Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Nov 2003, 22:33 (Ref:790037)   #1
Sile
Rookie

Sile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix International

I came accross some old (82 & 83) F1 magazines called Grand Prix International at a antique store. I bought them and they are great! They seem to come out after every GP, sometimes they have 2 races in an issue. I learned a lot about that era and the pictures are fantastic. I found some on e-bay as well. I am wondering if anyone knows when the magazine stoped publishing, and why? If someone know what is the last issue number that would be great. Thanks.
Old 20 Nov 2003, 23:57 (Ref:790103)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it ended in 1985, as I never saw it after that. It was a good magazine for sure.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 00:09 (Ref:790110)   #3
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPI ended in the early to mid 90's (afaik) I think I still have some of the later years, certainly '94 editions
Old 21 Nov 2003, 00:11 (Ref:790111)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPI? you sure that wasnt Prix Editions?
Old 21 Nov 2003, 13:14 (Ref:790565)   #5
Joe Machado
Rookie

Joe Machado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix International was published after each Grand Prix. It was a great F1 magazine which also published issues on Group C at the time. Their coverage was also great and very detailed including the IMSA (American Group C) coverage. Great pictures, the best photographers of the time and great articles. Too bad they did not last through the years.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 13:18 (Ref:790572)   #6
Ryo28
Racer

United Kingdom
Stockport, UK (and Leeds Uni)
Ryo28 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt they sponsor Arrows at some point...?
Old 21 Nov 2003, 13:28 (Ref:790586)   #7
MikeM
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wilmslow, UK
MikeM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes they did sponsor Arrows and also the Silverstone 6 hours sports cars. Excellent mag!
Old 21 Nov 2003, 13:41 (Ref:790607)   #8
Joe Machado
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryo28
Didnt they sponsor Arrows at some point...?
They sponsored Dereck Warwick at both teams. The six hours was won with a Kremer Porsche designed and built in house. It was called the Kremer CK. Lovely little car.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 14:53 (Ref:790710)   #9
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Er, sorry Joe, the Silverstone 6 Hours, 83 I think, was not won by a Kremer CK5. Nice looking car I'll give you that, but never a Group C winner at that level. That race was won by, as usual at that time, the works 956s, can't remember who in 83, either Bell/Bellof or Ickx/Mass.

At that time Warwick was with Toleman in F1, the next year Renault. GPI did sponsor Arrows that year, drivers were Boutsen and Surer. The TGP championship just finished had a GPI colured Arrows A6, can't remember who has it.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 15:18 (Ref:790729)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Didnt GPI sponsor the Fitzpatrick Porsche in 83?
Old 21 Nov 2003, 15:24 (Ref:790734)   #11
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a lovely magazine.....well produced. I remember asking my parents to change my subscription from the Beano to GPI!
Old 21 Nov 2003, 15:25 (Ref:790736)   #12
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ghinzani (why the nickname, any connexion??)

I fear we may be on the wrong thread here, but I think they sponsored quite a lot that year, though only relatively small sums I believe. I guess the Group C support was a sa result of them launching the Group C/IMSA magazines that year.
Old 21 Nov 2003, 18:21 (Ref:790916)   #13
Sile
Rookie

Sile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know they sponsored Palmer & Allen Berg in F3, because they have a story on their f3 drivers in some issues. Did they ever make it to 1987?
Old 22 Nov 2003, 00:02 (Ref:791146)   #14
Joe Machado
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Rear
Er, sorry Joe, the Silverstone 6 Hours, 83 I think, was not won by a Kremer CK5. Nice looking car I'll give you that, but never a Group C winner at that level. That race was won by, as usual at that time, the works 956s, can't remember who in 83, either Bell/Bellof or Ickx/Mass.

