Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 16 Mar 2014, 16:02 (Ref:3380603)   #126
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
The most serious problem with France is there complete in ability to understand bacon, we will take a fair amount but without a freezer we usually run out by friday
Ultimately all we're aiming to do with the bacon here is to introduce a bit of smokey porkiness, so while I went overspecced with some Ginger Pig old spot, we can probably improvise around this, especially if we pack a smoker, or alternatively bring something like a smoked pancetta, which should survive into the week out of the fridge pretty well.
Old 16 Mar 2014, 16:25 (Ref:3380624)   #127
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
We will get by probably best to prepare early wednesday evening then leave to cook during first session and then consumme before night practice
Old 16 Mar 2014, 16:26 (Ref:3380627)   #128
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are you having the consomme before or after the tartiflette........?
Old 16 Mar 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3380629)   #129
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Well if you bring some we can have it before we EAT the tartiflette
Old 16 Mar 2014, 17:44 (Ref:3380671)   #130
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're gonna EAT it????

I thought you were going to repair any holes in your tent with it!
Old 16 Mar 2014, 19:36 (Ref:3380722)   #131
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
well just for that we will let you watch us eat it, on a cold and wet Wednesday evening you will regret not being allow to sit under a gazebo with warm food and a roaring BBQ
Old 16 Mar 2014, 20:06 (Ref:3380735)   #132
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What you do next Wednesday is up to you Simon.......
Old 17 Mar 2014, 22:33 (Ref:3381284)   #133
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i can't do tartiflette, but it takes a very serious sandwich to beat my bacon and roquefort le mans special breakfast butty.

le mans tenths masterchef?
That's sounds great I will have to try it. We always have plenty of bacon as one of our crew is a UK butcher, so I will have to add some Roquefort. I have added camembert before .. but never Roquefort
Old 18 Mar 2014, 07:45 (Ref:3381365)   #134
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
roquefort is a serious cheese probably the best sheep's cheese and just behind stilton on my list of favourite blue cheese
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:36 (Ref:3381433)   #135
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
That's sounds great I will have to try it. We always have plenty of bacon as one of our crew is a UK butcher, so I will have to add some Roquefort. I have added camembert before .. but never Roquefort
definitely give it a go - my personal favourites are the fancy societe caves baragn-something and one called papillon (probably spelt that wrong). both are really salty and it compliments the bacon in a very wrong but totally right way!

also, for the lazy camper, get a baguette, slice it either lengthways or in little girly slices for the appetiser, slap on some roquefort and perhaps a little ham or spicy sausage, put it on the bbq and voila. cheese on toast junk food a la france goats cheese also works, but it has to be the right one.

all of the above are best enjoyed with a glass of cafe de paris/equivalent cheap and cheerful bubbly
Old 18 Mar 2014, 11:54 (Ref:3381435)   #136
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
Yes they call it crispy bacon, i call it ruined
When cooked correctly bacon does not bend. There's nothing worse than limp bacon - it's the disappointment more than anything, the promise of food utopia ruined, dreams broken, hopes dashed. All for a few minutes more cooking - oh the inhumanity of it all. Why? Why? The food of gods destroyed. It's heartbreaking.

Possibly over dramatic?
Old 18 Mar 2014, 12:56 (Ref:3381454)   #137
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Beg to differ, prefer bacon to be cooked not incinerated
Old 18 Mar 2014, 18:43 (Ref:3381572)   #138
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I like it well cooked, but not to a crisp. I can buy a bag of Frazzles for that........
Old 19 Mar 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3382016)   #139
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Cooked, still like meat, crispy is just wrong. (My recent trip to the states was like torture whenever Bacon was offered)
Old 19 Mar 2014, 23:29 (Ref:3382067)   #140
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wewantourdarbyback View Post
Cooked, still like meat, crispy is just wrong. (My recent trip to the states was like torture whenever Bacon was offered)
At risk of defending the indefensible (but being British lost causes are always appealing) if you find the right American establishment, accept that what you're getting isn't British, and probably will be sweet, then bacon cooked to a crispy level, deployed with some pancakes and good maple syrup, can be very good indeed.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 00:26 (Ref:3382078)   #141
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by isynge View Post
At risk of defending the indefensible (but being British lost causes are always appealing) if you find the right American establishment, accept that what you're getting isn't British, and probably will be sweet, then bacon cooked to a crispy level, deployed with some pancakes and good maple syrup, can be very good indeed.
I have to agree. A Polish family run the Cafe Warsaw down the road, which is confusingly an American Diner, but the Bacon there is a little different to the British stuff - but nice with the pancakes.

