Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Mar 2014, 08:57 (Ref:3374286)   #226
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Murdoch did a similar thing in the UK with F1 for 2014. Sky and BBC to share the F1 races.
But the BBC only gets 9 of the 19 races.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 09:33 (Ref:3374300)   #227
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
how can they not exist, they just signed a 6 year media contract. They are pretty much guaranteed to 2020 now
I'll put it in simple English for you Pecky, going on the number of negative comments on here and other places with the fan base decreasing rapidly there might not be a V8 series going around in 2018 let alone 2020.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 09:48 (Ref:3374306)   #228
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
I'll put it in simple English for you Pecky, going on the number of negative comments on here and other places with the fan base decreasing rapidly there might not be a V8 series going around in 2018 let alone 2020.
i dont think you should judge anything by what you read in here, its not a representative source

Is the fan base decreasing rapidly? your making alot of assumptions that fail to account for the increased media package that starts next year which is a 6 year contract
Old 3 Mar 2014, 15:30 (Ref:3374417)   #229
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Quote:
i dont think you should judge anything by what you read in here, its not a representative source

Is the fan base decreasing rapidly? your making alot of assumptions that fail to account for the increased media package that starts next year which is a 6 year contract
AND you seem too be relying on an media package to increase the fan base.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3374515)   #230
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
AND you seem too be relying on an media package to increase the fan base.
Not at all. I'm saying the media package means the series will be around to 2020. The money the package brings in will allow the series to continue to then. After that.we dont know. Will be 8 years of COTF by then, will be time for a frehen up
Old 3 Mar 2014, 21:25 (Ref:3374552)   #231
thetormentor
Racer

Australia
Central Coast NSW
thetormentor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not sure where this information about V8s on PPV Foxtel is coming from. I didnt see that mentioned in the relase at all. It will be on one of the Fox Sports channels (Fox 1, 2 or 3, Speed) at no extra cost to sports subscribers.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 21:57 (Ref:3374578)   #232
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muznik View Post
Who do they think they are.. U.F.C ?!?

I wasn't that upset as I have pretty much a full Foxtel subscription and I wouldnt have to deal with the BS that 7 dealt up on the weekend. I recorded it Saturday only to find they switched channels or stuck the news in the middle and as such didnt get it all. Ended up watching the Speed replay at 9:30pm

I was of the initial belief it would be live on Foxsports or Speed. If they expect me to increase my already overpriced subscription they can jam it!

Finally starting to understand why so many people are so upset!
It is NOT, nor will it be, on PPV. It will be part of the existing FoxSports package.

The only changes to the existing arrangements are:
- Highlights instead of live for 8 supersprint rounds - which are the lowest rating rounds.
- The ability to watch every session live (in HD & ad free) if you want to pay for it.
- The ability to watch it live on mobile devices if you want to pay for it.

Those last two items weren't previously available.

I understand why people are annoyed, but I think peckstar has it about right. You can't watch your favourite football team live for free every week in any code. In fact if you follow some teams in the NRL you would be lucky to see them once or twice a season on FTA.

If my team is playing on Fox I just go to the pub for an afternoon (or Monday night) to watch it. You'll be able to do the same for V8s.

The teams who have to find, service and retain sponsors think this is a good deal beyond the TV income, so clearly they don't feel viewership will drop.
Old 3 Mar 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3374628)   #233
Trev Campbell
Veteran

Trev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTrev Campbell should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But its also not going to grow the supporter base. How many non die hard V8 fans are going to go 'Oh the V8's are on fox I'll go buy that' I love the V8's but there is currently to much finacial pressure to justify paying for foxtel to watch the V8's.

welcome to 1980's free to air coverage
Old 3 Mar 2014, 23:43 (Ref:3374634)   #234
Terry S
Racer

Terry S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Watching Adelaide on the weekend reminded me again how bad Crompton and Skaife really are.
Interminable prattle and old boy "jokes" just doesn't cop it.
Only less than 12 months to go for some decent commentators
Old 3 Mar 2014, 23:46 (Ref:3374635)   #235
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Watching Adelaide on the weekend reminded me again how bad Crompton and Skaife really are.
Interminable prattle and old boy "jokes" just doesn't cop it.
Only less than 12 months to go for some decent commentators
agreed -
One or the other in my opinion, prefearably Crompton, less tainted.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 00:09 (Ref:3374640)   #236
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev Campbell View Post
But its also not going to grow the supporter base. How many non die hard V8 fans are going to go 'Oh the V8's are on fox I'll go buy that' I love the V8's but there is currently to much finacial pressure to justify paying for foxtel to watch the V8's.

welcome to 1980's free to air coverage
But the only races that are not being shown live on FTA are the lowest rating ones anyway. They are keeping their marquee events on FTA, and introducing twilight races, as the strategy to grow their viewership.

