Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 1 May 2008, 18:33 (Ref:2192073)   #26
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if it's on, i'll be there...

i am NOT MISSING a field this good.

i've seen group C twice, and it bones LMP, let's be honest
Old 1 May 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2192114)   #27
canam
Veteran

canam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanam should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we are beginning to get close now. In the late 80s, you had the Jag vs Merc battles amidst a gaggle of privateer 962s and the like fighting for what was left on the table. Some of the racing was very hard,the likes of which would get a stop-go these days (if not worse)
Old 1 May 2008, 20:48 (Ref:2192142)   #28
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GpC were still better imho! P1 and P2 are getting there but for asthetics GpC were far prettier monsters!
Old 1 May 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2192181)   #29
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by canam
I think we are beginning to get close now.
My thoughts precisely. We're perhaps 2-3 years away, but I reckon a similar poll (to the one on the other thread) in 2011 might have a quite different outcome. But, it's still Group C (for me) for the time being.
Old 1 May 2008, 23:24 (Ref:2192233)   #30
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Any idea if any of the American teams are planning on entering the race ?

I'd love to see that Bayside car !!!
Old 2 May 2008, 00:20 (Ref:2192251)   #31
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Just for you...
Attached Thumbnails
FAT 962.jpg   Don Law XJR12.jpg  

Last edited by Tim the Grey; 2 May 2008 at 00:24. Reason: Correct the images
Old 2 May 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2192352)   #32
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
It was not just the sights of group C that I loved it was the sounds, after 24 hours you could tell apart not only the different makes but often individual cars(or drivers) the sounds of proper racing you could enjoy with your eyes closed, now you can't say that about the audi's can you.
Old 2 May 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2192510)   #33
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
That FAT Turbo is err...phat, to use a gangster phrase.

"deep and dankers" is apparently another new one.

Very cool/good/"wicked" etc.

Can i have one, please?
Old 3 May 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2193096)   #34
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsi
Its not mine so wont say too much about the C9 but 2 swiss citizens are in the UK at the moment looking at it!!
Spa will be a push but will be at Le mans I am told.
Well, Endurance-Info.com have news on the C9 (although there's no mention of any Swiss citizens in the article?).

This is the 1989 Jean-Louis Schlesser World Championship winning car. Restored by Sauber in 1992, subsequently sold to Coxx Kocher, she has just been sold again (in March) to Australian Rob Sherrard.

The car will be one of 33 Group C's currently entered for the 40 minute race at Le Mans in June. Amongst those 33 cars are 1 Aston Martin AMR1, 5 (different) Jaguar XJR's, 5 Nissan, 7 Porsche 962 and the one Mercedes C9 which will carry the number 1 on it's silver livery in the race.

If the P3 was the star of the 2007 Le Mans Legends race, the C9 will surely steal the show this year!

(Can't wait! )
Old 3 May 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2193102)   #35
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
This is the 1989 Jean-Louis Schlesser World Championship winning car. Restored by Sauber in 1992, subsequently sold to Coxx Kocher, she has just been sold again (in March) to Australian Rob Sherrard.

The car will be one of 33 Group C's currently entered for the 40 minute race at Le Mans in June. Amongst those 33 cars are 1 Aston Martin AMR1, 5 (different) Jaguar XJR's, 5 Nissan, 7 Porsche 962 and the one Mercedes C9 which will carry the number 1 on it's silver livery in the race.
English version of article on Racecar.com (along with a listing of all 33 cars entered for the race).
Old 3 May 2008, 11:44 (Ref:2193148)   #36
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Oh man ..... this is great news !!!

Be brilliant to see Group C back at Le Mans again ..... just a shame its not a 24 hour race .
Old 3 May 2008, 13:10 (Ref:2193184)   #37
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a fantastic news, we will see and hear the Sauber once again !
BRRROOOOOMMMMM.....
Old 3 May 2008, 18:40 (Ref:2193330)   #38
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That V8 turbo sound is so iconic, can't wait to hear it in person.

C9 aside, it's the IMSA GTP cars I always look forward to seeing, as a kid I never thought I'd see the likes of the XJR-16 and '93 Joest 962C.

