Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Dec 2008, 00:32 (Ref:2363064)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Jenson Button vs ?

Bernie reckons Button should be in a top team ?

http://www.itv-f1.com/news_article.aspx?id=44852

He is clearly a decent driver,but is he good enough for the top teams.Or will [insert name of team here] be a top team ?
Old 31 Dec 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2363102)   #2
Racenut7
Veteran

Racenut7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mclaren 3rd car?
Old 31 Dec 2008, 02:12 (Ref:2363111)   #3
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Button stayed with honda a bit to long and now he might find that his f1 career is over.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 02:14 (Ref:2363112)   #4
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Bernie reckons lots of things...
Old 31 Dec 2008, 04:18 (Ref:2363156)   #5
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Facts we know. All rides except STR and Honda (if they find a buyer) are taken. Not going to happen anytime soon.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:18 (Ref:2363236)   #6
teammoda
Racer

teammoda has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The quicker we see the back of Jenson Button the better,Time after time I was fed with he's non commitment during he's time with Honda,how many crashes did we see, how many excuses did we hear it all got so tedious.Whoever takes over Honda would be a mug to employ Button with all the hungry talent out there.As for Bernie He's comments in recent years must be questioned,what he says simply doesent make sense.

Paul
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:28 (Ref:2363245)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammoda
The quicker we see the back of Jenson Button the better,Time after time I was fed with he's non commitment during he's time with Honda,how many crashes did we see, how many excuses did we hear it all got so tedious.Whoever takes over Honda would be a mug to employ Button with all the hungry talent out there.As for Bernie He's comments in recent years must be questioned,what he says simply doesent make sense.

Paul
He's outpaced all of his team mates,which hardly explains "non commitment".Even this season his race pace was better than Ruben's.

Button is quite famous for 'not crashing' and all the excuses about the car not performing were actually backed up by the car not performing.This seasons performance was hampered by lack of development at a very early stage (about January) and focusing on Ruben's 'brake problem' and the 2009 car.Lack of commitment can be explained by a lack of commitment.

Last edited by Marbot; 31 Dec 2008 at 11:34.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:31 (Ref:2363246)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Whoever takes over Honda would be a mug to employ Button with all the hungry talent out there.
I wouldn't put Jenson in the Top 5, but he's up there with the best of the rest and is more than worth his place in F1.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:37 (Ref:2363249)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I'm also not so sure that "all the hungry talent out there" is actually any good.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2363250)   #10
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot
I'm also not so sure that "all the hungry talent out there" is actually any good.
The best young drivers out there are already in F1. I'm talking about Rosberg, Kubica, Vettel, Hamilton...etc
Old 31 Dec 2008, 11:46 (Ref:2363251)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I wouldn't put Jenson in the Top 5, but he's up there with the best of the rest and is more than worth his place in F1.
He's not 'spectacular' and so doesn't give that impression of being a top driver.More of a 'Prost' than Hamilton/Alonso 'Senna-esque'.He's saying that the change to slicks is the best thing yet with regards to his driving style,but I guess that others will say that too.

FWIW I hope that his team mate is Barrichello,who I believe is just as worthy of his place in F1.But his age does him no favours.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2363282)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
People seem to miss that this is a business like any other and there are people capable to evaluate and weight the value of each professional that is working there. The "deserve" bit and the "should or should not" bits are just for who's outside watching things going on. If Button - like any other driver in the grid - is there and he's wanted by teams, that's because the guy is good enough to be there.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 13:47 (Ref:2363319)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I was pondering Heikki's position last night. With button around and if he is as respected as is thought................................... you never know.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 15:08 (Ref:2363342)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
No ones contract is safe with JB around...not even his.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2363353)   #15
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I was pondering Heikki's position last night. With button around and if he is as respected as is thought................................... you never know.
I will eat my proverbial hat if that happens.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 31 Dec 2008, 16:39 (Ref:2363371)   #16
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
I will eat my proverbial hat if that happens.
The only reason I mention it is that comparatively, Heikki performed pretty averagely compared to Hamilton so if (and I did write if) JB is considered as highly as is suggested, Macaroon could get a bargain.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:07 (Ref:2363392)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They would have to buy out Heikki's contract and pay Button's wages which would still be decently expensive. Plus Heikki is the perfect team mate for Hamilton. A hard trier but ultimately harmless to Hamilton.
Jenson shot himself in the foot by signing a long contract with Honda. He would surely have been on the shortlists of many teams as they looked for a good driver between 2004 and now. Instead he put his eggs in the Honda basket and failed. And now it seems his time to get into a top team and shine may have passed.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2363397)   #18
teammoda
Racer