They are also putting highlights in prime time to try and attract more casual viewers, although I have doubts about the likely success of that.

FoxSports are not relying on one sport to gain too many subscribers. They want the combination of all your favourite sports to justify the $900 a year.

If you're a Swans, Dragons, Sydney FC, HRT, Waratahs fan who also likes NASCAR, EPL, NFL and NBA - all of a sudden it becomes a more attractive proposition.

V8 Supercars was really the last major sport to complete the set.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 00:29 (Ref:3374653)   #237
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not at all. I'm saying the media package means the series will be around to 2020. The money the package brings in will allow the series to continue to then.
Depending on the impact of the reduced exposure on sponsorships for the teams.

Eduardo - you make a valid point compared to the football codes however you need to compare against the current expectations of V8SA fans who have been used to witnessing all the races on FTA.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 00:46 (Ref:3374659)   #238
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

Eduardo - you make a valid point compared to the football codes however you need to compare against the current expectations of V8SA fans who have been used to witnessing all the races on FTA.
in the previus AFL deal we got 5 out of 8 matches on TV. With the current one we get 4 out of 9.

Series has grown, and there is no hour long highlights package on the missing games.

A highlights package might actually be good for the series, means the casual observer only has to spend an hour watching.

And at any point even live coverage is only a highlights package, whatever the tv screens decide to show combined with 15 mins of commercials
Old 4 Mar 2014, 01:18 (Ref:3374668)   #239
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post

Sure - but expectations get adjusted with time and circumstance.

If people want to watch V8s, they will watch it when it's there. Even the people on here who are saying they'll never watch V8s again - I'm guessing they'll still watch the six FTA events.

V8s is following the global trend of being a pay TV sport with FTA elements.

Even F1 teams have said their business models now rely less on pure TV viewership as a metric for sponsorship.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 02:41 (Ref:3374687)   #240
Muznik
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast
Muznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMuznik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
It is NOT, nor will it be, on PPV. It will be part of the existing FoxSports package.

The only changes to the existing arrangements are:
- Highlights instead of live for 8 supersprint rounds - which are the lowest rating rounds.
- The ability to watch every session live (in HD & ad free) if you want to pay for it.
- The ability to watch it live on mobile devices if you want to pay for it.

Those last two items weren't previously available.

I understand why people are annoyed, but I think peckstar has it about right. You can't watch your favourite football team live for free every week in any code. In fact if you follow some teams in the NRL you would be lucky to see them once or twice a season on FTA.

If my team is playing on Fox I just go to the pub for an afternoon (or Monday night) to watch it. You'll be able to do the same for V8s.

The teams who have to find, service and retain sponsors think this is a good deal beyond the TV income, so clearly they don't feel viewership will drop.
Yeah my bad, after reading comments on here and part of the press release (where they said pricing of the Foxtel package had yet to be decided) I put 2 & 2 together and got 6.

After reading through the full release I'm back to being excited. As previously mentioned I have pretty much a full Foxtel subscription now for watching NRL, Surfing, Movies, new series TV shows, Kids channels etc.

Comments like:

- Every practice, ARMOR ALL Qualifying session, ARMOR ALL Top Ten Shootout and race live, in High Definition and ad-break free (excluding Bathurst) on FOX SPORTS.

FOX SPORTS race coverage will offer fans unprecedented access to the teams and drivers with optional camera angles, audio, and real-time statistics accessible to viewers via the red button functionality. All practice, ARMOR ALL qualifying and ARMOR ALL Top Ten Shootouts will also be LIVE and ad-break free on FOX SPORTS

Some of these things were promised back when Digital TV was first released. Hopefully this time they are delivered.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 02:54 (Ref:3374692)   #241
birtek
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
birtek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
My mate google, which is never wrong (haha) reckons you can buy an iPad to HDMI converter to play stuff off your iPad onto your teev... Here
Quote:
Yeah, I haven't really looked into it.

I do know from those that already have it that there's something in the Go app that prevents you mirroring it wirelessly from an iPad or Mac onto a TV, but not sure about HDMI cable.
Oh yes you can definitely buy the cable so google is right, however you can't airplay or use the av adapter to watch Foxtel Go unless jail broken via apple devices. Foxtel doesn't want people using it and ditching their multi-room option. I personally don't know of any other app that has the restriction but it must be built into the iOS SDK

I am not advocating jail breaking (I don't do it on iPad or iPhone), but there is much discussion about it and Foxtel Go on whirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1999561
Old 4 Mar 2014, 03:02 (Ref:3374694)   #242
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Minimum cost to get docos + sport is $100 a month. They deliberately package up all the crud so you have to pay extra for the good stuff, its clear abuse of their anti-competitive situation, and sadly this little black duck aint playing.

