Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 May 2003, 10:05 (Ref:609301)   #1
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
How much do you like Malaysian GP? If it were to be replaced with Singapore??

Just a curious question.

"The New Paper", a local handy newspaper, recently did a telephone interview with Bernie. The news tabloid reported that Bernie claiming that races at Europe are reaching an end, and he believes that Asia is the foreseeable future of F1. He added that asian's work ethics and energy is what draws him to work with them, not to mention the huge untapped market. Hence his plans with Malaysia, and more recently China.

Malaysian GP has been held at Sepang since 1999. It is a wonderfully technical and challenging circuit, and its one of the most advanced when introduced. Having seen F1 been held there for 5 yrs, what's the verdict of it? Is it a GP you would like to go to? Does it hold appeal like the historical Monza, challenging Spa, classical Monaco, or is it just another high-tech modern mickey mouse track?

Malaysia's contract to hold F1 ends in 2010. By then, Sepang would have lost it's shine as a technologically advanced track.Would you like to see F1 remain there for another 8 years, or would you like to see a refreshing change and have it moved to a new track in Singapore?
If it's the latter you opt for, would you like to see another purpose built circuit with latest and audience friendly features, a classical street circuit like a faster Monaco (with overtaking possible, of course) or an exclusive island circuit similar to Canada?

In the interview, Bernie said Singapore has many edges to win them the bid, from sponsorship, to interest, to stability and infrastructure, etc. In fact, rumours have it that Singapore was offered their chance to stage a race when F1 was first set to expand to Asia, which the country squandered, hence resulting its move to Malaysia, where Mahathir is a huge auto-fan. Now, what is stopping Bernie to give Singapore is that its hard to hold 2 F1 races in such close proximity.

So what do you think?

Treat it as a "market survey".. feedbacks are really welcomed.. Thanks!
Old 25 May 2003, 10:58 (Ref:609346)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I guess you'd like to have a race in your country... but they have to bring back Spa first, you know
Old 25 May 2003, 11:58 (Ref:609391)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well...i would definitely love too... but not to let my patriotism get into my judgement, i'd like to hear what's the opinion of the others

But on the other hand, Sepang isn't too far from where i am, so i'm still pretty pleased with the current arrangement. And there is also Melbourne...
Old 25 May 2003, 13:41 (Ref:609450)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sepang has produced fantastic races over the years, and is a challenging track for the drivers. The facilities there are truly extraordianry as well, a real credit to the 'Asian work ethic' referred to. Four races in that part of the world (including Australia) sounds about right.
Old 25 May 2003, 14:30 (Ref:609489)   #5
Lee Yue Yang
Racer

Singapore
Singapore
Lee Yue Yang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!Will love that!!Why?Coz I'm Singaporean!!!But then again,is it possible?I mean after all,there are no race track that are fit for F1.Save for two karting tracks,there is nothing else except carparks!!What do you think GT-R?
Old 25 May 2003, 14:46 (Ref:609503)   #6
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The prime minister of Malaysia, Mahathir Mohammed, was committed to making Malaysia an economic power in Asia, and the first industrialized Muslim nation, and believed that hosting a Formula 1 race would would bring his country exposure and tourism dollars. Since Mahathir is retiring at the end of the year, the future of the Malaysian Grand Prix lies in the hands of his successor. I have no problem with the Sepang circuit; I think it's the quintessential modern facility. I wish Tilke built something as worthy of praise in Europe.
Old 25 May 2003, 15:21 (Ref:609533)   #7
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Singapore did have a GP once,from the few photos I have seen it would make a great replacement for Sepang.
Old 29 May 2003, 08:45 (Ref:613233)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Hey Rob29. I've heard of it before, but i couldn't find any pictures to back it up. If you have it, do kindly PM it to me?

Indeed, i'd say that Sepang was really a brilliant work. Great facilities and a track that incorporates all the things that make a great circuit. The width, the variety of corners, etc.

LeeYY, i've studied Singapore's map for quite some time as well as the whole prospect of the idea. Been thinking of proposing the idea once more to the Singapore Motorsports Association to get more help. The last time a prospective area which was suitable for F1 was proposed to the government was later allocated to be turned into yet another of the numerous golf-course for our island. I believe that what Singapore has to offer now is to (a)Further develope the WHOLE Marina Bay area to make it a race circuit similar to Melbourne GP in concept (b) to build one around Sentosa holiday island together with the government redevolopement plans similar to Canada GP in concept (c) to do a "Monaco" around the Suntec area.

