Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Sep 2018, 13:08 (Ref:3848678)   #101
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Hilarious!

Not once since I posted in this thread on Ferrari and the covering of the FOM camera (post #68 >), have I ever said that Ferrari are doing something "illegal" or they are "cheating". Go back and read from post #68. Read carefully.

I was merely pointing out that the reason given by Ferrari for why a dry ice bag is placed over the camera, and the actual reason for why they do it were two very different things. Nothing more, nothing less.

Ferrari (and their ignoramus fans) have said the ice bag was to cool electronics inside the camera housing, when in fact, it was to block the camera from recording/broadcasting information that Ferrari wanted to protect. Ferrari obviously have something in their car set up procedure that they don't wish others to see (speculation is it's something to do with Ferrari's ERS, which has been cleared by the FiA). Nothing illegal or cheating about that. It's been going on for years in where teams have tried to protect an advantage they have over the other teams.

But we have the usual suspects who will leap to defend Ferrari's actions, but these same individuals are the only ones who bought up the subject of Ferrari doing something illegal and/or are cheating. See below for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
If there was really something genuinely untoward happening, it would surely have been pressed harder by the other teams by now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
There's also a completely made up assumption that if a team is hiding something then it must be illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
All this hot air just seems to be an attempt at building a foundation for if Vettel wins the WDC “there will always be question marks over the legality of the car”, rather than “he was better than Lewis over the course of the season”
Guilty conscious maybe?? Hilarious!

And then the usual petulant posts by the usual suspects will soon follow.

Last edited by F1Guy; 7 Sep 2018 at 13:13.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 13:24 (Ref:3848681)   #102
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
Not once since I posted in this thread on Ferrari and the covering of the FOM camera (post #68 >), have I ever said that Ferrari are doing something "illegal" or they are "cheating".
Did any post say that you specifically were the one making claims of illegality, or have you merely interpreted posts as such?

Although, it would be interesting to understand what was being implied by the comment made in another thread:

'But I'm sure the FiA will swiftly put out the fire with their special Ferrari spec extinguishers'
Old 7 Sep 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3848684)   #103
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, you never mentioned the rules or legality.

Quote:
Seems some teams are still seeking more clarification from the FiA as to what is allowed and what is within the rules.
Or maybe you did, who knows. And now you'll deflect and say you didn't and that was the teams saying that and not you, and therefore you're right and didn't talk about it, etc etc etc. And you try and make everyone else look like an idiot by saying the usual suspects will follow - attempting to kill any sort of conversation by pre-emptively shaming anyone wanting to actually talk on the forum.

Point is - it's all being brought up to talk about whether the car is legal or not. So far, there's nothing from actual sources that suggest it is. What we're seeing is some brilliant mind games though. Gordon Murray did it back in the day by installing random metal containers with wires coming out of it on cars. Complete distraction tactics that had people talking for years. The boxes weren't even attached to anything. Brilliant bit of psychology.

Despite what anyone thinks, I don't particularly like Ferrari. I'm just not a fan of pitchforks and burning torches.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 13:26 (Ref:3848685)   #104
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
If I’d ran a team I’d do this all the time. Then settle down with a nice drink and peruse Internet forums. Except, of course, I’d have a life.
I used to write meaningless numbers on tyres and the chassis in chalk when we were racing and had a lot of fun with it. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story when a competitor asks a question.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 13:35 (Ref:3848689)   #105
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This whole thing is making me think of the 'smuggling bicycles' joke at the moment.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 13:41 (Ref:3848692)   #106
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Yeah, you never mentioned the rules or legality.

Or maybe you did, who knows. And now you'll deflect and say you didn't and that was the teams saying that and not you, and therefore you're right and didn't talk about it, etc etc etc. And you try and make everyone else look like an idiot by saying the usual suspects will follow - attempting to kill any sort of conversation by pre-emptively shaming anyone wanting to actually talk on the forum.
Yep. It’s highly juvenile behaviour. Completely kills any chance at an adult discussion. Oh well.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:24 (Ref:3848694)   #107
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
I used to write meaningless numbers on tyres and the chassis in chalk when we were racing and had a lot of fun with it. Never let the truth get in the way of a good story when a competitor asks a question.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:25 (Ref:3848696)   #108
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85 View Post
Yep. It’s highly juvenile behaviour. Completely kills any chance at an adult discussion. Oh well.
Let’s rise above it.
Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:36 (Ref:3848699)   #109
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Ferrari (and their ignoramus fans)
As you raise the point - may I ask what you are implying here:

Is every Ferrari fan an ignoramus?
Is anyone who is an ignoramus by default a Ferrari fan?
Are some Ferrari fans also an ignoramus?
Are some people who are an ignoramus also a Ferrari fan?

