Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 22 Apr 2000, 23:24 (Ref:7249)   #1
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry Lee, i saw what you wrote and got all excited and i started my own series already

I guess you can say Cart was happy being an all American series before it expanded, but now it would be nothing without it...
Old 23 Apr 2000, 01:02 (Ref:7242)   #2
Lee
Racer

Lee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I ask a question in my initial post on this board, Joe Fan posed it as a seperate thread.
It dealt with the possibility of NASCAR racing in Europe. I noticed that there were 6 replys. Here is an extention of that question. What would you think of an international NASCAR racing series? It would be run on the various oval recently built, or under construction at this time. At the moment I count five. Ovals completed in Austraila, Japan, Brazil. Under construction at the present time, England, Germany, and proposed in France. My idea would be a series that runs loosly under Busch Grand National rules i.e. 105 in wheelbase, 9 1/2 to 1 compression V-8 engines, weight of 3300 lbs. NASCAR would have to figure out how to work the engine issue, fuel injection vs. carbs, pushrods (most places outside the U.S. don't make them anymore) vs. whatever. The point system would be the same as the Winston Cup, Busch Series, etc. Two races would be run at each track, maximum of 20 races per year, probally not that many the first couple of years. The U.S. would initally have more than two races, but as new tracks are opened in other countries, races would go to them until all countries had only two races per year. We in the States have the advantage of running a different track each year since we have several more tracks to chose from. The cars would be something on the order of the Ford Mondero, which is already run in the various touring series. This would be about right, size wise as most counties manfacture a car of simmilar size. This is a very rough idea of what the series would look like, of course the details would have to be decided by NASCAR. I'm intrested in your thought, opinions on this matter. Thanks, have a good week.

Lee
Old 23 Apr 2000, 01:19 (Ref:7243)   #3
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How about have a full on world series type thing, try and "Cartenize" (sorry, another new word) and start visiting other countries. What is best for the future? International money and drivers etc, or staying in the US with Dick Trickle? If you think Nascar should stay at home, that's fine, but jsut Nascar could be so much more bigger if it took on some bigger markets. look at how starting to go over seas has helped Cart. Before it left Ametrica in 1991, most of the field were made up of Americans, just like Nascar now. NOw it has many international drivers, who bring the international sponsors and money, which can only be good thing. Nascar may be fine at the moment, but you would reckon there could be room for another big time form.
Old 23 Apr 2000, 01:41 (Ref:7244)   #4
Heeltoe6
Veteran

Heeltoe6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only problem (as usual) would be cost. I don't think many current Nascar owners would be keen on the expenditures of traveling, even if transport of equipmetn was reduced/free (as with CART frnachisees). Also, you're into another sponsorhsip market. Many of the current Nascar sponsors probably don't have much of an international market, which mans attracting new int'l sponsors or trying to wrnagle some form F1 or CART. Plus, there's the issue of will it fly? The exhibition race in Japan was not a success, although maybe as an actual points race in an int'l series it would draw more. The Rio track, is another snag, with the litigation its promoters are currently in. But overall, I think you could draw a fan base, if Nascar had enough patience, which I don't think they do. For example,. look at the truck series. In only its 5th years, the brass complain of "low" attendance just cause it's not at 60K like bgn stand alones or 100K like cup races. But yet attendance is steady or growing in more places, it just isn't growing fast enough. So you'd have to hope they didn't expect this new league to be an instant success. Other than thoise points, I think it would be really neat, espeicaly using the smaller cars (Mondeo)...I'd love to see a VW Jetta/Bora compete.
Old 23 Apr 2000, 02:07 (Ref:7245)   #5
Lee
Racer

