Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Feb 2006, 10:27 (Ref:1524159)   #1
Grimace
Veteran

Grimace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VE chassis debacle?

Whats all this stuff about the new VE chassis/floorpan being too long for the series rules as it is, and Ford not allowing it,
Larry said the rules would need to be changed to allow VE to compete?
Is it all AA scaremongering or not?
Who has the truth?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 10:38 (Ref:1524168)   #2
V8RYAN
Racer

Australia
SANDOWN
V8RYAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
aparantly the BA was too big as well but they changed the rules or simply just let them use it.

i cant see it being an issue, if they dont allow a new model commodore OR falcon compete because of something silly like that then the whole series will die.

we arent going to want to see VZ commodores racing in the top series in 5 or 10 years time.

the VE will get racing in 2007
Old 16 Feb 2006, 11:00 (Ref:1524189)   #3
dirttrack
Racer

dirttrack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fords turn finally to make it as hard as possible for the General , about itme too. They are going to fight this all the way.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 12:07 (Ref:1524234)   #4
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford & Holden will do everything they can to protect their interests.. and to do so, they will both allow the VE Commodore to run in the series. The rules will be altered to suit, and so they should be, we should see current model cars racing on our circuits... its not commercial viable for a manufacturer not to be able to run their current car. Rules get changed all the time, I can hear it now , Ford fans will be crying blue murder that Holden has been given special dispensation to run their cars.... and your entitled to your opinions...

In the end , we all want to see racing, Ford V Holden.. thats how it will be, and besides a new model gives such a fresh look to the series.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1524412)   #5
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Once they sign off on the control chassis things should be simpler as teams will only have to change the sheet metal and possibly engine. Hopefully that will include Commodore, Falcon, 380 and Aurion.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:47 (Ref:1524536)   #6
SRabbit
Veteran

SRabbit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ford arent trying to do Holden over, they have their own issue with the control floorpan.
Ford want the Falcon racecar to built on the Falcon road platform and wont sign off on the control chassis because of this.
Unfortunately Holden get caught in the crossfire because as mentioned, their road platform for the VE does not translate into a Blueprint-compatible racecar and need the control chassis to make the regs.
Dont get me wrong im sure Ford will enjoy the fact that Holden are sweating on them saying yes, but its for other reasons they will not play the game.

Where that leaves Holden? who knows?
Old 16 Feb 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1524540)   #7
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think i heard that the control chassis prototype has been modified and will be displayed again for discussion.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1524619)   #8
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
Once they sign off on the control chassis things should be simpler as teams will only have to change the sheet metal and possibly engine. Hopefully that will include Commodore, Falcon, 380 and Aurion.
Yeah that would be much better wouldn't it. The less that differentiates the cars the better.
Old 16 Feb 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1524656)   #9
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why not just simplify it and have the likes of Ford, Holden, Nissan, Toyota & Mitsubishi just manufacture a single large road car between them, and rebadge it as their own... sorta like whitegoods... that way the Supercar rules won't need exemptions for the race chassis....

Or else, whack some sheetmetal and a badge on a heap of Formula Vees? The noise mightn't be quite right, but the partiry's pretty much there...

Ah stuff it, put 'em all in those other little tiddler thingies, the Aussie Races or whatever they are.

What a joke.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 01:41 (Ref:1524735)   #10
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8RYAN
aparantly the BA was too big as well but they changed the rules or simply just let them use it.
So what you are suggesting there Bryan is that AU was also "too big" because AU and BA are the same car physically (not mechanically) with different cosmetics. Ditto BF. It's a very slightly cosmetically reworked BA.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 03:08 (Ref:1524761)   #11
V8RYAN
Racer

Australia
SANDOWN
V8RYAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony
So what you are suggesting there Bryan is that AU was also "too big" because AU and BA are the same car physically (not mechanically) with different cosmetics. Ditto BF. It's a very slightly cosmetically reworked BA.

no not at all!

i was reading AA and it had a story about the VE chassis and all the so called problems and blah blah blah and it said that when the BA came out, it was 6mm too big.

if the BA uses the same chassis as the AU then maybe that was 6mm too big as well, or ... AA is full of $#it !!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 03:23 (Ref:1524762)   #12
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Yeah that would be much better wouldn't it. The less that differentiates the cars the better.
For this type of racing series yes. If some sections of the public want to see different types of cars racing each other then other categories may be more to their preference.

The category is basically a silhouette formula at the moment so I think VESA should just formally make it happen.