EDIT: If you don't NEED the IQ box and can use IPTV on something like Xbox360 then maybe this is an option:
https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxtelplay/build/package?execution=e1s1

$50 a month for sports + docos and nothing else.

You're not going to have the PVR functionality, but if it has VOD after the event maybe its OK.

Has a free 14-day trial, maybe worth testing.

EDIT2: You have to have XBox Live subscription as well, which is another additional cost. Microsoft are *******s too.

Last edited by Mixer; 4 Mar 2014 at 03:10.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 03:58 (Ref:3374714)   #243
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Sure - but expectations get adjusted with time and circumstance.
They do and not without consequence.

The consumer has had something that has now been taken away and a price tag attached. I dont think the communication strategy around this has been well planned or executed.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 06:31 (Ref:3374748)   #244
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it a smart idea to release the details of what was always going to be controversial & talked about TV deal on the morning of the first race of the year?
Old 4 Mar 2014, 07:03 (Ref:3374754)   #245
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
Was it a smart idea to release the details of what was always going to be controversial & talked about TV deal on the morning of the first race of the year?
Yes. Imagine if they announced it say.. a week before the Clipsal 500! The uproar would be ten fold. Doing it on the morning of the race means everyone is more focused on the race, and not the bad news.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 09:31 (Ref:3374802)   #246
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Yes. Imagine if they announced it say.. a week before the Clipsal 500! The uproar would be ten fold. Doing it on the morning of the race means everyone is more focused on the race, and not the bad news.
Didn't it overshadow the leadup to the first race, at least in the news circles?
Old 4 Mar 2014, 10:48 (Ref:3374827)   #247
Phalkn
Rookie

Phalkn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by birtek View Post
Oh yes you can definitely buy the cable so google is right, however you can't airplay or use the av adapter to watch Foxtel Go unless jail broken via apple devices. Foxtel doesn't want people using it and ditching their multi-room option. I personally don't know of any other app that has the restriction but it must be built into the iOS SDK

I am not advocating jail breaking (I don't do it on iPad or iPhone), but there is much discussion about it and Foxtel Go on whirlpool http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum....cfm?t=1999561
There is a Foxtel Go PC app now. Whilst not HD or have the Press Red functionality it is dam good.

I have it running on a PC in my shed and running into a 50" tv and it works good.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 11:11 (Ref:3374838)   #248
Phalkn
Rookie

Phalkn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Minimum cost to get docos + sport is $100 a month. They deliberately package up all the crud so you have to pay extra for the good stuff, its clear abuse of their anti-competitive situation, and sadly this little black duck aint playing.

EDIT: If you don't NEED the IQ box and can use IPTV on something like Xbox360 then maybe this is an option:
https://www.foxtel.com.au/foxtelplay/build/package?execution=e1s1

$50 a month for sports + docos and nothing else.

You're not going to have the PVR functionality, but if it has VOD after the event maybe its OK.

Has a free 14-day trial, maybe worth testing.

EDIT2: You have to have XBox Live subscription as well, which is another additional cost. Microsoft are *******s too.
Depending on where you are and how Foxtel is connected to your house it can be quite affordable.

If foxtel is connected via Satellite there is nothing stopping you (though they would probably tell you otherwise) from taking a Foxtel receiver and moving it to another location and connecting it to a dish pointed at correct satellite.

So effectively you could sign up to the Sports Combo package that would normally cost you 74 bucks a month, add 3 extra Iq receivers that would then give you 4.
The 4 receivers would then cost you $149 a month, split the bill into 4, equaling 37.25 a month.

On top of that you get Go as part of your subscription, you can have 2 devices running on Go at any 1 time (Ipad, Galaxy, Xbox, PC). Split that up as well for say 10-15 bucks a month each and it brings the bill down to 30 odd for the guys with first 4 receivers.

Just food for thought.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 22:43 (Ref:3375103)   #249
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
Why should we pay Foxtel to watch v8's for something that has been FTA for donkey's years. I know there will be some still on FTA but the crux of the matter is from 2015 if you want to watch the v8's on tv more than 6 times on FTA you will have to connect with Foxtel. This little black duck wont be getting Foxtel due to limted finance's (on pension) and on principle I refuse to pay for something that was free to air. The V8's will lose me next year.
Old 4 Mar 2014, 23:35 (Ref:3375112)   #250
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alright so the question is how do we all get together and communicate this to the people that matter? Team sponsorship people, V8SA management, Foxtel management?