Crash Test,
I don't think you understand my idea, I am proposing an entirely new series, not a ratical change in the Winston Cup Series. I would not want the Cup Series to go "off shore", I would like to see it stay just as it is now, All-American. This has worked well enough to put Cup as the number one racing series in America. I see no need to tinker with success. If you will look, most Busch Series and Truck Series team owners do not run cars on the Cup Circut, With few exceptions, Childress, Roush, and Hendricks come to mind, most Cup owners don't compete in the other divisions. I think that most of the owners of my proposed series would limit themselves to it exclusively. You might find the occasional Cup or Busch owner, but they are usually too busy with their respective series to run much else. I would hope that owners from other countries would play a big part in it. As for sponsors, I'll agree with you, most U.S. sponsors have little intrest outside the U.S., but for those that do, it would be a good oppertinity to expand, as for international sponsors trying to get into U.S. markets, It would offer an outstanding oppertunity. NASCAR is mainstream America, far more so than cart will ever be. If a sponsor wants to expose his product to the American market, using auto racing as a promotional vehicle he'd be a fool to go to any series other than NASCAR. This is not a swipe at any other series, just the fact that in America, NASCAR is #1. Also, a stock car makes a much better "billboard" for advertisement, it is much larger, therefore, much more visible.
Old 23 Apr 2000, 02:18 (Ref:7246)   #6
Lee
Racer

Heeltoe6,
You bring up very intresting points. The issue of the track in Rio could present a problem, but I'd guess that they will sooner or later get things worked out. You are 100% correct about cost, sadly it always comes back to that. Travel would be the single largest factor, however if a number of owners were not American, but from other countries, (maybe factories such as V.W.?) that might help. As I stated in the reply to Crash Test above, I agree that most U.S. sponsers probally would not be intrested, but for the ones that would be intrested, it would provide a perfect vehicle for expantion. I chose a car the size of the Mondero, since most international manfacturers don't make cars the size of the Taraus, or Monte Carlo. I, like you, agree that the smaller car would be an exellent platform, and would put on one heck of a show. Take care.
Old 23 Apr 2000, 02:51 (Ref:7247)   #7
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lee, I think Bill France has an idea of expanding to the European market in the back of his mind if possible. The NASCAR Winston West now races in Japan which coincidently came after several years of NASCAR exhibition races there which had Winston Cup stars mixed in with drivers from lower NASCAR series plus locals.

Perhaps they could have a few exhibition races similar to what they did in Japan over in Europe then they could hold NASCAR Busch North or Busch Grand National series races there afterwards. If attendance is good enough for these races, then they could hold actual Winston Cup point races there in the future.

If this all goes well, then create a European division of NASCAR to run as a support series to American NASCAR races. There are a lot of "ifs" here but would the Europeans be open minded enough about American branded stock car racing for this to all happen? Time will tell but I think there is currently a series in the UK that is using ASA cars this year for the first time. Do a search under my name for a thread titled "ASA is on the prowl" for more info.
Old 23 Apr 2000, 09:26 (Ref:7248)   #8
markph
Rookie

markph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I would prefer a properly run and promoted international touring car championship
Old 23 Apr 2000, 17:46 (Ref:7250)   #9
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We have a fledgling series growing over here in the UK, building on the future opportunity of Rockingham (UK).

The series is called ASCAR and is loosely based on NASCAR rules.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A radical new all-American race series for Britain is being launched at the Autosport International show with the promoters promising a whole new concept in motor sport entertainment.

The ASCAR series will use imported ASA (American Speed Association) specification cars produced by top U.S. car builder Chas Howe. Powered by small block Chevrolet V8 race engines producing an estimated 500 bhp the stock cars will come in three body styles, Pontiac Grand Prix, Chevrolet Monte Carlo and Ford Taurus.

ASCAR's managing director, Mike Schmidt explains the thinking behind the choice of machinery, "The whole project was inspired by the launch of Rockingham Speedway. What we are about is simply bringing race fans top class pure bred American style race action with an emphasis on entertaining all the family"

Rockingham's Marketing Director, Christopher Tate, has welcomed the unveiling of the new series. "The ASCAR series will certainly provide
British fans with a truly American flavour of powerful racing. Together with our partners from the BARC we expect to see ASCAR running highly
competitive races on the Rockingham Oval as part of our opening season in 2001."

ASCAR has opted for a high specification on the cars but competitors will be able to buy one for the surprisingly low price of £32,500 plus VAT. Mike explains. "The reason for such great value for money is that we are a motor sport promotion company and as such we are not looking to
make money out of the sale of machinery. We are working with some of America¹s top motor sport suppliers and any deals we have negotiated
with our suppliers will be passed straight on to the drivers."

Top racer Mike Jordan says the cars have 'the right specification'. He will be employing his wide racing experience to play a key role in
developing the cars for the UK circuits. But his involvement will extend beyond that. 'We plan to be in the series and when these cars get to race on an oval I want to be behind the wheel of one.'

