Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2002, 00:53 (Ref:391641)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tires, tires, tires...

Comments after the race from the Honda drivers...

Jacques Villeneuve Position: 6th
"The team did a great job today, as they have all weekend. We picked up a very important point and really made the best of things in the race. I had been quite worried about grip so the tyres really dictated a two- stop strategy today. We made a few changes after warm-up this morning to try to counter any problems and the car actually worked well in the race. The track picked up grip but it was tough going for the first 6- 10 laps after the pitstops. Once the fuel went down the tyres actually got better so it was easy to do some quick laps. We've been quite competitive here this weekend; I could drive the car aggressively and overtake. A good showing here means we should be better off in Suzuka so I'm optimistic about a good finish to the season."

Giancarlo Fisichella Position: 7th
"Finishing 7th is not very good. There was reasonable pace and I was having a good race except that the behaviour of the tyres was very inconsistent. Both sets of tyres were okay for the first few laps but then there was huge oversteer everywhere and after 15 to 20 laps the rear end came back and I was quick again. I'm very disappointed."

Takuma Sato Position: 11th
"The start was exciting and our launch control has improved since the last race which is good. I already improved on my position going into Turn 1 by overtaking Olivier and Eddie Irvine. After the start I got stuck in traffic, which cost us time and the two stop strategy meant we should have been pushing ahead. Towards the finish I had blistering on the tyres or something and found the oversteer quite difficult. In the end it was just about bringing the car home. It was a tough race."

I hate to bring it up again but how much worse does it have to get before someone does something about the Bridgestone-Ferrari deal? What the teams need to do is hire spies so they can steal design plans from Ferrari. This way Bridgestone runners will have some sort of a fighting chance.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 01:29 (Ref:391679)   #2
rpolinski
Racer

Australia
rpolinski should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for Sato's comments on blistering of the tyres causing oversteer, maybe he should of done what it was commented that Ferrari did and dial in a bit of understeer at the start to compensate for the oversteer at the end.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 01:48 (Ref:391697)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The point is? I'm sure you'd find similar comments from Michelin tyre-runners, even those in the low running order. Does that say anything about Mclaren-Michelin?

Watch the end of the race...look at the Ferrari's tyres. They were well worn too, and had some blisters... point?
The only reason why they could work the tires better is because they have the huge infrastructure to test, and feedback, more to Bridgestone than other runners. With more reliable feedback can Bridgestone improve like they have done.

And while we are at that, Michelin have vastly upped their game. Their tyres are actually pretty good now, almost matching in terms of handling, grip and wear....hence i don't see much worry about the "Bridgestone advantage
Old 30 Sep 2002, 03:59 (Ref:391748)   #4
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridge-Ferrari deal is totally unfair. if it's not illegal, all bridge users except ferrari should switch to michelin to
make bridge looke bad.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 04:06 (Ref:391749)   #5
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
The only reason why they could work the tires better is because they have the huge infrastructure to test, and feedback, more to Bridgestone than other runners. With more reliable feedback can Bridgestone improve like they have done.

It's a deal. Bridge has 10 engineers working ONLY for Ferarri in Japan. ferrari is getting extra special treatment from them. that's the main reason.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 04:41 (Ref:391759)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Watch the end of the race...look at the Ferrari's tyres. They were well worn too, and had some blisters... point?
What all that means is that Ferrari is paying Bridgestone to build tires specifically for them. Simple, political lingo needed.

I suppose this is something like the Ronald Reagan trickle down theory.

Last edited by neilap; 30 Sep 2002 at 04:43.