Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Dec 2006, 10:31 (Ref:1802122)   #26
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Randy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Wooshy
while also helping with package to help fit everything in between the wheels
fitting in another 4 cylindersand a gearbox capable of coping with sillyNm of torque will certainly have something to do with it.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 06:12 (Ref:1805802)   #27
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but why wouldn't Audi have gone with a W12 engine arragement? I now know why.

Firstly, the W12 engine is unproven as far as a diesel application, and secondy(and why it probably can't succed as a diesel) is that the W12 has such narrow connecting rods. On the VW/Audi VR6, the rods are 20mm(.79 in) thick. On the W12(so a normal V12 type crank can be used), the rods are 13mm(.51 in) thick due to the short crank pins.

A W12 engine would've meant a wheelbase slighty longer that ofthe R8, and more of the engine/gearbox mass near the center of the car(the main reason for the long wheelbase of the R10 due to it's engine weight), but it wouldn't last in a race for too long.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 09:28 (Ref:1805883)   #28
Randy
Rookie

United Kingdom
Henley on Thames
Randy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
I don't know why I didn't think of this before, but why wouldn't Audi have gone with a W12 engine arragement? I now know why.

Firstly, the W12 engine is unproven as far as a diesel application, and secondy(and why it probably can't succed as a diesel) is that the W12 has such narrow connecting rods. On the VW/Audi VR6, the rods are 20mm(.79 in) thick. On the W12(so a normal V12 type crank can be used), the rods are 13mm(.51 in) thick due to the short crank pins.

A W12 engine would've meant a wheelbase slighty longer that ofthe R8, and more of the engine/gearbox mass near the center of the car(the main reason for the long wheelbase of the R10 due to it's engine weight), but it wouldn't last in a race for too long.
I doubt a W configuration does the CofG any favours which is probably why it wasn't chosen, along with complexity.
Old 5 Jan 2007, 05:41 (Ref:1806803)   #29
flavorPacket
Rookie

United States
Ann Arbor, MI
flavorPacket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I doubt a W configuration does the CofG any favours which is probably why it wasn't chosen, along with complexity.
indeed, it's a cooling nightmare and would also increase the roll inertia of the car.

--Claude Rouelle
Old 10 Jan 2007, 20:46 (Ref:1811747)   #30
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
While catching up on some reading over Christmas (the car is still in the garage ) I came across a letter to MotorSport from Peter Felder (p28 vol LXXXIII Jan 2007). It refers to the 1974 Interseries 917-20 (sic? 30?) and its adjustable wheelbase! How did this work?

http://www.racingsportscars.com

For more pictures see p203 in Porsche 917 The Heroes, the Victories, the Myth.* This book refers to the car having "served for wheelbase tests". It won four times that year.

*More reading to catch up on...
Today I received a copy of Porsche 917, The Winning formula by Peter Morgan. At page 183 & 184:

Quote:
The first opportunity was at Paul Ricard, on the beautiful Mediterranean coastline near Bandol. Flegl and his engineers had cut their 917/10 test car in half, just behind the cockpit. The plan was that they could insert additional side-pieces of different lengths, so giving different wheelbase comparisons on the same car. As well as the standard 2,316 mm, they made enough parts to try 2,400 mm, 2,500 mm and 2,600 mm wheelbases. It wasn't as simple as just bolting and unbolting the tubes however and a large number of extra body panels, pipes, shifting levers, cables and so on were needed to cater for different lengths in the engine compartment. "When we realised it took one working day to modify the car, we knew it would take forever to test all. We just decided to go for the 2.5. I'm sure the 2.6 would have been even better but we were so happy with the results of the 2.5."
BTW Is Porsche 917 The Heroes, the Victories, the Myth a good book?