Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Feb 2004, 22:03 (Ref:863233)   #51
OverRun
Rookie

OverRun should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any team that is preparing properly for the new season will be do one low fuel qualifying run after a couple of hours of testing a new engine. It is part of a standard race weekend (Qualifying one), which is what all the teams will be trying to replicate to ensure reliability.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 05:00 (Ref:863618)   #52
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
initial feeling--cough, cough, Prost, cough cough
they have to come up with a balance to the "another Honda engine goes poof in a dramatic way" headline...

as always, will be interesting in the first bunch of races to see how all our couch opinions stand up.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 05:21 (Ref:863629)   #53
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault was running light today to grab publicity and take their turn in the headlines. It is so pathetic that these teams have to run illegal cars just to get some air time. Last week Williams was doing it too. They knew the car was butt arse ugly so they ran illegal weight just so we would think it was fast. Also Maclaren did the same because we knew the car lacked reliability so they had to at least pretend it was fast. Yeah thats it! I have all the answers and I know everything.

Normally I laugh at some of the bashing because its all in good fun but I have never seen such "playa hatin" going on over one team thats trying to do their business. Yes, they grab headlines, yes, it makes the team more popular but guess what none of you, nor I know the truth about the cars pace.

As far as I am concerned the bandwagon is now off limits to all the nay sayers and nit pickers. It is ludicrous to compare BAR to Prost! Its insulting...

Last edited by neilap; 5 Feb 2004 at 05:21.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 06:53 (Ref:863655)   #54
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by enemy-ace
The days of the light fuel qualifying lap is gone. Why the need to do this for days on end?
What about for the first qualifying session then?
Old 5 Feb 2004, 13:43 (Ref:864044)   #55
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If memory serves, I don't recall BAR ever running multiple low fuel runs (and with both drivers involved, 2 days running) until this year. Now let me see, what makes this year so different.... Hmmmm... it'll come to me .....

Last edited by Kirk; 5 Feb 2004 at 13:45.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 13:56 (Ref:864066)   #56
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would imagine that BAR have done a few low fuel runs, although I don't have a log from every single test they have done since 1999.

However I'm not one for conspiracy theories. One thing is for sure, they won't be sacrificing any decent testing for this year for the sake of some winter headlines - they get better headlines if they do well in the race.

The simplest explanation for the odd lowish fuel run is what Wrex, OverRun and others have said.

Last edited by Adam43; 5 Feb 2004 at 13:58.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 20:21 (Ref:864500)   #57
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
. It is ludicrous to compare BAR to Prost! Its insulting... [/B]
Neil, no need (from me anyway) to get insulted. Hell, I'd like to see them do well, and am first to admit that I have no idea of how the car is really doing and stacking up against others.

we'll see, we'll see is all I can say, but my initial feeling was what I thought. May I be proved wrong.
Old 5 Feb 2004, 21:06 (Ref:864535)   #58
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I meant it was insulting to the team. Prosts drivers were only racing each other, never in the mix. Knowing the way Honda does things I would feel that running light for headlines is the last thing they would do. BAR is not broke. Honda has more than enough money to carry on. Their biggest loss in F1 is to their reputation.

Before then BAR had never run quicker that 1:17 ( I think) so they wanted to test the car. Thats what they were there for. In reality they had nothing to lose. The people who like to kick them because they are down would still be kicking them and those who like them would still cheer if the never finish a race!
Old 5 Feb 2004, 21:08 (Ref:864539)   #59
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
It is ludicrous to compare BAR to Prost! Its insulting...
Is it ludicrous? Is it ludicrous to talk about Prost going into the 1998 season when discussing BAR going into the 2004 season? Trying to eliminate some hindsight here:

1995 Ligier 5th 24pts
1996 Ligier 6th 15pts
1997 Prost 6th 21pts

2001 BAR 6th 17pts
2002 BAR 8th 7pts
2003 BAR 5th 26pts (with ~17 due to new points system)

I don't think it is ludicrous! Results-wise there is not much to compare them with. Prost was moving the team into a new era and maybe BAR are too. Although of course it went pear shaped from Prosty. I think there is a comparison. Obviosuly there are a lot of differences, but they are in the same ball park at those respective moments.

That doesn't alter my opinion that BAR aren't trying to grab headlines, they are just testing things!
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:12 (Ref:864916)   #60
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
People were not comparing BAR to Prosts successes but instead to its failures...
Old 6 Feb 2004, 14:49 (Ref:865490)   #61
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big picture racing here, gentlemen.

BAR's engine deal is up for renewal. What the BAR mgmt does NOT want is for Honda to buy the whole team. Hence they test like a scalded cat in qualifying trim; and if the lump pops at full-race length, it's Honda's problem not BAR's.

BAR forces Honda to step up to the reliability issue, then they hire DC next season and go DC/JB for a full British team.

Betcha a beer.....
Old 6 Feb 2004, 14:53 (Ref:865496)   #62
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A beer it is...
Old 9 Feb 2004, 08:21 (Ref:867855)   #63
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you ask Mark Webber, he will state that he has cast doubt on BAR's stonking pace in pre-season testing.

