Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Jan 2004, 21:25 (Ref:837144)   #26
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Room for improvement?

You can't really see that well, but there isn't much room to change the entrance. They are obviously using all the available space.

Do we know when these changes will be complete?
Attached Thumbnails
bus stop.jpg  
Old 13 Jan 2004, 21:36 (Ref:837156)   #27
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
as you look at this picture just to the left and behind the Fina hoarding there is a large expanse of wasteland that overlooks the paddock...plenty of room to work with

Last edited by PaulSands; 13 Jan 2004 at 21:36.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:00 (Ref:837186)   #28
vroAAarr
Rookie

vroAAarr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by santori
Seeing the cars bouncing around awkwardly after a lap of beauty... yuk.
I have to stop you there. It's one of the hotspots (specially at night) during the 24 hours race. Seeing the cars 'being thrown' into the tight corner, storming out of the busstop again, up to La Source... It gives me goosebumps, just thinking of it... (I know, I know... I'm a sensitive guy...
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:17 (Ref:837199)   #29
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jasongore
Looking at the map, it appears that the entry to the chicane is being reprofiled from a sharp left/right (which I have seen catch a few drivers out), into a clone of the first chicane at Monza. Slower, but may well provide more of a passing oportunity and if you get it wrong you wount end up in the wall.
Somehow i doubt it will. It forces the cars to turn too much, which much effective close the door on the inside, so passing is more or less impossible unless you were already way in front when you got there. Just like T1 Monza in fact, you just can't pass there.
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:42 (Ref:837231)   #30
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as they leave Eau Rouge alone ................
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:45 (Ref:837232)   #31
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
as you look at this picture just to the left and behind the Fina hoarding there is a large expanse of wasteland that overlooks the paddock...plenty of room to work with
Yes, looking at it more there is quite a bit of room (and I suppose there must be because they wouldn't do it otherwise). I think they will end up using most of it.
Quote:
Originally posted by vroAAarr
I have to stop you there. It's one of the hotspots (specially at night) during the 24 hours race. Seeing the cars 'being thrown' into the tight corner, storming out of the busstop again, up to La Source... It gives me goosebumps, just thinking of it... (I know, I know... I'm a sensitive guy...
Agreed and watching an F1 car break for it was fantastic too. Although I guess they will still be breaking from the same speed. However as you say they won't throw the car into it.

Lots of chicanes everywhere is bad, but the odd decent one is fine!
Old 13 Jan 2004, 22:52 (Ref:837238)   #32
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
We have too many tight chicanes. If we have to have chicanes, then they all need to be like the bus stop or Abbey, where you can actually get two cars side by side through them
I think this has made the circuit worse IMO. Still, they daren't touch Eau Rouge
Old 14 Jan 2004, 08:40 (Ref:837606)   #33
vroAAarr
Rookie

vroAAarr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Pitstop
As long as they leave Eau Rouge alone ................
Hear Hear...!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:24 (Ref:837684)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer
Any chance of taking things step further an reintroducing Masta straight.................
Er are you sure you don't mean Masta "Kink"?

I liked the original Bus Stop. Especially the way it spat you at the barriers. You could tell the brave one's just by watching them bounce across the exit kerbs.

The current configuration is good though and you can maintain that speed up to La Source.

But this? It will cause more serious braking into the chicane but I believe it reduces the "line" and therefore options for entry.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 10:30 (Ref:837695)   #35
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
(nice to see you around again Peter)

I suppose it remains to be seen what effect it has, but I don't see it being any better for racing.

Also these things are normally done for safety. Is it me? but I didn't see any problem with the previous configuration.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:06 (Ref:837777)   #36
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Er are you sure you don't mean Masta "Kink"?

I liked the original Bus Stop. Especially the way it spat you at the barriers. You could tell the brave one's just by watching them bounce across the exit kerbs.

The current configuration is good though and you can maintain that speed up to La Source.

But this? It will cause more serious braking into the chicane but I believe it reduces the "line" and therefore options for entry.
Technically the straight preceding the kink is called the Masta straight
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:14 (Ref:837783)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah but a staright is a straight. A kink is er.......... a kink?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 12:56 (Ref:837835)   #38
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Doesn't the Monaco start/finish straight have a kink in it ?
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:01 (Ref:837852)   #39
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Yep but the Masta Kink was in fact a long sweeping curve.

Just goes to show that names can be deceiving.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 13:06 (Ref:837858)   #40
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
Doesn't the Monaco start/finish straight have a kink in it ?
And I thought it was the contrary...
Old 14 Jan 2004, 14:24 (Ref:837966)   #41
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Yep but the Masta Kink was in fact a long sweeping curve.

Just goes to show that names can be deceiving.
No, the Masta kink was a left-right jink in the road. Adam posted a pic of presumably himself standing on the entry to it.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 14:38 (Ref:837983)   #42
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Sorry for causing such disagreement gents!

I didn't know exactly the profile of Masta either. Only mentioned it cos saw a pic of a 1978 Grp 1 Belga Capri going through it in an old article!

Thanks for putting pics link on Adam, quite interesting too!

So we're all agreed. Don't muck Eau Rouge up again, or do too much with Bus Stop and bring back Masta 'blast' (neither straight or curve!)
Old 14 Jan 2004, 15:18 (Ref:838015)   #43
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
For more info on the old Spa http://www.racingcircuits.net/Belgiu...rchamps57.html

Maps, layouts and lots of great info. (racingcircuits.net is an excellent site)
Old 14 Jan 2004, 15:26 (Ref:838026)   #44
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer
I didn't know exactly the profile of Masta either. Only mentioned it cos saw a pic of a 1978 Grp 1 Belga Capri going through it in an old article!
Tee hee. Have a look at this http://www.mallettracing.co.uk/IMAGES/spa2003_1.jpg
Old 14 Jan 2004, 22:01 (Ref:838496)   #45
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Old Spa was (is) beautiful. The old big circuits have that beauty: long, fast, "natural layout". I think Le Mans is pretty much (even with the Hunadieres chicanes) the only one surviving of that golden epoch.

Of course, they are scary! ... but I don't have to drive racing cars around them!
Old 14 Jan 2004, 22:50 (Ref:838550)   #46
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Schleizer Dreieck still exists, a very fast motorcycle circuit made from public roads. And we still have Isle Of Man, and Bathurst to name many other fearsome tracks of Spa's era
Old 14 Jan 2004, 23:01 (Ref:838567)   #47
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The world could come to an end, but I don't care, as long as they leave Eau Rouge alone ................
Old 15 Jan 2004, 07:45 (Ref:838916)   #48
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Schleizer Dreieck still exists, a very fast motorcycle circuit made from public roads. And we still have Isle Of Man, and Bathurst to name many other fearsome tracks of Spa's era
I had auto racing in mind but certainly I should not forget the great Isle of Man circuit, a truly majestic piece of tarmac. and Bathurst is another "auto" fine example, but I admit I have never watched car racing there (just photos)

Well, I also forgot Nivelles...
Old 15 Jan 2004, 08:19 (Ref:838941)   #49
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
They still race partially on Charade too...
Old 15 Jan 2004, 08:36 (Ref:838965)   #50
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't the Historic Sportscars & Formula Junior visit Charade in 2003?