Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2434884)   #26
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sounds like a great meeting . . awesome grid for 60's swingers!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:23 (Ref:2434903)   #27
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
eg the Alfas and my Uno(!) - !
How did the Uno go Andy?
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2434912)   #28
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a mixed couple of days really. Tested the Fiat (with its new engine, following the Brands blow up in 2007!!!!) on friday afternoon but was just "running in" really & was using some old list 1A tyres. Limited to 5000 rpm.

The exhaust cracked, though which curtailed things a bit & the car had to go off to be welded.

Practice on saturday was OK, (on decent, sticky, List 1B tyres) although we were a bit slow!! The car handled very well and it was good fun, though, so it was our fault! We lowered tyre pressures and I went out to practice for the second of the planned races, the sports vs saloon race, & improved my time by 3 secs! The fastest the car has done round there with me or Nigel driving is 1 min 31.8 & I did a 1 min 32.8 without really trying so i was pleased.

I should add that in the Saloon Vs Sports car practice I was nominally the slowest car on the grid but I qualified 18 out of 24. It was good fun overtaking a Westfield round the outside at Coram and hassling a big Jag XJ 6 saloon - overtaking up the inside in the corners but he got me back on the straights! Damned Coventry heavy metal!

Unfortunately, early in the Tin Tops 40 min race the exhaust cracked again in about 3 places so it it was game over & I didn't get to race.

I think the engine is mounted slightly differently to how the old engine was & the exhaust has mounted very stiffly so there is no flex. We need to look in to some form of flexible exhaust coupling.

I was pleased with our 25 cars on the Tin Tops grid. I think that the field has got quicker on average, though, as one or two people have moved up from Class C to Class A & a few of the slower Class B car people (ex Maestros) have moved to Future Classics in different cars. There were still a few cars around the Fiat pace to battle agianst, though, including a couple of Alfa suds, and Alfa 33, and Pug 205.

It was good fun whilst it lasted, pity about the exhaust! Roll on Brands Hatch.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2434951)   #29
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this you Andy? Trying the demon outside line..

Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:29 (Ref:2434956)   #30
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its my car but my co-driver pushing the pedals!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2434969)   #31
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting clip point from No40! No doubt the observer would have been taking note's from his vantage point.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2435003)   #32
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit & Paddock - 1

Celia Stevens and Ian McDonald had a couple of Peerless supporters out for their Warwick 350GT (pic 3)

A few more later.
Attached Thumbnails
CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 036wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 042wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 046wb.jpg  

CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 049wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 056wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 071wb.jpg  

Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:31 (Ref:2435072)   #33
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
SPECTATORSAL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Scannell View Post
What else could anyone wish for! Bootiful Norfolk countryside, Brilliant Sunshine, Great Friends, Fanstastic Cars and Competitive Racing!!

I would like to say a sincere big THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to another superb CSCC Snetterton meeting.

All the competitors, marshals & officials, rescue & recovery crews and to the circuit staff who all worked so well together, as always, to make the weekend so enjoyable.

I would especially wish to thank all the co-ordinators for various championships for all their assistance to the team in Race Control by ensuring all their drivers and cars were in the right place at the right time to help us keep everything running to timetable.

Hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did "upstairs"!!

Terry
As a spectator I completely agree that it was a first rate race meeting - the racing was fast & furious, the grids were (in the main) packed out with gorgeous cars, the meeting ran like clockwork & we now can't wait for Brands in May!! Wish I was at Snett again right now though!!

Sal
Old 6 Apr 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2435079)   #34
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done to all involved both behind the scenes and on the track. I really missed not being on the black stuff myself but it was good to see my old car aquitting itself well in the hands of its new owner. Must get a move on with the TVR build! Fabulous grid of Swingers - loved watching the Corvettes through the Bomb-Hole. Great effort by Ian and Celia in getting their car there - I gather it was still being finished at 2am on Sunday morning! As always a well run meeting with a really diverse range of cars - it just goes from strength to strength (of course the sun shine was an added bonus).
Old 6 Apr 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2435161)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pit & Paddock - 2

More:-
Attached Thumbnails
CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 101wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 102wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 115wb.jpg  

CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 120wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 129wb.jpg   CSCC - Snetterton - 5 April 2009 137wb.jpg  

Old 6 Apr 2009, 13:42 (Ref:2435174)   #36
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What a terrific race meeting! Thanks to the clerk of the course, marshalls, admins, scrutineers and the CSCC staff for a really well run and enjoyable race meeting. True club racing with close but fair racing up and down the grid.