At that time Warwick was with Toleman in F1, the next year Renault. GPI did sponsor Arrows that year, drivers were Boutsen and Surer. The TGP championship just finished had a GPI colured Arrows A6, can't remember who has it.
Hey Dan, I am an old man.......I discarded all my GP International a few years back. Too bad, I would look it
up. I could swear I had a centerfold with the Kremer in GPI colors. Maybe not. Thanks for letting me know.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 00:09 (Ref:791151)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

That K3 was more current in 1982, maybe they sponsored it then. I will look thru the Autosports when I get a chance and let you know - I have a feeling a K3 was sponsored by them, did it have two tone paint work with a diagonal stripe? maybe white and blue??
Old 22 Nov 2003, 00:11 (Ref:791152)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Rear
Ghinzani (why the nickname, any connexion??)

After the untouchable Senna, Peter Charles was my faveourite F1 driver. Brave, stoic and quick - he summed it all up for me + his loyalty to Enzo.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 12:52 (Ref:791414)   #17
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by ghinzani
That K3 was more current in 1982, maybe they sponsored it then. I will look thru the Autosports when I get a chance and let you know - I have a feeling a K3 was sponsored by them, did it have two tone paint work with a diagonal stripe? maybe white and blue??
GPI certainly sponsored the CK5- the one that first comes to mind is Le Mans in 83. You're pretty much spot on with the colours- white with red and blue diagonal stripes-

http://www.ultimodels.com/images/PM/PMK1715.jpg

They also sponsored a Kremer 956 at least once that year(Silverstone), so possibly the GPI colours appeared on the CK5 at other times as well- anyone?

http://racingsportscars.t35.com/phot...-05-08-021.jpg
Old 23 Nov 2003, 10:26 (Ref:792030)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPI and prix edition were edited by the same guy,i think he was a brit but lived in adelaide.
Yes they were absolutally first class.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:21 (Ref:792069)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a couple of editions of GPI, ranging from 1984-1986, by then these include Rallying and Powerboats, as well as the WEC and Formula One. Fantastic stuff.
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:24 (Ref:792071)   #20
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
After the untouchable Senna, Peter Charles was my faveourite F1 driver. Brave, stoic and quick - he summed it all up for me + his loyalty to Enzo.
And he survived one of the fastest, nastiest shunts in F1 history. At Kyalami in the warm-up(?)at the fast left hand kink behind the paddock.. Year? was it '84?
Old 23 Nov 2003, 11:57 (Ref:792086)   #21
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
And he survived one of the fastest, nastiest shunts in F1 history. At Kyalami in the warm-up(?)at the fast left hand kink behind the paddock.. Year? was it '84?
Thats correct - I havent seen many good quality pictures, but I think it was at the Juskei bend? It was definately 1984, with the prototype Osella-Alfa turbo which I have been to led to beleive was actually a converted Alfa 183t.
Old 24 Nov 2003, 01:27 (Ref:792535)   #22
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fantastic magazine. wish i still had mine; i used to buy it in '81-2 but then couldn't find it anywhere. could anyone do some scans?
Old 15 Jan 2004, 09:16 (Ref:838994)   #23
andrea
Rookie

andrea should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grand Prix International was published from 1979-1986.The last number of this magazine was No 106 with Belgian and Canadian GP.Until 1984 it was only F1 magazine,but since then it followed Rally,CART,IMSA,powerboats etc.I think this the best F1 magazine which was ever published.

Forza Andrea,
Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:11 (Ref:839031)   #24
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it became "Prix Editions" which lasted up until the mid nineties?

It was a good magazine, pretty much the predessor of "F1 Racing", glossy pages, plenty of lifestyle stuff and race reviews.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 15 Jan 2004, 21:23 (Ref:839630)   #25
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
And underrated- Euro F3 Champ, 2x winner in the World Sportscar Championship with less than 1st rate equipment when the WSCC was hyper-competitive. And at Dallas kept it together when the likes of Prost and Lauda were hurling it at the wall; however I think his drive to 7th at Monaco in the wet was better, which should have been 6th but an illegal Arnoux push-start was missed. That Osella had no right to be in the race, let alone driven by someone who had nearly been killed a few weeks before.

The 1984 GPIs are the best, they have full reports and colour pics &c of F1, sportscars and CART. And the wonderful 'Press Book' with all sorts of rare photos (Kuwashima in the Williams, anyone?). But they only lasted a few weeks in this format, I guess it was too in depth and expensive.