Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 Apr 2010, 15:33 (Ref:2666651)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lotus not going to move to Kuala Lumpur after all

http://bbc.co.uk/i/s2vlz/?t=34m40s - comment on BBC F1 forum, geolocked to UK.

Tony Fernandes appears to have seen sense, saying that the team will stay in Hingham. This looks very promising, as it would not only cement their legitimacy as Lotus but also ensures that the team will be competitive.
Old 4 Apr 2010, 15:36 (Ref:2666653)   #2
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've seen it said that Toyota had trouble attracting staff due to their Köln location. I don't know if this is the reason why, as Sauber/BMW seem to have done okay over the years on that front.

US F1 had various problems. Who knows if their location didn't help?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 00:38 (Ref:2666873)   #3
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I've seen it said that Toyota had trouble attracting staff due to their Köln location. I don't know if this is the reason why, as Sauber/BMW seem to have done okay over the years on that front.

Actually I remember Peter Sauber saying it took a bit of extra effort and paperwork(Switzerland not in the EU) to attract good people to the team and keep them there.

US F1's problems were far bigger than their location. Charlotte, NC is a major hub for motorsports and the technology and expertise in that area is getting to the point it can match anything in the UK.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2667017)   #4
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker
Malaysia is not ready for F1 high-tech yet. Give time to time. Lotus needs to perform in F1 before any crazy move to motherland. Lotus defeat now is the victory of their future.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 12:05 (Ref:2667059)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
Actually I remember Peter Sauber saying it took a bit of extra effort and paperwork(Switzerland not in the EU) to attract good people to the team and keep them there.

US F1's problems were far bigger than their location. Charlotte, NC is a major hub for motorsports and the technology and expertise in that area is getting to the point it can match anything in the UK.
Switzerland is non-EU, and not in the EEA (Norway and Iceland are, but Iceland are in the process of joining the EU, expect that in 2012), but there are some agreements about some things. I don't know about work permits though.

NC does have plenty of motorsport talent, an F1 grade wind tunnel (I don't know how good the wind tunnel at Hingham is) and things, but the question is about people with F1 experience. I do agree that a reasonable team could be run from there, but it would be more of a challenge than running it in the UK. One point is that both Virgin and Lotus are out of the traditional cluster around Oxford and Silverstone, RTN in Hingham being out in Norfolk and Virgin further away near Sheffield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Malaysia is not ready for F1 high-tech yet. Give time to time. Lotus needs to perform in F1 before any crazy move to motherland. Lotus defeat now is the victory of their future.
Whilst the money is coming from Malaysia (although it appears Tony Fernandes may well move to Norfolk to be with the team, so some of the cheques may well be coming from within the county in future), I would still say that Lotus's motherland is the UK. Indeed, IMO Lotus is one of the UK's greatest sports teams ever, bearing in mind in the stakes of winning the most European or World championships, they come ahead of Liverpool FC ...
Old 5 Apr 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2667060)   #6
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Lotus would move to Malaysia, it would become evident that the current team shares nothing but its name with Colin Chapman's legacy, wouldn't it?
Old 5 Apr 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2667061)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Multipost bug removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
If Lotus would move to Malaysia, it would become evident that the current team shares nothing but its name with Colin Chapman's legacy, wouldn't it?
They do have some of the Colin Chapman legacy now, but it would certainly be eroded by moving the team to Malaysia - which appears to be removed from the table. It was originally part of the plan, but it appears the team will be staying in Norfolk after all.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 12:31 (Ref:2667067)   #8
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
They do have some of the Colin Chapman legacy now [...]
This makes me wonder what exactly the current Team Lotus shares with Colin Chapman's legacy, apart from its name.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 12:44 (Ref:2667074)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
The approval of the Chapman family and support from Lotus Cars for a start ...
Old 5 Apr 2010, 17:55 (Ref:2667214)   #10
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
This makes me wonder what exactly the current Team Lotus shares with Colin Chapman's legacy, apart from its name.
Not the name,Lotus Racing is the current entry.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 18:27 (Ref:2667229)   #11
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I think it's a good idea if they do stay put because it keeps the link with Lotus strong and there are plenty of good people available in that area.

As far as I know the Team Lotus name still belongs to David Hunt, although it can't be worth so much now that the new Lotus team is establishing itself. If anything, I think it's better it should have a new name, but with the blessing of the Chapman family.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 18:32 (Ref:2667233)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
It has a new name (Lotus Racing) and the blessing of the Chapman family. Ideally, it would have closer links with Lotus Cars, but that may well come later. I know the thread title says Team Lotus, but that's because I used the team tag, and just called the outfit Lotus.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 18:51 (Ref:2667237)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Poultry A post that has nothing to do with Lotus being Lotus.

Quote:

A friend of mine worked (still does) for Toyota F1 in Koln. It is a nice place.

It must make a difference to people though. I don't think I'd have seen myself staying there for a long time.
Old 5 Apr 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2667306)   #14
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
There's a bit of a difference between a team being based in Germany/Switzerland and being based in Malaysia - not just in terms of attracting the right people, but it didn't seem feasible for a team competing in what is still a predominantly European championship to be based so far away. There would (I assume, having never run a Formula One team) be logistical issues with transporting the cars, spare parts, updates etc, and their drivers might not fancy relocating to Malaysia so that they can get to the factory in between races.

I would like to see them stay in the UK, partly because it's where Lotus "should" be, but also because it's the common sense decision from the point of view of developing the team and making it competitive.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 7 Apr 2010, 17:30 (Ref:2668357)   #15
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moving to Malaysia (and thus away from Britain and one of the big centres of motorsport engineering) would kill nay progress that team would have made.

Tony Fernandes can see this thankfully.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna