Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 11 Dec 2007, 13:38 (Ref:2086505)   #1
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
MSA issues behaviour warning to motor sport

From an MSA Press Release

The Motor Sports Association, governing body of UK motor sport, has issued a stern warning to everyone involved in the sport, that unacceptable behaviour will not be tolerated at any level or in any situation.

A recent judgement in the Royal Courts of Justice following an incident at Warden Law kart circuit clearly upheld the rights of landowners reasonably to ban persons from their premises for reasons of unacceptable behaviour. This applies equally to both competitors and non-competitors, irrespective of the status of the activity taking place at the time.

The MSA wholly supports this judgement and wishes to make it clear to the entire motor sport community that personal misbehaviour both on and off the track will not be tolerated.

Colin Hilton, Chief Executive of the Motor Sports Association said:
"Three years ago, we introduced regulations to ensure that parents or guardians of young drivers under 18 years of age had to 'sign on' at each event, to create a 'contract' between them and the authorities and enabling disciplinary proceedings to be brought if necessary. The measure has been very successful, significantly reducing the number of these offences seen at events involving young drivers.

"There has, however, been a sharp rise in the number of cases of violence or threatened violence of serious abuse in recent years and we absolutely have to stamp it out. We fully support landowners and venue operators who ban people for unacceptable behaviour. MSA officials dealing with unacceptable behaviour both on and off the track have the full support of the MSA. The sternest possible line will be taken against competitors who are brought before the National Court for any reason of unacceptable behaviour."

Dennis Carter, Chairman of the Association of Motor Racing Circuit Owners said:
"The Association applauds and will strenuously support the governing body and any individual circuit owner in taking appropriate action to stamp out any form of violent behaviour from within motor sport."

Release MSA07-070: 11 December 2007

No regulatory value: for information purposes only

Issued on behalf of the Motor Sports Association
For further information please contact Ben Taylor
Telephone: +44 (0)7866 449940 E-mail: msapressoffice@bentaylor.uk.com
Old 11 Dec 2007, 14:06 (Ref:2086530)   #2
Novice
Racer

England
Rochester, Kent
Novice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will this also apply to TOCA drivers as they seem to be exempt from every other rule!
Old 11 Dec 2007, 14:55 (Ref:2086558)   #3
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO the parents are worse than the kids
Old 11 Dec 2007, 16:14 (Ref:2086608)   #4
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
Oh, heck, yeah. I used to do a lot of karting events while they were bringing the Canadian program into FIA spec, and you've said a mouthful there. The deal at the first FIA Canadian championship was $20 for each blend line violation and you would have thought every $20 was gonna cause the fall of western civilization. This from the parents with the painted-up truck and matching transporter, EZUps and driving suits in team colours, the whole nine yards. I noticed that some parents made the kid pay the $20, and those were the ones who did it once and never again.

I also noticed that the ones with the parent-zillas were the ones we were forever catching doing punt jobs on other competitors, jumping standing starts, ignoring yellows, etc. They'd learned well. Luckily I've noticed not too many of those have shown up in the pro ladder system.

keke

PS. What happened at the kart track? Are we talking fistfights, sabotage, what?
Old 11 Dec 2007, 16:57 (Ref:2086630)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Cadet Kart's parents again giving everyone a bad name. Does anyone remember that incident in the MSA bullitens a few years ago, I nearly split my sides laughing. Cadet Karts again and an irrate parent who thought his kid was being short changed on the engine side so apparently he got the engine and hurled it through the engine suppliers caravan window!
Old 11 Dec 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2086730)   #6
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This warning should have been implemented at this years Renault World Series meeting at Donington. Spectators gave us no end of problems all weekend. Security was no-existant. People drunk at 9.00 in the morning! And when you asked them to move, all you got was a torrent of abuse.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 19:52 (Ref:2086733)   #7
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA
This warning should have been implemented at this years Renault World Series meeting at Donington. Spectators gave us no end of problems all weekend. Security was no-existant. People drunk at 9.00 in the morning! And when you asked them to move, all you got was a torrent of abuse.
Well hopefully with World Series being at Silverstone next year,we shouldn`t get those problems of this years meeting.
Old 11 Dec 2007, 21:30 (Ref:2086791)   #8
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
+1
Old 13 Dec 2007, 15:06 (Ref:2088008)   #9
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
parent-zillas
LOL
I believe that parent-zillas are now very active at children's football matches, even to the point of thumping the ref.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:23 (Ref:2088084)   #10
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel
Well hopefully with World Series being at Silverstone next year,we shouldn`t get those problems of this years meeting.
What planet are you on?
Are you actually saying that by moving the event a few miles south that the problem wouldn't happen?
Old 13 Dec 2007, 17:30 (Ref:2088088)   #11
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by diz
What planet are you on?
Are you actually saying that by moving the event a few miles south that the problem wouldn't happen?

