Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2004, 18:45 (Ref:838301)   #26
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Trouble is that, even from the No2 Ferrari, it's a big step down - unless you get a really good offer from another top team and in reality how would Rubens, who is more of an emotional character, perform in the somewhat 'stone cold' environment that William's traditionally offer?

Overall, this deal looks like his best option, he would only get a run at the WDC if MS quits before his contract is up, but who really has Rubens down as WDC material?

Plus it's reported he is on $12M per year for this deal, which is certainly more than FW would be offering, I would warrant.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:22 (Ref:838384)   #27
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I'm still not convinced Kinmi will stay at Macca's. He's not a Williams type of man but TGF has been complimentary about his driving and thats a good sign that if anyone was to take over from him they would have his recommendation.
Kimi under Todt, brawn and Byrne would be a very potent force, especially if he had 90% of the effort behind him, the way Michael has.
Ron needs to be very careful about creating the sort of rivalry he had durng the Prost/Senna era and I doubt that Kimi would play second fiddle to JPM the way DC has, nor would JPM play second fiddle to Kimi. JPM did not sign with Macca's to be second to anyone.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 20:51 (Ref:838419)   #28
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Schuey will retire after 2004, Rubens will be promoted to team leader and Kimi Raikkonen will be drafted in with equal status to Ruby.

Just you wait and see.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:10 (Ref:838439)   #29
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by fiona
i got a feeling rubens has been sold a dummy, i cant honestly ever seeing him winning the WDC while M schumacher is at ferrari unless theres a repeat of 1999
and even then he still wouldn't be good enough to win it.
Old 14 Jan 2004, 21:23 (Ref:838458)   #30
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll admit I find this a bit surprising as all the noise out of Ferrari is that they were going to replace him. Well, I'm glad they didn't. Rubens has done an excellent job during his time with the team.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 01:55 (Ref:838744)   #31
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm recieving this with a little bit of mixed feelings.

I'm pretty sure that with Rubens contract extention, Michael had signalled his intention to quit before the contract expires. There is absolutely no way Ferrari would change everybody in the team at one shot, knowing that continuity is one of the strengths the team possess.

In which case, end of 2004 is the best time to quit for both Michael and Ferrari. No matter how bad this season go, Michael would still end on a high (afterall, this season's all abt tires isnt it?). For Ferrari, they would have a huge pool of talents to pick their next superstar in Kimi/Alonso/Massa, or even settle for a shortterm back up in Fisichella.

Michael knows he's no longer at the peak, but a gradual decline. There's nothing that can be done against this nature. Rubens staying on is a bit of a mixed decision. He isn't exactly setting the world on flames like Kimi or Alonso, hence people probably don't take him as a WDC quality. However, if Suzuka is anything to go by,Rubens would get better this season as he perfects his left-foot braking and his superb technical feedbacks.

Good for Ferrari, it's a little early for Ferrari to decide this contract extention, but though it may not be a great news, it certainly is not a bad news.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 08:20 (Ref:838943)   #32
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After his contract renewed, Rubens start to aiming for championship. He expects to achieve his dream of winning the WDC.

Rubens just dreaming or he know something that we didn't know: Michael will retire soon?

http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?s=5&id=25749
Old 15 Jan 2004, 08:29 (Ref:838959)   #33
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I must admit that his press speak about winning a WDC does give me the impression he knows a little more than he is saying publicly. Maybe you are right and MS is leaving earlier than expected.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:17 (Ref:839036)   #34
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Having said that MS has just come out with a press statement saying he doesn't rule out staying at Ferrari beyond 2006...The plot thickens.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 10:32 (Ref:839046)   #35
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi award winner..

Bact to e topic, I believe MS saying that only to stop the speculations and not giving the game away to his competitor. I don't really see how he would go to F1 so late, especially he's showing signs of all retirees do,ie Mika's-"family comes first" etc

As from today's Michael, competition is no longer about outright domination. He's still in it because he loves F1, and still has the desire to race and win. But from Ferrari's point of view, he is still up to the game or has his age start to let weaknesses creep in?

I'm an admirer of MS through and through. Michael had been amazing enough to be competitive at the top of F1 for a long decade. But surely, he can't fight the eventual.

I'd be sad when Michael leaves, but he will, and it's about time too.

And Rubens, may not be the out right star in our eyes, compared to JPM/Kimi/Alonso...but remember, this guy won more races than the rest last 2 seasons.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 12:50 (Ref:839172)   #36
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
I think Kimi is a Mercedes man, and will remain at Mclaren.

About marketing purposes, very unlikely. TGF stars all Ferrari/FIAT ads around, as he's very popular in Brazil. I'd like that Massa could have some limelight, but Senna's image is too strong to beat.
I see what you're saying but as i understand it Rubens was only signed in the beginning because Fiat wanted to appeal to the South american people, as it was their second largest car sales market. Not sure if it's still the case.

Schu and Brawn rate the Kimster highly and the only other guy they have shown real interest in has just signed for McLaren, so as someone else has since said on here, Kimi is most likely to be signed alongside Rubens, as early as for next season perhaps.
Old 15 Jan 2004, 14:10 (Ref:839250)   #37
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by chunterer
I see what you're saying but as i understand it Rubens was only signed in the beginning because Fiat wanted to appeal to the South american people, as it was their second largest car sales market. Not sure if it's still the case.
Two points.

1-That's Brazil, not South America. People mix the two without knowing how different the cultures are between the country and the rest of the continent. Don't expect an argentinian or an uruguayan cheering for a brazilian.

2-RB is not popular in Brazil to make FIAT think that he will increase their sales. In fact, the last 3 years has been a disaster for his image in Brazil. The extension of his contract as a 2# role in Ferrari doesn't make any better, when most of people were expecting him to move out and let the seat to a more promising brazilian, if you know what I mean.