The keen pricing is only part of the unique package on offer to competitors with ASCAR not only promising free entries along with appearance money and prize money for every race. In addition, an exciting innovation is that anyone buying a car will also be given shares in the ASCAR company ensuring that the competitors who help build up the series will profit from its success.

As a marketing company ASCAR are also anxious to ensure that their race package has maximum appeal for sponsors and race fans alike. With two
events planned for next season before a full programme of 10 races in 2001 ASCAR has already negotiated a deal to ensure that each of those races will benefit from an impressive two hours of television coverage on Sky Sports.

But ASCAR haven¹t neglected the live show either and ASCAR are promising to introduce a total entertainment package to attract families back to
race circuits. "It is sad but true", says Mike, "that much of British motor racing today is geared exclusively towards competitors with fans
and ultimately sponsors being ignored. As you can see, we are not ignoring the competitor but we intend to place fans and sponsors firmly at the top of the list of priorities. By doing this we believe the
drivers will benefit even further."

Working together with top British motor sport club the BARC, ASCAR is mapping out a programme of racing that will take in most of the other major circuits in addition to Rockingham. BARC Chief Executive, Dennis Carter, comments "I believe this is exactly the type of series Rockingham needs. But beyond that it is the sort of exciting initiative
for British motor sport that we as a club are pleased to be involved with."

ASCAR are expected to unveil a major sponsor at the forthcoming show and their strategy is very much a long term one, as Mike Schmidt explains.
"The deal we will be unveiling will be a multi-season one and that sums up our philosophy. We are here to stay. In the short term, we intend
ASCAR to become a major feature of the British motor sport scene and a model of how motor racing should be promoted and presented."<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I realize that a UK-based, die-hard NASCAR fan will probably want to see the 'real' thing, but how real is a US series specifically catered for Europe?

Old 23 Apr 2000, 19:06 (Ref:7251)   #10
Lee
Racer

I wish Mr. Schmidt much success with his formation and running of the ASCAR Series.

Lee
Old 23 Apr 2000, 19:30 (Ref:7252)   #11
Joe Fan
Veteran

Joe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJoe Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I found a site for ASCAR. It is www.ascarracing.com. They also have a link to the Rockingham track there and I checked that out. The Rockingham track looks like it will be a great facility but there is no info on how much banking the corners will have. If it has 24 degree banking or higher, that would be an awesome track. I hate flat 1.5 mile oval tracks personally for stock cars but the new track that is being built in my area will be one so I am not complaining. At least I will get to see the Winston Cup series there.
Old 24 Apr 2000, 21:37 (Ref:7253)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One problem that has occured in the past may find itself cropping up again under this proposal. Who will broadcast and provide the TV coverage. From past experience, say every network wants to (exclusive??) cover it. If they don't get, they may refuse to carry it on their respective country's television. If no significant coverage is provided, no sponsor would be willing to step up?
Old 25 Apr 2000, 02:21 (Ref:7254)   #13
indyracefan
Rookie

indyracefan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ASCAR thing sounds good but here's what I wonder......will it become or be like the NFL Europe?? I mean how well do the European's like 'Americanized' football? Would they like the NFLE better if the US NFL teams played there? The same concept with NASCAR & ASCAR.

BTW- this is not a slam, I'm just thinking that European's aren't going to settle for 'watered-down' version, they want the real thing.

[This message has been edited by indyracefan (edited 25 April 2000).]
Old 25 Apr 2000, 04:45 (Ref:7255)   #14
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Well the arse has fallen out of Nascar in Australia. Here they are basically Busch cars, but their championship only lasted a couple of rounds due to lack of numbers, due to lack of sponsorship, due to lack of tv. A few of our boys took their cars of to Japan and did very well there.

The problem down here wasn't so much that the people didnt like them, its just that they were never properly recognised. They got on a few big programs like the Cart and F1, but usually turned into a demolition derby. There is only one superspeedway which not enough people attended for various reasons. Although it has been given a chance, if it were flogged off to the public better it would be a shot at succeeding.
Old 25 Apr 2000, 23:58 (Ref:7256)   #15
Total Racing
Rookie

Total Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR has already formed a racing series in South Africa. I believe that starting this year they will have 12-15 races during the summer months on a few different tracks. I believe it is a mixture of oval and road courses. I read about the series on motorsport.com I believe.