It was lovely to see John T, Moose, Celia and Ian and lots of friends we haven't seen for quite sometime. And what with glorious weather, could things have been more perfect?

Well yes for us as it would have been terrific to have got a race finish in our first race in the Griff for close to 18 months. However after a pretty decent pit stop with Jason running around 12th, the car refused to go into gear. I finally got it in, hurtled onto the track and got as far as the back straight when the gears went missing again as the Griff had lost it's clutch fluid (cause unknown at this stage). Game over which was a shame - had I found either 3rd or 4th I could have trundled around quite nicely for a finish.

Still, it certainly didn't detract from the day and we were absolutely over the moon that our mate Laurence Bailey had such a fab race in his "new" 65 Corvette finishing 4th in class and 11th overall. Not bad for a first outing! And his dad Tony did really well in the Allcomers race at the end of the day.

Can't wait until Brands when hopefully Jason will be out in the Griff (with a working clutch) and I'll be sharing our Lancia Beta with my mate Graham.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2435181)   #37
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAK View Post

Can't wait until Brands when hopefully.....I'll be sharing our Lancia Beta with my mate Graham.
In which race, "Tin Tops" or "Future Classics"?
Old 6 Apr 2009, 14:35 (Ref:2435192)   #38
LAK
Racer

LAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLAK should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Andy - Future Classics. In fact I think the Griff will be in Future Classics as well as I hear that Swinging Sixties is full already and the forms have only been out a week! Very popular...
Old 6 Apr 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2435194)   #39
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Hi Andy - Future Classics. In fact I think the Griff will be in Future Classics as well as I hear that Swinging Sixties is full already and the forms have only been out a week! Very popular...
Swinging Sixties is certainly one of the big successes of UK club motorsport! Is the Beta a 2 litre n/a car? It would probably go well in "Tin Tops", too. OK, the front of the grid is dominated by modern Hondas etc but at the more "gentlemanly" end of the grid there are several cars of a similar era to the Lancia - the Alfas and my Uno included. It would be good to have our own mini-Italian challenge! The more the merrier. In fact, you could enter both TT & FC & get even more vfm motorsport.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 15:45 (Ref:2435258)   #40
OU812
Rookie

England
Preston
OU812 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hopefully most of you are coming to Anglesey on the 18th/19th?
Old 6 Apr 2009, 15:49 (Ref:2435262)   #41
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
There's no "Tin Tops" race at Anglesey, sadly, so i won't be there. I am diappointed as the Coastal layout is one of my favourite circuits in the country, & if the weather is as good as it was at Snetterton this weekend, it will be awesome with all that scenery around!

I hope that SS, FC, Mag 7s and the guest series get good grids. Its really worth the effort to go.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2435273)   #42
SPECTATORSAL
Racer

United Kingdom
Colchester, Essex
SPECTATORSAL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always think Anglesey looks a smashing circuit when I see it on the telly!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2435286)   #43
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
Sal, you should go, it really is fantastic - especially the "corkscrew" bit.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 17:53 (Ref:2435363)   #44
LAK
Racer

Quote:
We can't make it to Anglesey as we'll be racing our Aurelia at Mallory. Being blessed with lots of Clubs to race with it's often a case of picking and choosing. The races with the Aurelia are a team championship so that has to take priority for us.

Andy, the Beta is indeed a 2 litre and goes very well. It's a double championship winning HSCC 70's Road Sports car. We used to run it in Swinging 60's (at Spa and the 'Ring) but with the popularity of that series, we're in FC. It's actually hubby Jason's car but he's racing the Griff and I'll be sharing the Beta with a friend. He's just bought a 145 and will be out to play in Tin Tops later in the season so we should arrange to meet up for a natter.
Old 6 Apr 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2435399)   #45
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Once again an excellent days sport with the CSCC. 'Our' grid of Swinging Sixties looked fantastic in the assembly area, a credit to all. Good clean racing as usual though a bit lonely for me most of the race.

