Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 2 Feb 2018, 02:12 (Ref:3797631)   #1
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercars Always Reviewing Grid Girl Policy

Speedcafe are reporting that Supercars are always reviewing their grid girl policy.

Looks like no grid girls for Supercars at the Australian Grand Prix.

Perhaps they will ban alcohol and betting at the events as well?
Old 2 Feb 2018, 03:03 (Ref:3797638)   #2
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still don't quite understand what the big deal is.

They want women to be involved in the sport, yet for many to be involved, that's what they want to do.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 07:33 (Ref:3797667)   #3
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umai Naa View Post
I still don't quite understand what the big deal is.

They want women to be involved in the sport, yet for many to be involved, that's what they want to do.
Exactly, no one is forcing them to be there, they choose to do it for whatever reason. Some to enhance their modelling career, some for the $$ to go to University or whatever, and no doubt hundreds of other reasons.

Decisions like this are made by a weak management team, "someone else has done it so we should too". Stand up and make your own decisions. Supercars weak as ****, and getting weaker.
Old 2 Feb 2018, 18:24 (Ref:3797811)   #4
FAS33
Veteran

Australia
1st - 6th gear
FAS33 User had had their licence endorsedFAS33 User had had their licence endorsed
A sandwich isn’t going to make itself.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 01:32 (Ref:3797900)   #5
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not academic here ...

One of my daughters spent a couple of years doing it, loved it, not academic & it was a positive experience that makes her one she is today.
Another daughter was with V8 Medical team, also positive.

People wanting to force their views on others, shame few know what they are talking about.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 03:46 (Ref:3797915)   #6
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bit torn here. I can understand some peoples feelings (I like to think of myself as a feminist and supporter of equal rights, even more so since some of my best friends are women) about how they seem to exploit attractiveness and somewhat sexism for profit. But on the other hand as someone who has done photography and known models who have done gird girl and promo girl stuff, the women have enjoyed it, brought positive exposure to themselves (ie: got work out of it in an industry that can be very hard to find work) and on a personal level developed friendships with some women. (and even dated one for a short period) I never really heard much negative comments and feelings. (most is the odd drunkard yelling "Show us your......" but were dealt with by security and police straight away)
Old 3 Feb 2018, 04:50 (Ref:3797920)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Bit torn here. I can understand some peoples feelings (I like to think of myself as a feminist and supporter of equal rights, even more so since some of my best friends are women) about how they seem to exploit attractiveness and somewhat sexism for profit. But on the other hand as someone who has done photography and known models who have done gird girl and promo girl stuff, the women have enjoyed it, brought positive exposure to themselves (ie: got work out of it in an industry that can be very hard to find work) and on a personal level developed friendships with some women. (and even dated one for a short period) I never really heard much negative comments and feelings. (most is the odd drunkard yelling "Show us your......" but were dealt with by security and police straight away)
With respect, you seem torn based on a stereotype pushed by certain sections of the community/media, when your own experience tells you differently.

Digressing but, I remember watching an infamous TV interview with Chris Gayle with the BBL journo (a professional), with one of my girls - come on girl, close him down was the comment in my lounge room, it was the inability of the journo that drew criticism at my place.
Old 3 Feb 2018, 05:39 (Ref:3797926)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From a commercial perspective, the purpose of ‘grid girls’ is to perform the role of promotional representative of a sponsor brand.

It may involve them handing out marketing material, often taking photos with the at-track fans, to use proximity to potential consumers to make a statement about the brand they showcase, to give the potential customers of their product or service to create a positive experience of the promotional models, and therefore the brand to invite purchase.

They also regularly serve as ’brolly dollies’ (less useful in a sedan car formula) or holding sponsor banners on the grid to invite non-team grid invitees to flock to the cars with the branded promotional staff and get a picture. And of course the television group will showcase whatever car seems to have activity around it from the grid.

And sponsors would not fund these things if they did not produce tangibe marketing impact!

In Supercar, there is great execution, and there is poor execution.

In choice of uniform design, in choice of promotional material, and sometimes in the choice of the person who manages the promoting staff.

Most promotional staff are wonderful with the general public, mums, dads, kids, whoever rocks up for a pic or bag or sticker or whatever.

If people are choosing to think illicit thoughts, and communicating those thoughts about promotional staff just doing a job, does it say more about the worker or the thought-haver?

If the ‘grid girls’ were not in place, would the target of the thoughts and feelings then fall to the female members of the crowd, perhaps more focusedly due to lack of other objects for their attitudes....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 3 Feb 2018, 07:50 (Ref:3797955)   #9
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm wondering if the QANTAS hosties at the GP or the Virgin hosties at the 1000 will also be culled? They are in effect performing the same role as a "grid girl" just with less revealing outfits
Old 3 Feb 2018, 07:57 (Ref:3797956)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now that the AGP even counts for points, perhaps a catfight will break out between them?
Old 3 Feb 2018, 18:22 (Ref:3798083)   #11
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best thing anyone can do for grid girls is to treat them like the adults they are and let them seek employment wherever they see fit.

It's funny, Liberty almost sees these girls as damsels that need rescuing - couldn't possibly decide whether a job is exploitative or not on their own, they need a group of old men to decide for them. Now that's sexism!
Old 3 Feb 2018, 19:28 (Ref:3798126)   #12
Umai Naa
Veteran

It's almost as if Liberty assumes they're forced into doing it.
Old 5 Feb 2018, 01:17 (Ref:3798525)   #13
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A perfect example of PC excreta...so tired of minority, squeaky wheel lobby groups being pandered to...