Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:40 (Ref:3592665)   #1
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Porsche Confirms New 911 RSR GTE Car for 2017

It looks like Porsche are going down the BMW route. Not good.
http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/p...-car-for-2017/
Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:44 (Ref:3592667)   #2
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Lot's of ifs, buts and maybes in there!

How do you move a flat six forward a bit? Sounds like an odd solution.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 12:56 (Ref:3592672)   #3
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Spyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpyderman should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They have done it before (GT1)
Old 23 Nov 2015, 13:25 (Ref:3592678)   #4
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The GT1 was a mid-engined Frankenstein's monster made from bits of old Porsches that were lying around. I'm not sure this is really the same situation.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 13:28 (Ref:3592680)   #5
wdave0
Veteran

United States
NY
wdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwdave0 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They could just build off the Cayman platform and avoid the waivers but that would booger the hierarchy of 911 at the top.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 13:53 (Ref:3592691)   #6
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The GT1 was a mid-engined Frankenstein's monster made from bits of old Porsches that were lying around. I'm not sure this is really the same situation.
No , not the same, but I'm sure that some of the lessons learnt will be applied. This assuming that it will in fact be mid-engine.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 13:56 (Ref:3592693)   #7
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
They could just build off the Cayman platform and avoid the waivers but that would booger the hierarchy of 911 at the top.
The "untouchable" status of the 911 also apparently killed off the bespoke mid-engine car, which I'm sure , would have been a far better option (for racing) as it could have had a platform designed specifically for it's engine placement, rather than a modified MMB platform.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 14:10 (Ref:3592698)   #8
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Porsche are the Kings of the Kansas City Shuffle... until the car is actually on the ground, I would wait to come to any conclusions... it isn't as if Porsche hasn't completely tried to mislead everyone before.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 16:50 (Ref:3592721)   #9
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderman View Post
The "untouchable" status of the 911 also apparently killed off the bespoke mid-engine car, which I'm sure , would have been a far better option (for racing) as it could have had a platform designed specifically for it's engine placement, rather than a modified MMB platform.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdave0 View Post
That is somewhat my reading on this as well. I LOVE Porsche and am a HUGE fan, but they have to move beyond the insecurity of racing something other than the 911 in top level GT. Are you listening Porsche! Have some self confidence!? You just won the WEC for heaven's sake!

It sounds like an attempt at GT1 style mid-engine "911". I assume this is 100% a marketing driven decision. They are fooling nobody. Or at least anyone who would buy a 911 because it races in top level GTE... they would understand what is going on.

Frankly I hope the other manufactures make a stink.

Richard
Old 23 Nov 2015, 16:58 (Ref:3592725)   #10
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is what should be the basis for the next Porsche GTE car...

http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-po...-track-weapon/

That Cayman GT4 Clubsport... I would sell my soul to have that car

Or... if they don't want to push the Cayman to the top level, then bring out a direct competitor to the Ferrari 488 as has been rumoured for so long. I have to wonder if the entire VW diesel emission debacle (which Porsche has been pulled into a bit) is part of the reason Porsche is not taking on the Ferrari 488 directly. Effectively maybe a money thing?

Richard
Old 23 Nov 2015, 21:51 (Ref:3592786)   #11
Pole2Win
Rookie

Brazil
Pole2Win should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like they'll remain with inferior car and will take the route of crying BOP instead. Pretty disappointed with Porsche.

The 911 is currently the car with the least potential in GTE, because of the engine. Not only it's theoretically the weakest (lowest displacement, for starters), but it also still has a poor placement despite Porsche having moved the engine a bit forward in the 991 road car to improve handling and stability.

If they use the Carrera engine they'll still be handicapped by the engine because it's only 3.0L turbo while the next competitor is the Ford GT with a 3.5L but the GT is a far more advanced car than the 991.

If I were Porsche my first choice would be the mid-engine flat-8 car, but if I had to use a 911, I'd make a road 991 GT2 with a 3.8L flat-6 engine and base the GTE car around that. It would be a lot better alternative than homologating the Carrera.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 22:24 (Ref:3592802)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
No need to cry BOP surely? Wouldn't it just happen automatically? I'd keep it as it is, BOP makes it competitive in the dry and trounce everyone when it rains

This is why I don't 'get' the Ford GT. All that effort will just be removed by BOP. Am I missing something about GTE? (Genuine question)
Old 23 Nov 2015, 22:29 (Ref:3592804)   #13
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
We have yet to see how the 'new' bop works, but maybe it doesnt change. I was hoping for a 'baby 918'
Old 23 Nov 2015, 22:32 (Ref:3592806)   #14
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is pointless essentially.

And the last time Porsche had 911 that didn't rely mostly on BoP was probably circa 2011 with the cranky 997s getting beaten up. 2010 was already semi questionable pace wise despite the LM and Spa 24 wins
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:00 (Ref:3592814)   #15
Richard C
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
No need to cry BOP surely? Wouldn't it just happen automatically? I'd keep it as it is, BOP makes it competitive in the dry and trounce everyone when it rains

This is why I don't 'get' the Ford GT. All that effort will just be removed by BOP. Am I missing something about GTE? (Genuine question)
In one way you are right. BOP is just a fact of life within GTE. So you don't have to have a 100% optimal solution. Bring a car and BOP it in the direction it needs (up or down). You could in fact even do as you suggest which is have an advantage in one area (better rear traction) and then BOP takes care of the rest.

What i think is right about something such as the Ford GT or the Ferrari 488, is that you start from a more ideal solution and then BOP balances overall performance, but hopefully part of that allows you to make the rest of the car overall easier to manage (be it easier to drive, easier to setup, less stress on the hardware, or whatever). In effect, it's maybe easier to slow a car down than to speed it up.

If we have to live with BOP (and we seems like we do), I would rather manufactures start with the best they can deliver (within reason and cost) and then BOP ensures (sadly) that it is a "good show".

Richard
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:12 (Ref:3592817)   #16
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
I'm not sure how this is a surprise worthy of particular disappointment when Porsche has been laughably outside the rule book for a long time. Petit Le Mans made a special point of the IMSA version especially being a practically entirely different class of car that happens to do similar lap times in the dry.
Old 23 Nov 2015, 23:26 (Ref:3592823)   #17
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only ones not running somehow faked specs car with secret exceptions and other nonsense breaks, ie the Ferrari (and possibly Ford now) do have my respect. However as much as I ridicule Aston Martin for their old, underpowered, crappy vehicles and constant cries for moar, they might be the wisest of the bunch. Do not bother at all, just do the mere minimum to show up. And everything will be served to you even to the state of being the most succesful GT in statics. Porsche is not quite to that level, but has edged much closer to that in time. So maybe they are getting wiser too. Rulemakers certainly aren't!

Oh well. We can always remember the good days of 997 vs 430 and earlier.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 05:47 (Ref:3592908)   #18
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
I'm not sure how this is a surprise worthy of particular disappointment when Porsche has been laughably outside the rule book for a long time. Petit Le Mans made a special point of the IMSA version especially being a practically entirely different class of car that happens to do similar lap times in the dry.
Can you be more specific please: In what way is the current 911 "outside" the rule book?
Old 24 Nov 2015, 05:49 (Ref:3592909)   #19
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
The only ones not running somehow faked specs car with secret exceptions and other nonsense breaks, ie the Ferrari (and possibly Ford now) do have my respect. However as much as I ridicule Aston Martin for their old, underpowered, crappy vehicles and constant cries for moar, they might be the wisest of the bunch. Do not bother at all, just do the mere minimum to show up. And everything will be served to you even to the state of being the most succesful GT in statics. Porsche is not quite to that level, but has edged much closer to that in time. So maybe they are getting wiser too. Rulemakers certainly aren't!

Oh well. We can always remember the good days of 997 vs 430 and earlier.
From what I hear, the Ford GT got some serious waivers.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 06:40 (Ref:3592913)   #20
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Some news on the 2016 cars: I have it from a good source that the 488 will be about 2.5 seconds quicker than the current 458. There is however quite a bit of turbo lag, but that just means the drivers will adapt their driving styles.
The rumor is that the new Ford GT is a monster (barring BOP).
(Both news items are from the same source)

It seems Porsche has their work cutout for them.
Old 24 Nov 2015, 10:09 (Ref:3592958)   #21
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Superb...
Old 24 Nov 2015, 10:10 (Ref:3592959)   #22
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any idea about the power output of the new cars?
Old 24 Nov 2015, 12:51 (Ref:3592986)   #23
Brake dust
Racer

United States
Brake dust should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Believe you are right Spyderman. What a huge disappointment - and I'm a big Porsche fan! Should race the 911 platform in Cup Series. Looks like we won't be seeing the 960.

Ferrari is head and shoulders above the rest. The 458 is the best car currently and they are leaving it behind for something even better!!
Old 24 Nov 2015, 16:28 (Ref:3593025)   #24
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
More specific please?
Old 24 Nov 2015, 17:06 (Ref:3593030)   #25
Spyderman
Veteran

Mozambique
Mozambique
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
More specific please?
No specifics but this: Nov 23
Nick Holland Retweeted Sportscar365
Given what Ford have got away with, I'm looking for a re-imagined 935 turbo with testing of Mission E tec