"If we're talking about podiums, then BAR are probably more likely than Toyota. But I assure you BAR aren't where they are testing now, that's for sure."

http://www.f1central.net/news/1076311727.html
Old 9 Feb 2004, 09:07 (Ref:867900)   #64
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, at least BAR's far ahead of Jaguar at the moment.

If we are talking about podiums, then Toyota are probably more likely than Jaguar... that's for sure if you ask me

Nobody seriously thought that BAR would be the pace-setter next year. Nobody, even at BAR, thought that BAR would beat Ferraris and Williams consistently next year. I think so far BAR, i'm not a fan of them, had approached the pre-season in a rather realistic manner. Their expectations of podium finish is possible, and they readily admit their record pace is set on low fuel. Nothing really wrong...so why all the ?
Old 9 Feb 2004, 09:19 (Ref:867911)   #65
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
If we are talking about podiums, then Toyota are probably more likely than Jaguar... that's for sure if you ask me
You absolutely right.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 10:49 (Ref:871666)   #66
F1Joey
Rookie

F1Joey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's very interesting to see how BAR will maintain 1 engine on a weekend,let alone in one race with this apparently super fast car.
What I love about testing is there are NO RULES, So everyone can look invincible. If I was a BAR fan I wouldn't be betting the mortgage on their chances.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 11:10 (Ref:871685)   #67
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
... and with Honda's reliability record...
Old 12 Feb 2004, 11:16 (Ref:871688)   #68
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes a one of their best ads has the car in bits
Old 12 Feb 2004, 11:28 (Ref:871698)   #69
frostblade
Racer

frostblade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, there aren't NO RULES in testing, according to the FIA anyway...
Old 13 Feb 2004, 23:35 (Ref:873687)   #70
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redblurr
yes a one of their best ads has the car in bits
Funny 'Redblurr'...but in roadcar terms...Honda cars especially the Accord which features in that UK TV ad' is the most reliable car on the British market 'according' (no pun intended) to a recent 'Which' report of the 10 most reliable cars on the UK market...in fact the list of 10 included 3 differant Honda types (and not one German car!) 'mein gott in himmel!'

The recent F1 problem has been addressed...seems a certain component was just made a wee bit too light...that's what testing is there for!
Old 14 Feb 2004, 05:01 (Ref:873839)   #71
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Maybe its a good thing that there is so much hate going around. Even Mark Webber is getting in on "JVing" BAR. Who is he to state how fast the cars are? He has no idea what they are doing. He has had quite a bit to say lately I hope for his sake he also has pace.

These last few days are going by so slowly. Honda has a more powerful motor than they had in Suzuka while most others had to detune their motors. GW is proud of his new design and has high hopes/expectations for the new car.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 05:17 (Ref:873844)   #72
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
now neilap YOU are JVing here abit yourself to Mark wouldn't you say .

Mark has his opinon to . and as both you and I know testing is testing . lets just see what unfolds in Melbourne
Old 14 Feb 2004, 05:32 (Ref:873847)   #73
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kirk
If memory serves, I don't recall BAR ever running multiple low fuel runs (and with both drivers involved, 2 days running) until this year. Now let me see, what makes this year so different.... Hmmmm... it'll come to me .....
Maybe they've decided that it's finally time to progress
Old 14 Feb 2004, 14:53 (Ref:874156)   #74
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
MW, maybe I am. Its the wait that is the most painful part of the whole process. The media will take one interview and make 100 stories from it. I have never heard him so vocal to the point of sounding a little jealous/arrogant/angry but we know how quotes can be spun. How many days now?

Everyone admits that testing pace only means they are fast in testing. DR, GW, JB, Sato and all involved are doing their jobs and minding their own business. Everyone else are throwing stones at them suggesting they are all about deception. RS, MW and others had to go out of their way to put the teams times down . In truth no one if F1 thinks BAR Honda will be anywhere. MS was praising Toyota as though he was looking for a job in their second year. Jaguar was getting much praise for their pace last year too. Renault was the revolution of the year. BAR was again the disappointment, right? So now BAR gets tires that are not designed for someone else, and they are able to set reasonable times. Now, its them playing games with the times. Well, if they are (which I doubt) then they will face the embarrassemnt if not there will be a lot of "foot in mouth" disease going around in F1.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 15:42 (Ref:874180)   #75
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its my thought there is something behind BAR's pace. The car may well prove to be quick this cpoming year but I remain to be convinced that the can maintain the paceover an entire season. However, until practice in Melbourne, we will have no way to judge the relative merits of the BAR. All other things as as they were last season, I suspect that they could be consistent top ten qualifiers.

Given the problems alluded to at both Mclaren and Jaguar, they might break into the top six on occasion.

To put it in context, the oft cited (by me) fact that on the basis of cumulative Friday Qualifying positions in 2003, Mark Webber was third fastest behind TGF and the Rubens, suggest that actual speed is not a true measure of competitiveness. Surley Webber was the revelation of the season in 2003, and I suspect that we will be saying the same of Button, BAR and Sato, but I doubt we'll see Poles or wins. Maybe a podium or two.