Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Nov 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2066598)   #51
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by F.O.F.
if my facts are not quite facts feel free to correct me,did hugus drive during the race?
This is the controversy. Hugus was nominated reserve and therefore entitled to drive. However, if he did so, then one of the "other" drivers was not allowed to return to the car.

Story is that around 4am Masten Gregory had had it, he was exhausted and couldn't go another lap, so pulled in for Rindt to take over, but Rindt was AWOL (he wasn't due out for a couple of hours). So Hugus got in to finish Gregory's stint.

Now, if this happened and the ACO had noticed it, Gregory wouldn't have been allowed back in the car...but after he recovered he was.

There are no sources for this other than Hugus himself, although he was apparently not the type to boast about this sort of thing (and he only told a select few), and Chinetti who arranged it all. The ACO never noticed and the journos probably were all asleep or brahms or something. There's no film AFAIK and it was all in the wee small hours.

So, you pays your money, you takes your choice...
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:04 (Ref:2066789)   #52
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
That's one that springs to mind alright. I just had visions of some 1970s journeymen swapping teams a lot more frequently, but maybe that wasn't the case. More than half the people in the championship back then would show up for races here and there but never do a complete season.
Can I make a plea that people research their questions and ask them clearly. Messing around with half-baked answers like this is a waste of everybody's time.

By any measure that answer is wrong. In 1958 Maurice Trintignant drove a Cooper-Climax for Rob Walker then a Maserati for Scuderia Centro-Sud, then a works BRM and then a Walker Cooper-Climax again. One more change, two more teams and two more cars than the answer given.

Does this make me an anorak or simply a pedant ? ( but not a Norris McWhirter as I looked it up).

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:19 (Ref:2066806)   #53
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Kart
I am crap at thinking up questions like this but...

Who was the first person to drive a Jordan F1 car?
betrand gachot?
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2066813)   #54
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
PK Kart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, was John Watson, correctly answered by Graz on page 3.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2066815)   #55
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
i thought he was talking about another question!!!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:31 (Ref:2066816)   #56
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Type
Can I make a plea that people research their questions and ask them clearly. Messing around with half-baked answers like this is a waste of everybody's time.

By any measure that answer is wrong. In 1958 Maurice Trintignant drove a Cooper-Climax for Rob Walker then a Maserati for Scuderia Centro-Sud, then a works BRM and then a Walker Cooper-Climax again. One more change, two more teams and two more cars than the answer given.

Does this make me an anorak or simply a pedant ? ( but not a Norris McWhirter as I looked it up).
Probably both, but neither are to be ashamed of.
Not while at home alone in front of the pc anyway. Just don't try it in my local!
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:33 (Ref:2066817)   #57
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I did say that I didn't know the answer to this question when I asked it... that was actually the reason for my asking it (!)

Quote:
In 1958 Maurice Trintignant drove a Cooper-Climax for Rob Walker then a Maserati for Scuderia Centro-Sud, then a works BRM and then a Walker Cooper-Climax again.
Thanks for researching this and thanks for the answer.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:33 (Ref:2066818)   #58
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcckid
i thought he was talking about another question!!!
'fraid not.
Wattie conducted the first shakedown of the 191 at Silverstone.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:39 (Ref:2066821)   #59
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
'fraid not.
Wattie conducted the first shakedown of the 191 at Silverstone.
Here he is.

http://67.15.62.73/previews/tnw01no2002.jpg
Old 13 Nov 2007, 20:57 (Ref:2066842)   #60
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
not being rude but wasn't he getting a bit old to drive formula 1 cars-he stopped in the 80's-yes i know people race when there older but was he expecting another f1 drive or just doing jordan a favour?
Old 13 Nov 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2066868)   #61
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
I think him and EJ were mates and he was doing a favour, also was good pr with Watson being from Northern Ireland. Kind of promoted the Irishness of the team.
Old 13 Nov 2007, 21:16 (Ref:2066869)   #62
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcckid
not being rude but wasn't he getting a bit old to drive formula 1 cars-he stopped in the 80's-yes i know people race when there older but was he expecting another f1 drive or just doing jordan a favour?
It could have been to prove he could still do it? Publicity reasons? Doing a favour, as you suggested or it could be something to do with John Watson and Eddie Jordan both being Irish?
Old 13 Nov 2007, 23:51 (Ref:2066964)   #63
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Ok, who was the last driver to race gp's in three different decades?
Was my answer correct?
Old 13 Nov 2007, 23:53 (Ref:2066966)   #64
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
I have a tricky one for you guys.............
Name the four former BTCC Champions who competed in British F3000/F2?
Old 14 Nov 2007, 00:05 (Ref:2066977)   #65
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundersports
I have a tricky one for you guys.............
Name the four former BTCC Champions who competed in British F3000/F2?
Alain Menu, Rickard Rydell, Yvan Muller and ...who else? Anthony Reid?
Old 14 Nov 2007, 09:02 (Ref:2067131)   #66
PK Kart
Racer

England
Sussex
Quote:
Was my answer correct?
Yes, sorry. debut 89 brazilian gp - last race 2000 Malaysian gp.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 09:40 (Ref:2067150)   #67
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
It could have been to prove he could still do it? Publicity reasons? Doing a favour, as you suggested or it could be something to do with John Watson and Eddie Jordan both being Irish?
It was primarily symbolic. Eddie Jordan wanted Ireland's most successful racing driver at that time to be the first person to test Eddie's first Grand Prix car, the Jordan 911 [as it was originally known before Porsche had something to say about it]. Wattie may have been out of the saddle a few years, but he was still capable of peddling a Grand Prix car quickly in the early 1990s - he was 44 at the time.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 11:59 (Ref:2067226)   #68
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Alain Menu, Rickard Rydell, Yvan Muller and ...who else? Anthony Reid?
3 out of 4 correct........
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:20 (Ref:2067240)   #69
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
3 out of 4 correct........
Aiello? I know he did F3000 in Italy but not sure about the UK?
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:36 (Ref:2067249)   #70
davyboy
Veteran

Did Nigel Smith win the BTCC Independents title one year ? AFAIK he raced in British F3000 at some point.
Old 14 Nov 2007, 12:56 (Ref:2067274)   #71
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Quote:
Did Nigel Smith win the BTCC Independents title one year ? AFAIK he raced in British F3000 at some point.
Not Aiello.
Nigel Smith did indeed compete in British F3000, I'm looking for the 4 overall champions................Clue it was a one off race for him at Donington
Old 14 Nov 2007, 13:09 (Ref:2067288)   #72
davyboy
Veteran

Tim Harvey
Old 14 Nov 2007, 13:11 (Ref:2067290)   #73
davyboy
Veteran

Chris Hodgetts also had a one off race in Thruxton in 1990... looks like there were 5 Former BTCC champions to compete in British F3000/F2
Old 16 Nov 2007, 13:24 (Ref:2068841)   #74
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Quote:
Tim Harvey
Correct
Old 16 Nov 2007, 13:25 (Ref:2068842)   #75
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
Quote:
Chris Hodgetts also had a one off race in Thruxton in 1990... looks like there were 5 Former BTCC champions to compete in British F3000/F2
Thats a new one I shall investigate my records......................