Are there any Electomotive Nissans coming out?
Old 3 May 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2193405)   #39
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
Will we see the C9 at Silverstone Classic?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEASE?
Old 3 May 2008, 21:22 (Ref:2193412)   #40
benjabulle
Racer

benjabulle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having seen this C9 with its previous owner, it's in perfect shape but didn't run since years. If I remember well he had bodies for low and high drag tracks so this could do the job everywhere, hope nothing bad happen for the car as he didn't have any spares except the bodies. The GTP are even more impressive than the GrC, the last 962C of Sumpter, the Intrepid or the Spice are gorgeous, hope to see new Nissan types at Spa
Old 4 May 2008, 05:12 (Ref:2193529)   #41
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

C9 aside, it's the IMSA GTP cars I always look forward to seeing, as a kid I never thought I'd see the likes of the XJR-16 and '93 Joest 962C.

That list has two of the NPTI cars- one we've seen in the last couple of years in the hands of the Randalls, but there's another listed for Donald Coaster. Even better, it also has Kent Abrahamsson listed with one of the early Nissan ZX-T GTP cars (Lola chassis aren't they?)
http://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/...ar_Front_1.jpg
(that's a random ZX-T pic rather than the actual Abrahamsson car! )
Old 4 May 2008, 06:06 (Ref:2193541)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Oh man ..... this is great news !!!

Be brilliant to see Group C back at Le Mans again ..... just a shame its not a 24 hour race .
The last time the group C cars supported the main Lemans I remember it started with a brilliant rush of the most wonderful cars, but by the end many had been retired so I think that 40 minutes is about right. Some of these cars are unique and I would rather see them race than sit in a museum, but they are fragile and we must mot be greedy. My thanks to all those owners prepared to risk these wonderful cars and the patient mechanics who spend thier time making sure they car still race.
Old 4 May 2008, 06:26 (Ref:2193547)   #43
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG

The ZX Turbo is an Electramotive Nissan I think Jag . Im a bit like you , with respect to the IMSA cars ..... that Bud Jag and short bodies Joest 962 im looking forward to seeing too , and that ZX turbo . WIll there be a Castrol XJR-12 ?

Be magice to see that C9 again though !!!
Old 5 May 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2194484)   #44
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am absolutely gobsmacked! I never thought I would see my favourite car run again, I actually have tears of joy as I type this! The best news I have had in years. And only 36 days to go untill I get to LeMans, really cant wait, I think Im going to burst with excitement!
Old 6 May 2008, 14:46 (Ref:2195280)   #45
The Badger
Veteran

Yeah ..... I know . I didnt expect to see one of them again . Brilliant machine !!!

Whats the form like of the dudes doing the driving ?

Now , we need a C9/88 ..... the AEG one !!!
Old 8 May 2008, 22:22 (Ref:2197217)   #46
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nice little appetiser............

Bernard's (bernard b) gallery of photos from Group C's last visit to Le Mans in 2004.

80 photos!
Old 9 May 2008, 00:28 (Ref:2197267)   #47
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89
I am absolutely gobsmacked! I never thought I would see my favourite car run again, I actually have tears of joy as I type this! The best news I have had in years. And only 36 days to go untill I get to LeMans, really cant wait, I think Im going to burst with excitement!
Hahaa,spoken like a true and deeply passionate sportscarfan! Very good to read so much excitement.

I myself can't wait as wel. Now only to think of a good spot to see them stars fly by....let me think...I think it's gonna be the Porsche curves.
Old 9 May 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2197420)   #48
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
Now only to think of a good spot to see them stars fly by....let me think...I think it's gonna be the Porsche curves.
Probably go to Indianapolis for qualifying on Thursday and try to find myself a spot with a view through the trees to see their approach. Then a wander to the other end of the enclosure to see and hear them accelerate out of Arnage. Not sure where I'll stand for the race, but if it's possible to get onto the roof of the new Welcome building, I may try that.
Old 9 May 2008, 08:20 (Ref:2197435)   #49
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
Probably go to Indianapolis for qualifying on Thursday and try to find myself a spot with a view through the trees to see their approach.

Does such a thing still exist?

If it does, I've missed it.
Old 9 May 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2197488)   #50
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi
Does such a thing still exist?

If it does, I've missed it.
It does exist........just, but nothing like it used to be. In fact there are two spots, a few metres apart.