Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:34 (Ref:1157334)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver Gone

Sad but not unexpected. Story Here

Ted
Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:37 (Ref:1157337)   #2
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a shame for those from Vancouver, but I never thought much of the (new) track. But at least Canada still has three races for next year.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 00:32 (Ref:1157580)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's a shame. There was an article recently linked on hear (think it was the TO star) where the writing insisted the Vancouver race would happen. Reportedly it was a mere $2M that killed the event. As f1manoz said, the track itself stunk, but the series needed the success the Vancouver location brought.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 01:26 (Ref:1157598)   #4
StickShift
Veteran

StickShift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not a surprise. No one is going to invest in an event that only had two more years tops.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1157728)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Statement released by ChampCar:
Quote:
The Molson Indy Vancouver has always been a popular stop on our race schedule. We love the Vancouver market and very much appreciate the wonderful fan support we received.

However, there were a variety of factors that contributed to the ultimate decision not to add the event to our 2005 calendar. Many elements must be considered when determining the long-term viability of a new or established event and the economics must work for all parties involved. Clearly, planning for the Olympics has had an impact on our situation, but we certainly understand as the Olympics is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for a city.

We will continue to work with Molson Sports and Entertainment on our tremendously successful Molson Indy Toronto event. We wish the city of Vancouver well in its Olympic endeavor and we hope future circumstances will again allow us to bring Champ Car racing back to the streets of Vancouver.
They mention Molson in regard to Toronto, but not Montreal or Edmonton.
Why would that be?
IS Molson involved in the Edmonton race? Does anybody know?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1157749)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
On WindTunnel, KK said that ChampCar had nothing to do with the Vancouver cancellation, that it was a joint decision between Molson and the City.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1158637)   #7
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
TSN adds to the story:
Quote:
Molson Sports and Entertainment has pulled the plug on the Champ Car race after 15 years.

Part of the track used for the race will be developed for the athletes' village for the 2010 Winter Games. With the course disappearing within the next two years, and no new location on the horizon, Molson officials said Thursday they couldn't find enough corporate sponsorship to make the event viable.

Joe Chrenlich, a Champ Car executive vice-president, said not having a track wasn't the only stumbling block. The 2010 Olympics have resulted in many corporations rethinking their sponsorship priorities.

It was estimated that less than $2 million was needed from the local business community to keep the Vancouver race alive for this year. Talks were held with the Insurance Corp. of British Columbia and B.C. Lotteries.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 04:43 (Ref:1158960)   #8
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So is the Edmonton race a sure thing? As much as I will miss the Vancouver race (only ChampCar race I've ever attended) having moved to Alberta for work will put me closer to the race in Edmonton, and the course at the airport will be very cool. So not all negative.
Old 20 Nov 2004, 09:47 (Ref:1159070)   #9
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will miss the layout of Vancouver, i really enjoyed watching the Champcars around that track, going around the 160mph right hander to the once was 145mph left hander that lead to the start/finish line.

Farewell Vancouver
Old 21 Nov 2004, 02:57 (Ref:1159679)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's too bad no one stepped in. It would be cool to see HSBC step in. They stepped in and became title sponsor to Vancouver's annual fireworks competition.

I thought I recall that Molson actually lose money last year on the Vancouver race. They lost 1-2M cdn??

This year, Molstar, actually, tried to get the provincial insurance company and lottery company to sponsor the race. I agree it's silly for the insurance company to sponsor a car race. The lottery company sounded somewhat more plausible. Sighhh... Who would have thought last year would have been the last year.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 09:15 (Ref:1162560)   #11
MisterX
Rookie

MisterX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver 2004 was the first race I attended (and thanks to folks on this forum for hints on accommodation). Going to Champ Cars is aa vast improvement on trekking round the F1 circuit in Europe, as I did the year before. I have to follow Justin wherever he is racing. It was 42C (ie damn hot) most of the time, but I'll be sorry not to go in 2005.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1162889)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
MisterX where do you live? Since Edmonton is the replacement race maybe you should consider going to it instead? It's also only a few hours of driving away from some of the most fantasic scenery on the planet.
Old 24 Nov 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1162954)   #13
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since the Vancouver Olympics isn't until 2010, wouldn't you still want exposure between now and then? Or do companies have to start saving now to make sure they have enough money to pay for the sponsorship fees in 2010??
Old 26 Nov 2004, 14:24 (Ref:1164888)   #14
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vancouver was okay, but nothing big.
I'll miss it, but Champ Car is obviously moving on to bigger and better things.