Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:15 (Ref:667112)   #1
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kiesa at Minardi!

Quote:
The European Minardi Cosworth Formula One Team announces that, with immediate effect, its driver, Justin Wilson, is transferring to Jaguar Racing, and that his place in the Faenza squad will be taken by up-and-coming Danish star, Nicolas Kiesa.

This follows Wilson's impressive showing in yesterday's British Grand Prix at Silverstone, as well as a series of strong performances in this, his first season of Formula One competition, that have marked him out as a future star of the sport. It is also the third time in three successive years that European Minardi has helped to launch the F1 career of an aspiring young driver, as Wilson follows in the footsteps of Fernando Alonso (2001) and Mark Webber (2002).

Copenhagen-born Kiesa, 25, has trodden the normally accepted training route for front-line single-seater racing drivers, having started out in Danish, European and World Karting Championship events, before graduating to Formula Ford, the British and German Formula Three Championships, and most recently, the FIA F3000 International Championship. He has driven for the Den Bla Avis team this season, memorably winning the Monaco Grand Prix support race at the end of May, and was lying fifth in the Championship standings following last Saturday's Silverstone round, where he scored another point.

"It's a case of 'mixed feelings' when it comes to Justin's departure from European Minardi," comments Team Principal, Paul Stoddart. "We are obviously sad to lose him, but pleased, and proud, that he has been able to demonstrate his undoubted driving talent at Minardi. A move to Jaguar Racing gives him the opportunity to develop his talent further and, at the same time, benefits Minardi enormously, as it helps to assure the team's future in Formula One. Like Fernando and Mark before him, Justin is now clearly on his way. This also clearly illustrates one of the invaluable roles that the smaller, independent teams fulfil in this sport: they are able to give young drivers the opportunity to showcase their talent and establish themselves as Grand Prix stars of the future.

"Looking ahead, we welcome Nicolas to the team. He comes with impressive racing credentials, and all of us at European Minardi Cosworth look forward to working with him."
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:18 (Ref:667121)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Source? This must be quoted. With link would be ideal, then there is no need to lift the entire copywrited article. Perhaps the just the key points.

Anyway I presume it's off www.minardi.it
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:19 (Ref:667122)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
it is here is the link:

http://www.minardi.it/eng/press/dett...omunicato=1303
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:20 (Ref:667126)   #4
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kiesa was British Formula Ford champ in 99 and won some races in British F3 with a poor team. He should be good. He has a pretty creazy style of driving, not the smoothest but fine racing driver IMO.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:23 (Ref:667129)   #5
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yup, it was off the Minardi site, sorry. Kiesa has backing from Peugeot doesn't he? Bet Cosworth won't be happy about that if Pug logos appear on the Minardi.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:24 (Ref:667131)   #6
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would they give a ****?

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Jul 2003 at 13:29.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:28 (Ref:667137)   #7
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this the reward for his F3000 Monaco win?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:30 (Ref:667139)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
...not the smoothest...
Might not be ideal for modern F1.

However I agree he'll do well. The question is how much time/running will it take? And will he be allowed enough time/running.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:35 (Ref:667145)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He won't reeally get any testing this year, at least not before Hungary, thanks aprtly to the testing ban,a dn teh fact that Minardi have only done a bare minimum of testing all year. Beating Jos in some of the qualfying sessions will have to be his target, and hope Firman fuels up so they can outqualify him.

He's in the shop window now, and can show what he can do,even if he probably wouldn't have the fundign for a full season at Minraid next eyar, especially if Jos moves on with his portfolio.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:40 (Ref:667152)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So Pizzonia is finished, I presume.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:01 (Ref:667170)   #11
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"at the same time, benefits Minardi enormously, as it helps to assure the team's future in Formula One."

Do we take it from this that the cossies will be free for the rest of the year, as part of the deal?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:07 (Ref:667176)   #12
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Wilson's contract costs an awful lot less to buy out than the Cosworth V10s are costing Minardi. Not sure what they mean by assuring the teams future, so...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:667191)   #13
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nice, first danish F1 driver since Jan Magnussen.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:37 (Ref:667202)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I feel sorry for Pizzonia who gave a though time to Webber At Silverstone . He would have left at the end of the year anyways just wasnt cosistent enough.
It will be great to see where Justin ends up in his first race in a competitive car.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:32 (Ref:667266)   #15
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
According to Ceefaz he's the third Danish driver in F1- who was the first before Magnussen?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:34 (Ref:667268)   #16
thomasl
Rookie

thomasl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow

Finally another Dane in F1. I really hope this works out for Nicolas. He sure is talented - but the conditions are tough.
Now if only we could get Tom Kristensen in F1 too I would be one happy really happy Dane.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:37 (Ref:667271)   #17
thomasl
Rookie

thomasl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Danish driver

Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
According to Ceefaz he's the third Danish driver in F1- who was the first before Magnussen?
Tom Belsø did a few races(2 or 3) for Williams around '74.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:52 (Ref:667296)   #18
Francesca
Veteran

Ajman
Hampshire
Francesca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one F3 driver out and another one in! Shame about Pizzonia though.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:56 (Ref:667302)   #19
the_royksopp
Veteran

Denmark
Skørping, Denmark
the_royksopp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
YEAH!!! Like that!... Though, he could might aswell flop...

YEAH!!!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:36 (Ref:667350)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Re: First Danish driver

Quote:
Originally posted by thomasl
Tom Belsø did a few races(2 or 3) for Williams around '74.
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/drv-beltom.html
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:40 (Ref:667357)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has anybody thought that with Justin's starts to a grand prix he could end up in the lead by the 2nd lap ?

Think Martin Brundle mentioned yesterday there was the possibility of Wilson ending up at Jag, thought it was going to for 2004 but not the next GP!

But I feel sorry for Pizzonia, has he been demoted to a test/reserve driver position or has he got nothing to do with Jaguar at all anymore? I just felt the guy was getting there and would of been exceptional next year..
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:44 (Ref:667365)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Thanks Thomas. I guess I learn something everyday.

He could well do TouringLegend. I'd lvoe to see him fighting it out with the big 4 teams, even if only birefly. Points are defiantely possible for him at the end of the year.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:49 (Ref:667377)   #23
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Francesca
one F3 driver out and another one in! Shame about Pizzonia though.
You mean F3000?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:52 (Ref:667381)   #24
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by ralf fan
I feel sorry for Pizzonia who gave a though time to Webber At Silverstone . He would have left at the end of the year anyways just wasnt cosistent enough.
Consistency is something you can learn- trouble is, teams seem to keep picking up rookie drivers and expecting them to be the finished article from the start- and then dumping them when they turn out to need time to settle in. It's a shame for Pizzonia, who I'm sure is much better than we've seen so far.

Good news for Wilson though!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:54 (Ref:667382)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I wonder what made Stoddart choose Kiesa. Nothing against him, but if you were looking to recruit someone from F3000, wouldn't you look at Wirdheim, Pantano, Freisacher, Bell or even Toccacelo before Kiesa? The Dane has struggled with funding in the past; has he suddenly come into money?