Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 23 Oct 2023, 16:02 (Ref:4182650)   #1
Plantagenet
Rookie

United Kingdom
Plantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPlantagenet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Spa 6-hour driver options / advice

Hi all - I'm a regular on the forum and have raced 6 seasons now, in both GTs (modified midget, MGCC) and single-seaters (formula ford, HSCC). I'm mid-pack in the FF (which is competitive) so neither stonkingly fast nor slow.

I'd really like to get into doing some endurance racing and have a particular desire to do the 6-hrs at Spa which I know a few on this forum have raced at. My main issue here is that I don't have an eligible car and nor do I really want to buy one on my own at this point (read I can't really afford one) .

So, I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to how I could get to race at Spa. Are people aware of any 'arrive and drive' options, or ways to buy into a drive for a few events that would include Spa. I'm based near Cambridge and could be open to sharing a car (including shared ownership) so please reach out if you have a suitable hole in your driver line up for 2024.

Happy for any choice of car - you can probably deduce from earlier comments that i don't have my heart or wallet set for a GT40 seat.

Thanks in advance for any advice, James
Old 23 Oct 2023, 19:40 (Ref:4182673)   #2
Geraint Owen
Racer

Geraint Owen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My great mate Charles Knill Jones and I found ourselves having the same thoughts about 8 years ago. We went halves on TR4... a better bet than an MGB we figured.

Brilliant fun. Finished 2 out of 3 Spa 6hr. Engine that came in the car went wrong a week before the first attempt. Justin Maeers lent us an engine he had built out of rubbish 15 years earlier that had sat on the shelf unused. The con rods were different lengths.... but we pounded round steadily and finished

Second attempt was less sucessful when the

oil pump drive packed up after 90 minutes.

Last time we had a steady run with an odd oil pressure problem. Started 95th. Finished 33rd.

We did two drivers with 3 stops so we each get two goes at the wheel.

Car now has a brand spankers TR Enterprise engine and is ready for another run as and when. I have recently bought my mate's half but am not sure what the plans are really

I can highly recommend going halves with someone. You are going to share the driving so why not share everything. We even set up a bank account to run all the costs through!!!