With the danger of bringing this back on topic, how long did your Tartiflette last, Ian? I've been debating cooking it since this thread opened but with the end of term fast approaching, finances are tight. But if I can get enough meals out of it, I'd give it a go...
Old 20 Mar 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3382124)   #142
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Quote:
Sounds awful to me. what is wrong with a full monty. that is what bacon was made for
Old 20 Mar 2014, 09:49 (Ref:3382184)   #143
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I have to agree. A Polish family run the Cafe Warsaw down the road, which is confusingly an American Diner, but the Bacon there is a little different to the British stuff - but nice with the pancakes.

With the danger of bringing this back on topic, how long did your Tartiflette last, Ian? I've been debating cooking it since this thread opened but with the end of term fast approaching, finances are tight. But if I can get enough meals out of it, I'd give it a go...
The tartiflette served as four meals, this was with 1 kg of potatoes, about 6 rashers, one onion, and about 250g of cheese (essentially the Guardian recipe).

I went overspecified on it in terms of the bacon and cheese, but don't think you have to, especially with the bacon. Cheese-wise over investing rewards, but shop around and find a good soft cheese on special somewhere (which as an upside, will probably mean it's a bit more mature) and you should be fine. Obviously if you use it as a side then it'll go further.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 12:12 (Ref:3382230)   #144
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Don't u have to have roboclon cheese or something like that .

I also heard that this dish is actually no more than 20 years old . Any truth in that ?

And its still foul .........
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:00 (Ref:3382253)   #145
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Don't u have to have roboclon cheese or something like that .

I also heard that this dish is actually no more than 20 years old . Any truth in that ?

And its still foul .........
Reblochon is what it was designed for, and yes, it was initially promoted about 30 years ago as an attempt to big up Reblochon sales. That said, pela, which is pretty similar has been around for ages, and I'm struggling to see that nobody prior to coming up with "tartiflette" had thought of doing cheesy potatoes.

Is it tartiflette without Reblochon? Possibly not, although I suspect their patent has lapsed, so you can do what you like. I'd argue you do need a pretty gutsy soft cheese, and a washed rind will crisp up very nicely, but so long as it's got a bit of character you're on the right track.

And I promise not to make you eat any if you don't want to...
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:21 (Ref:3382261)   #146
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
The tartiflette served as four meals, this was with 1 kg of potatoes, about 6 rashers, one onion, and about 250g of cheese (essentially the Guardian recipe).

I went overspecified on it in terms of the bacon and cheese, but don't think you have to, especially with the bacon. Cheese-wise over investing rewards, but shop around and find a good soft cheese on special somewhere (which as an upside, will probably mean it's a bit more mature) and you should be fine. Obviously if you use it as a side then it'll go further.
Cheers Ian. Four meals sounds decent. Re-heated, it could be a decent alternative to the night-ending kebab.

The Reblochon may be difficult to source unless I can be bothered to walk to the city centre, so I'm largely at the mercy of the illogical stocking at my local Tesco Express. It's a luck dip what you get there. I'm guessing it won't quite be the same with Red Leicester...

I'll post up the results if I do cook it though.

On another LM-food-related note, how much chili powder do you have to put on a Cumberland sausage to turn it into a merquez?
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:23 (Ref:3382266)   #147
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
The Reblochon may be difficult to source unless I can be bothered to walk to the city centre, so I'm largely at the mercy of the illogical stocking at my local Tesco Express. It's a luck dip what you get there. I'm guessing it won't quite be the same with Red Leicester...

I'll post up the results if I do cook it though.

On another LM-related note, how much Chili powder do you have to put on a Cumberland sausage to turn it into a merquez?
Red Leicester would probably stop it being tartiflette...

And aren't merguez lamb based, while a cumberland presumably will be pork?
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:45 (Ref:3382275)   #148
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Red Leicester would probably stop it being tartiflette...

And aren't merguez lamb based, while a cumberland presumably will be pork?
Don't worry, I wouldn't actually put Red Leicester in it. I may be a student but I do have some standards

And merguez, lamb based??? That's potentially big news for some members of our party who don't eat Pork.
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:47 (Ref:3382276)   #149
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
why ruin a perfectly good cumberland sausage
Old 20 Mar 2014, 13:57 (Ref:3382285)   #150
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Don't worry, I wouldn't actually put Red Leicester in it. I may be a student but I do have some standards

And merguez, lamb based??? That's potentially big news for some members of our party who don't eat Pork.
The great oracle of Wikipedia suggests that merguez are indeed beef or mutton related - which I guess makes sense given their North African origin - also thinking about it makes sense regarding their longevity out of the fridge come June.

I suppose bringing a sausage maker to Le Mans might constitute things getting out of hand?