Great to finally meet John T, good to see the 'Kennedy's again though sorry to see the car parked at the end of Revett straight.

Great to see Celia & Ians Warwick out on track, looked like fun with those very skinny tyres and the most unusual exhaust I've see for ages

Once again thanks to all the organisers, the CSCC team, officials and marshals.

See you at Anglesey
CSCC Swinging Sixties #128 Red/Black Mustang
Old 6 Apr 2009, 20:15 (Ref:2435450)   #46
restyles
Rookie

United Kingdom
Bridgham, Norfolk.
restyles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A brilliant weekends racing thoroughly enjoyed. Great grids, especially the swinging sixties. Wish I could attend a few more CSCC meetings. I bet they all clash with Snett dates, in which case I wont be able to for obvious reasons. Nice to catch up with a few TT people, John, Sal & Nick and Andy K, for a chat in the sunshine. Why is'nt every weekends racing like that ? Will pop a few pics on later (Yes John, Thursday onwards !!)
Old 7 Apr 2009, 07:26 (Ref:2435687)   #47
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saddly I had other commitments on Sunday,would have been good to have caught up with everyone.Clearly the SS was one of the main attractions,Saturdays events seemed to be a little procession like.
Terry,Sorry I missed you,I did come up to RC but you were otherwise engaged,see you at the Three hour.
I shall have to content myself with a browse over on JTs excellent Turnstyle site.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 07:48 (Ref:2435703)   #48
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 10 - Silverstone Tyres MR2

The MR2s provided a lively start to Sunday's proceedings

24 starters; 20 finishers.

It's a sobering thought that Toyota's first series MR2s were introduced over 20 years ago, since to me they are still pretty modern, but actually they must qualify as historic rather than contemporary. Though they have never exactly floated my boat, they do have a good following and must be regarded, along with the MX5 as the 1980s equivalent of the 1960s MGBs/Triumph Spitfires etc; in other words classics in the making, albeit from the cheaper end of sporting motoring. It's the very latter aspect that no doubt makes them a relatively cheap and practical car to go racing in.

There were some good battles through the field but I do tend to lose track of racing when it involves one make, so I cannot give you much in the way of detail. However, Gareth Newton (24) and Adam Lockwood (51) disputed the lead strongly early on although Newton always seem to have the edge, particularly after Lockwood had run onto the dirt on the exit of the Esses, and ran home winner by just over 2 seconds. Liam O'Toole was never that far behind and finished 3rd, a further 2.7 seconds back.

Below you see the lead battle and then 4th placed Jason Jesse (37) in the Esses, sporting a rather unusual livery. I'm not sure who was trying to overtake who here but I rather think it is an attempt by Shane Wright to go around the outside of Ross Stoner (22), since he is just about to get out of shape and very nearly lose it whilst trying to pull his speed down for the second part of the Esses. He did later pass Stoner to take 7th. The final picture shows the reason for Jess O'Halleran's retirement.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1356wl4.jpg   IMG_1435wl4.jpg   IMG_1439wl4.jpg  

IMG_1466wl4.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 13 Apr 2009 at 18:34.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2435737)   #49
Podd37
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Podd37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm there with the 128 in S/S. Can't wait, 1st time out this year and I love the circuit.
Old 7 Apr 2009, 09:10 (Ref:2435751)   #50
turbster
Rookie

England
West Yorkshire
turbster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great day and I had a good race in my Scimitar, had loads of fun with a Morgan, Marcos 1800 and an E-Type throughout the race, I'd take them on the bends and they'd get me down the straights as that's where my car seems to be lacking a little grunt.... Nice to meet John T, and I had a look for Moose, but you never seemed to be around when I wandered down that end of the garages!!

Bring on Anglesey.... and it's short straights
Swinging Sixties #3 TVR Tuscan V8