Of course, my primary preference will be (a) with its seaview, great accessibility and the Esplanade, Singapore river, Fullerton, Merlion as back drop or (b) with the nature of the surroundings.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:11 (Ref:613301)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Either one is fine for me because Asia is relatively cheap to get to from Australia.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:27 (Ref:613322)   #10
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Most noticeable thing at Sepang is the empty grandstand seats,does anyone there actually go to the races?.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:35 (Ref:613329)   #11
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
Most noticeable thing at Sepang is the empty grandstand seats,does anyone there actually go to the races?.
Give the Malaysians a break, would you want to be seen on TV cheering for Yoong?

Sepang is a very nicely designed track. It's not exactly passing friendly but seems very challenging for the drivers with all those sweeping corners. I seriously doubt Singapore has the land to produce anything close to that.
Old 29 May 2003, 10:57 (Ref:613349)   #12
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They can axe Sepang any minute, for all i care.
Old 30 May 2003, 08:26 (Ref:614482)   #13
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Hey Rob29. I've heard of it before, but i couldn't find any pictures to back it up. If you have it, do kindly PM it to me?

Sorry,I think they may have been in 1970s Autosports which I no longer have.
Dates I have;
March 29-29 1970 Sembawang-40 laps
April 2 1972 Upper Thompson 3.1 mls x 50laps
Apr 22 1973 ditto
If you have contacts with the Singapore Motor Sports Association maybe they still have maps on file.I sure the circuit database would like one!
Old 30 May 2003, 16:33 (Ref:614954)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
IF the Singapore race comes on the calender it won't be at the expense of Maylasia, so no worries there GT_R it would be at the expense of Austria and Bahrein (sp??) would be at the expense of Imola.

But Jordi is right....Spa has to come back.
Old 1 Jun 2003, 15:24 (Ref:616789)   #15
Gt_R
Veteran

It's a really big "IF", made all the tougher by the high standard of Sepang! You really have to give credit (and some critism too) to the Malaysians. They had done well with their new airport, port and circuit, but just lack the little bit extra to maximise the huge resources/ potential they are so fortunate to be blessed.

And unfortunately, if Singapore wants to join the calender, it would NEED to be at the expense of Sepang, which is a real pity. Because the proximity between both locations is really just too close.

Yeah, i noticed every year, the huge grandstands are not as filled as those we see at Monza or Silverstone, and the audience atmosphere is just lacking. And many of those spectators are actually from across the causeway....
Old 1 Jun 2003, 19:32 (Ref:617052)   #16
Baby Spice
Racer

Baby Spice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Frankly speaking, I think it's quite impossible bcoz I once read at the ITV's website that Malaysia's local TV station carries the ITV live broadcast, and last year's Malaysian viewers are more than 4 million, Singapore's population are just approximately 4.1 million while Malaysia got almost 19.9 million, and it is a very large market, for Max and Bernie, the F1 goers' none of their business, it's the tv audiences that matter, coz that'll bring money into their pocket, as long as Malaysian government willing to pay, they'll let it stay. Btw, until now, all the races that held at Sepang are quite interesting to watch, isn't it?
Old 1 Jun 2003, 19:58 (Ref:617065)   #17
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's all a bit stupid if you ask me. F1's always been focused on Europe. Why doesn't Asia build Formula Nippon into something more credible, or start up a new regional series?

At the pace F1 and CART are going, soon we'll end up with just half a dozen series spread all over the globe with massive travel expenses, and no real regional fanbase. It makes it difficult to get sponsors, the fans don't feel a strong allegiance to any series, and it leaves even more of the truly great venues in favor of Tilke-rings.

Surely the end result would be more gratifying than simply trying to steal races away from the core audience in Europe.

And honestly, it's not fair to expect countries with proper race tracks, who've supported their Grands Prix for decades, and produced competent drivers, even World Champions, to give up their races for countries who might enjoy racing from a distance, but don't even have a decent semi-permanent track.

Most countries outside Europe, the US and Canada in particular, _had_ to establish credible road-racing and rallying series as an official condition of getting dates on the World Championship calendar. I hope you'll forgive me for feeling it's rather underhanded to throw that rule out the window now just because it'll fatten Bernie's wallet.

