhood of Porsche returning as an engine supplier under the new regs.... and of course a Williams tie up, given their current (Porsche and Williams F1) joint ventures and technical collaborations with race/road car development.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 12:57 (Ref:2767731)   #7
Wims
Veteran

Norway
Wims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridWims should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Porsche as an engine supplier for RBR obviously! That would be great. I seriously doubt that they will do more than supplying engines tho
Old 1 Oct 2010, 13:39 (Ref:2767749)   #8
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Williams also makes F2 cars with Audi engines.

However, VAG is linked with Red Bull in several championships (Dakar, DTM, SWRC), and that route could lead them to fight championships from te beginning.

It VAG enters F1, I believe that they will supply engines and not run a whole team.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2767751)   #9
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wims View Post
Porsche as an engine supplier for RBR obviously! That would be great. I seriously doubt that they will do more than supplying engines tho
And recalling that when Porsche appeared in F1 of the 1980's, it was made to happen because a McLaren team benefactor / shareholder (TAG) would put up the development costs of the engine in exchange for naming rights, with the Porsche designed, built and run engine running as a TAG engine.....

... potentially Red Bull could do a 2010's update of that TAG deal, cough up some development money and end up with a Red Bull powered Red Bull. That would appeal to the D.M. ego. (not to mention any Porsche beancounters)

(Cue headline Mark Webber changes name to Red Bull to get contract and team driver preference, so we get the the Red Bull Red Bull..... driven by Red Bull.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 14:21 (Ref:2767767)   #10
Rgms320
Racer

United States
Seattle
Rgms320 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
...so we get the the Red Bull Red Bull..... driven by Red Bull...
I think you went to the well once too often.

(I've been hearing rumors of Porsche's return as an engine supplier for years now. I hope that it comes to fruition this time.)
Old 1 Oct 2010, 15:16 (Ref:2767793)   #11
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It does sound like good news. Would spice things up a bit. What team are they going to be supplying engines to? I hope it will be Williams as they need to get back to their winning ways.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 16:03 (Ref:2767811)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula 1 is set to introduce the GRE, a 1600cc L4T engine. The Volkswagen Group have a lot of knowledge with this configuration, so this consideration doesn't surprise me.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 18:18 (Ref:2767856)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Skoda clearly. Or Bugatti. Or Lambo. Or Bentley again? Having said that I have ignored the obvious; Scania and MAN.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 19:14 (Ref:2767887)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
It would make more sense to me at least for VAG to enter either VW, Audi or Skoda in F1 with the turbo 4 cylinders coming in soon, and enter Porsche in LMP1 as im not sure that Porsche want to run such small engines, then again, neither do Ferrari, but thats another story.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 19:17 (Ref:2767888)   #15
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
phoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridphoenix should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
It would make more sense to me at least for VAG to enter either VW, Audi or Skoda in F1 with the turbo 4 cylinders coming in soon, and enter Porsche in LMP1 as im not sure that Porsche want to run such small engines, then again, neither do Ferrari, but thats another story.
If you follow the link in post 1, and read the article, Audi aren't interested in F1 - apparently Porsche are. Not VW, not Skoda - Porsche.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 20:34 (Ref:2767934)   #16
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just as a engine supplier? Boring. As a full on team? Great.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 02:58 (Ref:2768024)   #17
Ultimo
Veteran

Ultimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridUltimo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
(Cue headline Mark Webber changes name to Red Bull to get contract and team driver preference, so we get the the Red Bull Red Bull..... driven by Red Bull.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgms320 View Post
I think you went to the well once too often.

(I've been hearing rumors of Porsche's return as an engine supplier for years now. I hope that it comes to fruition this time.)
I think E.B went to the well just enough - that was comical.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 07:19 (Ref:2768050)   #18
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Re the name of a driver being of interest to a team owner such as Mateschitz, I recall DM confirming that the main reason RB Junior picked up and ran with Scott Speed initially was because of his name being so appropriate and promotable, in relation to being like a fictional Skid Solo type of kids comic hero in motor racing. From my pov it possibly extended his career more than his abilities did.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 09:26 (Ref:2768069)   #19
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
But Porsche via TAG were the pre-eminent engine builder the last time we had small capacity turbocharge engines in F1. Maybe something appeals to their engineers about such engine packaging?
Old 2 Oct 2010, 11:17 (Ref:2768100)   #20
phoenix
Veteran

European Union
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Just as a engine supplier? Boring. As a full on team? Great.
In the history of the Constructors Championship, there have only been two car manufacturers who have one it - Ferrari and Renault - yet there have been many failures. The failures have in some cases been able to produce good engines but have been unable to produce a winning chassis - among them are Honda, Ford/Jaguar and BMW. Other failures include Alfa Romeo and more recently Toyota, who didn't produce championship winning engines either.

However there have been 10 engine manufacturers that have won - the Porsche Tag being one of them. Four of these championship-winning engine manufacturers no longer exist and four of them - Ferrari, Mercedes, Ford/Cosworth and Renault - are still involved in F1. That only leaves Honda and Porsche who have previously won (in other people's chassis) but are not racing in F1 today.

All things considered, I think Porsche would be wise to become an F1 engine supplier first if they want to be winners. If they built their own car too they may find it takes a long, long time to win, if at all, the constructors championship, which would not be good for their PR.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 12:01 (Ref:2768112)   #21
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ferrari were against the introduction of the GRE and proposed a 1800cc V6 normally-aspirated engine. However, it seems a compromise was found within the Engine Working Group: a 1600cc four-cylinder turbo-engine, with both straight and V-configurations allowed.

With the Volkswagen Group in both Endurance Racing and Formula 1, its very likely that the ACO will adopt the GRE as well. In fact, it was Audi's Ulrich Baretzky to be the first to propose it.
Old 2 Oct 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2768116)   #22
manthey
Racer

manthey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you have also to consider the importance-influence of Toto Wolff
it's very likely the merger porsche engine with williamsf1..
he is also a driver manager with mika hakkinen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toto_Wolff
Old 2 Oct 2010, 18:31 (Ref:2768307)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manthey View Post
you have also to consider the importance-influence of Toto Wolff
it's very likely the merger porsche engine with williamsf1..
he is also a driver manager with mika hakkinen

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toto_Wolff
Crikey, Hakkinen to return as part of the package too?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 00:48 (Ref:2768870)   #24
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fielden View Post
Audi F1, With Porsche support, (similar to Fiats support of ferrari), black livery with Lynx as the principle sponsor.

Thats my guess
Lynx, as in the BOderant? Apart from the UK and Ireland it's known as AXE everywhere else. Or do you mean Lynx couriers?
Old 4 Oct 2010, 01:53 (Ref:2768880)   #25
J.C.
Racer

United States
Sleepy Hollow, New York
J.C. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 2 cents...

If Porsche does come into F1, it wont be till after 2013. Because if the new F1 engine rules. I see them coming in as ONLY a engine supplier.

What team? I think either Williams, Toro Rosso. MAYBE Red Bull Racing, and McLaren. The reason why I said McLaren, because McLaren sign with Mercedes till 2015 (i think). But It could be cut short. We all know how it is in F1, contracts could be terminated early.

Besides McLaren and Porsche does have history together.