"Race pace better than Rubens" dont know what you were watching here's the facts;Honda 2008 season
JB RB
AUS Ret DSQ
Mal 10 13
BHR Ret 11
Esp 6 Ret
Tur 11 14
Mon 11 6
Can 11 7
Fra Ret 14
GBR Ret 3
Ger 17 Ret
Hun 12 16
Eur 13 16
Bel 15 Ret
Ita 15 17
Sin 9 Ret
Jpn 14 13
Chn 16 11
Bra 13 15

The facts are there Ruebens was actually more consistant than Button and was the only driver to get a podium in 08 for Honda,You cant tell me Honda thought the "veteran" would have been better than Button,he was there in a supporting role we all know that.I dont want to see Button back in F1,let see drivers with total commitment even in tough times .Button should resume he's playboy lifestyle in DTM.Looking at those figures Honda's second half of the season was pretty desperate,makes you think weither Honda would have stuck with it if they showed the same results as the first half,or improved.Is Honda really viable to a buyer they think big but the results simply just are not there,Price has got to be right if we are to see the team for 09 they need to get real and realise that there team is not a good going concern,any prospective buyer knows they need to pick up the pieces and nobody seems to be prepared to do that.I really doubt we will see them next year.

Paul
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2363404)   #19
teammoda
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
They would have to buy out Heikki's contract and pay Button's wages which would still be decently expensive. Plus Heikki is the perfect team mate for Hamilton. A hard trier but ultimately harmless to Hamilton.
Jenson shot himself in the foot by signing a long contract with Honda. He would surely have been on the shortlists of many teams as they looked for a good driver between 2004 and now. Instead he put his eggs in the Honda basket and failed. And now it seems his time to get into a top team and shine may have passed.
And it cost him $30 million,the gamble didnt pay off, He's career suffered and he's a few quid down.Who advised Button to do this,cos this move has somewhat ruined he's career.

Paul
Old 31 Dec 2008, 17:31 (Ref:2363407)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Barrichello is the most experienced Grand Prix driver of all time, and a multiple Grand Prix winner to boot. Over their three seasons together at Honda, Jenson beat him 2-1, and scored the team's only victory.

No mean feat.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2363457)   #21
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
"Race pace better than Rubens" dont know what you were watching
Results don't necessarily reflect 'race pace'.I know what I was watching.

And then you have to ask the question: Why did Honda sign up Button in October when clearly (in your opinion) Ruben's was the..shall we say..most 'successful' driver.
Old 31 Dec 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2363475)   #22
teammoda
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
Barrichello is the most experienced Grand Prix driver of all time, and a multiple Grand Prix winner to boot. Over their three seasons together at Honda, Jenson beat him 2-1, and scored the team's only victory.

No mean feat.
Do you not think maybe Barrichello was there to give he's experiance input into the Honda team and they were relying on Button as the main man.JB was on it 06 07 but that cant be said for 08,he was beaten by a more experianced but somewhat of a "veteran" F1 driver in 08.

Paul
Old 31 Dec 2008, 23:02 (Ref:2363509)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jenson may not have been 100% committed for 2008, but Rubens had more to gain from a strong performance (or so he thought at the time). Jenson was promised a much better car for 2009, while Rubens had to fight for his career. Even then, after Silverstone Jenson has no retirements to Rubens' 3 and finished ahead of him 4-2 in the others.
Old 2 Jan 2009, 01:17 (Ref:2363872)   #24
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think if F1 turned itself into WWE, then Jenson Button would challenge for the Intercontinental Championship - but never the World Heavyweight Title.
Old 1 May 2009, 13:22 (Ref:2453605)   #25
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It never fails to amaze me just how fast things can change in Formula 1, how the improbable can become reality...