Diz,
we all live in hope,it can`t get any worse.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2088154)   #12
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is no laughing matter, and for once I applaud the MSA in issuing this. The behaviour of some parents at kart events is absolutely incredible. Nobody should be exposed to violence or threatening behaviour at a kart race meeting [or any race meeting for that matter] and in the event they are the culprit and/or their kid should have their license taken from them for a minimum of 12 months.
Old 13 Dec 2007, 20:34 (Ref:2088184)   #13
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I totally agree Davyboy and I'm delighted that the MSA has made this announcement. This is a sport and any form of abusive behaviour has absolutely no place in it.
As an aside, I always find the contrast between the player's attitudes to the referee in Football and Rugby very interesting, to say the least!
Old 13 Dec 2007, 22:47 (Ref:2088268)   #14
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This has been happening at all sorts of sporting events over the years, with mothers running on the football field to defend their little angels, to the punch ups with the parents of schoolboy motocross riders. It hasn't just suddenly happened.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 14 Dec 2007, 09:32 (Ref:2088572)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER
This has been happening at all sorts of sporting events over the years, with mothers running on the football field to defend their little angels, to the punch ups with the parents of schoolboy motocross riders. It hasn't just suddenly happened.
You're right Gordon, but its gotten really bad in the last few years in karting. I started racing in junior karting in 1983 and now and again 'words would be had' between parents, but it was very rare. I never saw any threatening behaviour or violence.
In the last 5-10 years what I've seen at some tracks beggars belief. Its the type of behaviour you'd see at a rough nightclub. I'm not sure whether its a difference between this current generation of parents and their parents or what, but its definitely a lot worse. I know one parent who's decided to stop karting because the off-track antics between parents is too dangerous. Maybe bouncers need to be employed by the clubs at tracks or something if this MSA position doesn't work... I'm being serious.
Old 14 Dec 2007, 10:40 (Ref:2088639)   #16
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A driver called Lee Crawford was the subject of the ban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [url
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/news/Teen-karting-ace-fails-to.3442726.jp[/url] ]
Karting North East – supported by Warden Law Kart Club – claimed Lee had been banned from racing after an alleged confrontation with another competitor on October 7.

. . .

Karting North East's barrister, Bruce Gardiner, argued the sole purpose of the ban was to exclude someone who, he claimed, had: "behaved in a way which was contrary to good order and good conduct".

Refusing to extend the injunction (which had temporarily lifted the ban), Judge Hawkesworth said: "On the abundant evidence that is before me, the purpose of the ban was to prevent incidents such as the one that occurred on October 7.

"I consider that the application should be dismissed and the injunction discharged," he concluded.

Regards

Jim

Last edited by JimW; 14 Dec 2007 at 10:42.
Old 15 Dec 2007, 18:53 (Ref:2089636)   #17
badgeman62
Racer

United Kingdom
chester
badgeman62 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe a minimum 5 year ban should be imposed.this will give the parent time to grow up into an adult.it just goes to show,no matter what sport you follow there is always some scum that finds it,s way in.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 08:43 (Ref:2089822)   #18
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Why are they always called Lee? :-)
Old 18 Dec 2007, 11:42 (Ref:2091190)   #19
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novice
Will this also apply to TOCA drivers as they seem to be exempt from every other rule!
Even Australia hasn't examples and problems with this - although when one of the key Marshal's was stopped and breath tested on the way to a National V8 Race a few years ago - and failed the breath test (it duely made the papers in that city the following day) BUT was then allowed to continue to the race track AND take up his duties without question - you have to ask yourself, is there one rule for some, another rule for everyone else?

Having been in situations where both officials AND competitors were not in the best of conditions of a race Sunday - well lets just say you wouldn't light a match near them - you have to wonder about rules and their enforcement sometimes!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 23:57 (Ref:2092368)   #20
jjordan
Racer

jjordan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if you have a name for it on your side of the pond, but around here we call it the Jeff Gordon complex. When childrens sport stopped being for the pure enjoyment of doing or for the physical activity to the time when the parents started grooming their kids to be their retirement program. They all have visions that their kid will grow up, turn pro, sign a big contract and take care of Mum and Dad for the rest of their lives. The odds just aren't with them, it's sad really and have seen so many families fall apart when they realised that junior wasn't going to make it in the pros (doesn't really matter what the "sport" is. We have grown up playing hockey and kart racing, same thing happens in both). In fact have seen the same scenario played out in theater, math competitions, swimming, volleyball,etc., etc. Kids don't have time to just be kids anymore, they all have extra tutors, private coaches, nutritionists, physical therapists. What passes for sportmanship these days almost turns your stomach.
Old 20 Dec 2007, 02:47 (Ref:2092422)   #21
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And, as they get into their twenties, you can add psychologists and shrinks to that list of attending professionals to the 'kid'!
Old 22 Dec 2007, 19:32 (Ref:2093886)   #22
tator2001uk
Racer

United Kingdom
Cheshire
tator2001uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Cadet Kart's parents again giving everyone a bad name. Does anyone remember that incident in the MSA bullitens a few years ago, I nearly split my sides laughing. Cadet Karts again and an irrate parent who thought his kid was being short changed on the engine side so apparently he got the engine and hurled it through the engine suppliers caravan window!"
I SAW MY DAD DO THIS BACK AT SILVERSTONE GP in the early 1990s haha we were ripped off!!!

I recently got protested at our local championship round and while they were making the decision i was threatened, abused and shouted at by 4/5 team members of the team i was solely against.....i dont think people who run on old tyres/kow budgets are liked by those in big trucks and awnings !!!!
WELL DONE MSA hope people are watcing for it though