Last edited by dsg; 17 Feb 2006 at 03:24. Reason: spelling
Old 17 Feb 2006, 03:31 (Ref:1524765)   #13
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry
Why not just simplify it and have the likes of Ford, Holden, Nissan, Toyota & Mitsubishi just manufacture a single large road car between them, and rebadge it as their own... sorta like whitegoods... that way the Supercar rules won't need exemptions for the race chassis.....
I think my way is easier.

Quote:
Or else, whack some sheetmetal and a badge on a heap of Formula Vees? The noise mightn't be quite right, but the partiry's pretty much there....
That could work and may reduce costs but I prefer the sound of V8s.

Quote:
Ah stuff it, put 'em all in those other little tiddler thingies, the Aussie Races or whatever they are..
Maybe they could become the feeder series.

Quote:
What a joke.
You provide the material I'll try to keep 'em coming.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 04:26 (Ref:1524780)   #14
B!tchie Renault
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
B!tchie Renault should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am not 100% certain, but when the BA was introduced the Ford teams could not upgrade their AU Falcons to BA's and had to build new chassis. Mainly because the floorpan of the BA differed to the AU. Whether the wheelbase was different between the AU & BA I do not know off hand.

The other thing they do not stipulate is how much longer the VE wheelbase is compared to the 'Blueprint' specification.

Remember also that the new Hollinger gearbox was deemed illegal because the dimensions did not comply with the rules. They created the rules by measuring off the old gearbox.

While I do not agree with the TEGA control chassis idea, I do think that the chassis should more resemble the road going version with regards seating position etc. and the rollcage should be built inside a factory built shell rather than the shell built around the rollcage/floorpan.

Sorry, my sermon has ended.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 04:30 (Ref:1524781)   #15
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
I think my way is easier.

That could work and may reduce costs but I prefer the sound of V8s.

Maybe they could become the feeder series.

You provide the material I'll try to keep 'em coming.
I love Fridays, it brings out the best in all of us.
Old 17 Feb 2006, 05:28 (Ref:1524784)   #16
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
Why is it better?

If two different cars are being raced, it's obvious the cars will be different. If less differences between the cars is what you want, why don't you propose a control manufacturer, then everything will be equal!!
Old 17 Feb 2006, 05:32 (Ref:1524785)   #17
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really, as long as half the field has a Holden badge on the nose and the tail and the other half has a Ford badge, they all have a stone age V8 under the bonnet and all of them vaguely resemble a current sedan then what does it matter?
Old 20 Feb 2006, 00:19 (Ref:1526613)   #18
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer69
Why is it better?

If two different cars are being raced, it's obvious the cars will be different. If less differences between the cars is what you want, why don't you propose a control manufacturer, then everything will be equal!!
It was sarcasm. I am a fan of a more production car based championship - quite the opposite!
Old 20 Feb 2006, 05:55 (Ref:1526693)   #19
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But unfortuantely we know the BA with the BOSS is not very fast compared to a VZ, so parity is needed.

Unless production rules will allow local homologation with rules encouraging the production of turbocharged 6L or 7L AWD Falcons and Commodores. Now that could provide some entertainment... excellent.
Old 20 Feb 2006, 23:55 (Ref:1527528)   #20
cav
Racer

cav should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having the same chassis with a different body has worked exceptionally well in Aussie Racing so maybe a control chassis is the way to go in V8's although really that is what they have now. If there was a control chassis then all different makers could be involved which would be pretty interesting
Old 21 Feb 2006, 00:03 (Ref:1527531)   #21
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
I don't think TEGA realises how many fans a control chassis would cost them. I think its an insult to suggest that no one will care, as long as they look different on the outside. They're already heading down that path and people are already disenchanted with it.

Maybe I give average fans too much credit.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 02:51 (Ref:1527599)   #22
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 6mm difference in BA wheelbase does ring a bell - however it is entirely due to the new IRS, so when the whole lot is ripped out to put a live axle in they could easily go back to the original wheelbase. The rear floorpan was different from the AU but again it is completely reworked for the race cars so any differences are inconsequential.
Old 21 Feb 2006, 06:53 (Ref:1527673)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by cav
Having the same chassis with a different body has worked exceptionally well in Aussie Racing so maybe a control chassis is the way to go in V8's although really that is what they have now. If there was a control chassis then all different makers could be involved which would be pretty interesting
It's all about how you write the regulations. You don't need a control chassis to include other manufacturers.

It's going to the extreme trying to compare and Aussie Racer with a touring (or not to be if this gets up) car, especially as there is no Ford/Holden anything to do with an Aussie Racing Car.