I am asking genuinely because it will help to determine whether it is possible to discuss points without automatically being assumed to have a certain opinion or intellect?

(For the record, I am not - in any way - a Ferrari fan. I merely want to see a championship contested without accusations of bias, cheating or prejudice, and to be accepted as a genuine sporting achievement for the victor(s))
Old 7 Sep 2018, 14:56 (Ref:3848705)   #110
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
This whole thing is making me think of the 'smuggling bicycles' joke at the moment.
Sorry crm. I love a good joke, please enlighten me (it may lighten up the thread too!)
Old 7 Sep 2018, 15:11 (Ref:3848707)   #111
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Sorry crm. I love a good joke, please enlighten me (it may lighten up the thread too!)
One version goes:

'In the days of the Berlin Wall, there was a little old man who crossed the checkpoint every week, pushing his bicycle and carrying a heavy sack. The border guard, suspecting him of smuggling, always searched the sack thoroughly but never found anything worthwhile. One day, after the wall came down, the guard ran into the little old man.

"Look, I just know you were smuggling something all those years but I could never prove it," said the guard. "Tell me what it was."

The little old man chuckled, "Bicycles."

source: http://www.jokebuddha.com/Smuggling#ixzz5QQf9nUAQ'
Old 7 Sep 2018, 15:45 (Ref:3848710)   #112
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
One version goes:

'In the days of the Berlin Wall, there was a little old man who crossed the checkpoint every week, pushing his bicycle and carrying a heavy sack. The border guard, suspecting him of smuggling, always searched the sack thoroughly but never found anything worthwhile. One day, after the wall came down, the guard ran into the little old man.

"Look, I just know you were smuggling something all those years but I could never prove it," said the guard. "Tell me what it was."

The little old man chuckled, "Bicycles."

source: http://www.jokebuddha.com/Smuggling#ixzz5QQf9nUAQ'
Excellent! Thank you
(It also conveys the point I was trying to make earlier).
Old 7 Sep 2018, 15:46 (Ref:3848711)   #113
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Not heard that one before but certainly made me smile
Old 7 Sep 2018, 15:53 (Ref:3848713)   #114
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Excellent! Thank you
(It also conveys the point I was trying to make earlier).
That's why it came to mind.

Bags on the car:-
The use of the bags, what they are/aren't covering, what is/isn't in them. All of this has been analysed by many people at many levels without looking at the bigger picture maybe?
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:00 (Ref:3848716)   #115
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Who says it isn't frozen peas in those bags? They do wonders when my knee is sore after a run!
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:08 (Ref:3848719)   #116
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Who says it isn't frozen peas in those bags? They do wonders when my knee is sore after a run!
More likely to be Granita!

(although it always gives me brain-freeze)
Old 7 Sep 2018, 16:35 (Ref:3848725)   #117
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with others, it's distraction pure and simple. In 30 years time we'll all be laughing about the year Ferrari ran a 4 litre V12.
Old 9 Sep 2018, 00:05 (Ref:3848945)   #118
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Well, hopefully this kerfuffle will die down now the FIA has told Ferrari to stop using the bags.
Old 9 Sep 2018, 09:05 (Ref:3849005)   #119
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Well, hopefully this kerfuffle will die down now the FIA has told Ferrari to stop using the bags.

I hope Ferrari find something else to put the dry ice bags on, just too good an opportunity!
Old 9 Sep 2018, 09:07 (Ref:3849006)   #120
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
They'll just put a cover over the steering wheel and have the drivers pretend to do things under the cover. Continue the charade!
Old 9 Sep 2018, 09:46 (Ref:3849010)   #121
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
They'll just put a cover over the steering wheel and have the drivers pretend to do things under the cover. Continue the charade!
When the car is on the grid next, have a crew member stand right next to the cockpit moving to block the view of cameras!
Old 9 Sep 2018, 17:53 (Ref:3849052)   #122
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by greentrumpet View Post
I agree with others, it's distraction pure and simple. In 30 years time we'll all be laughing about the year Ferrari ran a 4 litre V12.
You think they only did that for one year?
Old 9 Sep 2018, 21:16 (Ref:3849078)   #123
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Interesting remarks from M. Todt: https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13...lowed-about-f1
Old 9 Sep 2018, 21:28 (Ref:3849083)   #124
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You think they only did that for one year?
Sorry, having seen it the first time round I thought it'd work again. Glad I'm not the only person old enough to remember when it was innovative!

Ah Viva, they were fun to drive.

Last edited by greentrumpet; 9 Sep 2018 at 21:29. Reason: saw summat
Old 10 Sep 2018, 00:21 (Ref:3849119)   #125
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Sounds like Mr Todt trying to pave a road for Ferrari which they don't necessarily wish to travel.