Brazil had to wait even longer, until they produced a WDC in Emmerson Fittipaldi, before they got their spot on the calendar, despite Interlagos being built in the '40s.

Of course, the old model with modest track safety and facilities, and very short contracts for races (1 or 2 years at a time) would have allowed things like this. Time was when you ran a non-championship Grand Prix, _then_ applied for inclusion on the World Championship calendar based on merit, not on marketing potential. But, of course, this is the Age of Eccelstone...

I don't mean to say Malaysia and Singapore aren't deserving of GPs just because of geography or race. Get some more tracks built, and a vibrant national or regional racing scene going on, and produce some good drivers... _Then_ I'll have no objections whatsoever!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 1 Jun 2003 at 20:06.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 02:26 (Ref:617346)   #18
Gt_R
Veteran

I can't believe i'm actually siding with Malaysia, but Lee, Malaysia does have quite a few race tracks, their local 'gem' owns British star Lotus, they hold a round of Motorcycle racing, is the only place outside Japan to host the immensely popular and entertaining JTCC, and not to mention numerous junior catergory, national and regional racing. Petronas had also been involved with F1 for a considerable time, and Proton had been recently active in participating in rallying as well as touring cars.

The only citeria Malaysia haven't met is "produce some good drivers",read Yoong , but US and Europe aren't the only ones who could put together a proper race, (and if you ask me, Sepang circuit is indeed good enough to blow half of Europe/US circuits to the weeds) and they also had their fair share of bad drivers.

And you definitely can't say i'm a fan of Malaysia!
Old 2 Jun 2003, 03:48 (Ref:617367)   #19
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Gah, don't remind me about Lotus... Makes me want to liberate the hell of out of Malaysia every time I think about that.

Admittedly, Malaysia's come quite far, but Sepang does _not_ stand up to the 25 best circuits in either Europe or North America. It's very bland and sterile, and too damn hot!

The Lotus thing backs up something I've noticed about the Malaysian business community, though, that they seem to think they can simply buy their way into the west. Maybe they can, but it's not a good way to get respect. Maybe I'm wrong there, but it's certainly what I've percieved.

Maybe I'm just ****ed over the absolute farce that is the "Proton PERT" rally car. I mean, I can't help but be insulted by a Lancer Evo VI with _nothing_ changed but the badge. How many officials did they have to bribe to get that homologated?

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 2 Jun 2003 at 03:51.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 03:59 (Ref:617373)   #20
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Gah, don't remind me about Lotus... Makes me want to liberate the hell of out of Malaysia every time I think about that.

Admittedly, Malaysia's come quite far, but Sepang does _not_ stand up to the 25 best circuits in either Europe or North America. It's very bland and sterile, and too damn hot!

The Lotus thing backs up something I've noticed about the Malaysian business community, though, that they seem to think they can simply buy their way into the west. Maybe they can, but it's not a good way to get respect. Maybe I'm wrong there, but it's certainly what I've percieved.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 05:55 (Ref:617401)   #21
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno Lee, it's better than some of the Euro Tilke rings when it comes to viewing. It has good facilities, but your right, it doesn't stand up to anything 'great'. I'd call it good.

As for proton: joke. Hyundai at least tried to make their own vehichles. And now they're finally getting somewhere with things like the Tiburon.

Proton could do so much, but they're so short sighted. They have incredible resources but the management must stink. I'm sur ethe engineers and designers are waiting to be cut loose.

Anyway, keep it at Malaysia for now but Singapore shouldn't give up hope.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 10:52 (Ref:617588)   #22
Gt_R
Veteran

Quote :"As for proton: joke. Hyundai at least tried to make their own vehichles. And now they're finally getting somewhere with things like the Tiburon."

I agree. Proton is disappointing considering what a bad job they manage to do with all the huge resources and govt backing. And indeed, the rebaging of Mitsubishi and calling it a Proton for regional racing is nothing but a farce. The new Waja is their first in-house car, and forms the basis of the touring car. At least it earns some respect! Hyundai had really improved tremendously in comparison.
Old 2 Jun 2003, 11:05 (Ref:617597)   #23
Baby Spice
Racer

Baby Spice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lee, the ones should be blames are Bernie and Max, they are just too greedy......
Old 2 Jun 2003, 14:06 (Ref:617807)   #24
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Baby Spice
Lee, the ones should be blames are Bernie and Max, they are just too greedy......
Well that goes without saying!