Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 5 Sep 2023, 08:00 (Ref:4175245)   #26
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great evocative pics there Malcolm so thanks for sharing. I am guessing but presume the DAF is the ex Hazlewood Corbeau seats car from the 70's, a truly iconic car in the period that I have seen many times in period. Dont recall it having a big rear wing so maybe a recreation of some sort.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 08:40 (Ref:4175246)   #27
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Part of the appeal is that the assembly area is so accessible. Most Croft meetings have two men and a dog in attendance**, so it really isn't an issue, and it gives an old school feel to the meeting .

**oh, and about 50 security people in hi vis . About 48 more than Cadwell or Oulton then.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 08:49 (Ref:4175247)   #28
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Great evocative pics there Malcolm so thanks for sharing. I am guessing but presume the DAF is the ex Hazlewood Corbeau seats car from the 70's, a truly iconic car in the period that I have seen many times in period. Dont recall it having a big rear wing so maybe a recreation of some sort.

Chris, it's the original Demon Tweaks/Corbeau Seats car that is now owned by a committed Special Saloon racer, Andy Wilson, that was completely rebuilt to as near as possible to one of the specs that it raced in period. He currently owns a few other period cars that he or others race as well. In fact, the red/black Falcon behind him in that picture just so happens to be one of his as well!

It has taken Andy at least a couple of years bringing the Daf to the circuit although it has been to a number of other meetings as a static display. There is more info and it's rebuild history on both Gerry Taylor's Special Saloons' and the CSCC Special Saloons' Facebook sites where is a regular poster.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 09:06 (Ref:4175250)   #29
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Chris, it's the original Demon Tweaks/Corbeau Seats car that is now owned by a committed Special Saloon racer, Andy Wilson, that was completely rebuilt to as near as possible to one of the specs that it raced in period. He currently owns a few other period cars that he or others race as well. In fact, the red/black Falcon behind him in that picture just so happens to be one of his as well!

It has taken Andy at least a couple of years bringing the Daf to the circuit although it has been to a number of other meetings as a static display. There is more info and it's rebuild history on both Gerry Taylor's Special Saloons' and the CSCC Special Saloons' Facebook sites where is a regular poster.
Thanks Mike for the detailed update and glad to hear that particular piece of history is continuing on. What made me think it might have been some kind of recreation was I had forgotten the Demon Tweeks involvement (presume that was Minshaw?). My personal memories were of a red and white car with Corbeau and Westwood signage, the latter which ISTR being lawnmowers. I dont recall a predominantly white version or a large rear wing but maybe that was after I had left England for warmer climes!

Regardless of the detail great to see it is a survivor!
Old 5 Sep 2023, 16:33 (Ref:4175295)   #30
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
My personal memories were of a red and white car with Corbeau and Westwood signage, the latter which ISTR being lawnmowers. I dont recall a predominantly white version or a large rear wing but maybe that was after I had left England for warmer climes!

Possibly it's from the time Tony Sugden ran the car in the late 70s.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 16:39 (Ref:4175297)   #31
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope. Just checked on Suggy's website and the car was red when Tony ran it in 1978. Also it only had a bootlid spoiler with no gap in the surface which, I believe, were the regs at that time.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 18:06 (Ref:4175308)   #32
Malcolm Smith
Veteran

Malcolm Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
These are photos from CSCC Donington, September 2020:
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN2179.JPG   DSCN2180.JPG   P1500746.JPG  

Old 5 Sep 2023, 19:37 (Ref:4175312)   #33
geordiecriag101
Racer

United Kingdom
Market Harborough
geordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgeordiecriag101 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had a cracking day at Croft on Sunday, great weather with great racing apart from a few small grids, but that was to be expected being the weekend after Silverstars Festival.

Heres my trackside vid of the days racing for anyone who interested:
https://youtu.be/RjcchhMCCEo?si=mZXVRKLa3RuOwGkh
Old 5 Sep 2023, 20:09 (Ref:4175316)   #34
justracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Sussex
justracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjustracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by geordiecriag101 View Post

Heres my trackside vid of the days racing for anyone who interested:
https://youtu.be/RjcchhMCCEo?si=mZXVRKLa3RuOwGkh
Many thanks, great footage.
Old 5 Sep 2023, 20:53 (Ref:4175318)   #35
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Just happened to have an external hard drive with me and containing old family and assorted photos of mine so one of the DAF when I saw it decades ago and snapped it back in its early Westwood days.
Attached Thumbnails
TonyWestwood-DAFV8-tagged.jpg  
Old 6 Sep 2023, 18:08 (Ref:4175422)   #36
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Found this about this DAF:https://roverv8wildcatheads.home.blo...loon-race-car/ Was blue at some point?
Old 6 Sep 2023, 20:29 (Ref:4175440)   #37
61GT
Rookie

61GT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
Croft is a 5 hour drive for me but worth it. The only negative was the attitude of some of the security staff.

The weather was great on the Sunday and there seemed to be a very good crowd. I'm planning to have it on our (Historic FF2000) calendar next year.
Alan, that's good news for next years calendar.

Thinking further ahead, are there any thoughts or plans forming on how to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of FF2000?
Old 7 Sep 2023, 05:08 (Ref:4175459)   #38
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
50 years . Jeepers .
Old 9 Sep 2023, 08:22 (Ref:4175778)   #39
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of batches from the FF2000 race assembly on Sunday:
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC_Croft_2023_0050_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0052_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0053_10Tenths.jpg  

HSCC_Croft_2023_0055_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0056_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0057_10Tenths.jpg  

Old 9 Sep 2023, 08:23 (Ref:4175779)   #40
gary396
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northallerton
gary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgary396 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Second lot:
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC_Croft_2023_0058_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0061_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0062_10Tenths.jpg  

HSCC_Croft_2023_0064_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0065_10Tenths.jpg   HSCC_Croft_2023_0066_10Tenths.jpg  

Old 9 Sep 2023, 13:17 (Ref:4175814)   #41
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Greatbpics Gary, thank you.
Old 10 Sep 2023, 07:19 (Ref:4176008)   #42
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 61GT View Post
Alan, that's good news for next years calendar.

Thinking further ahead, are there any thoughts or plans forming on how to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of FF2000?
We'll be getting some things organised. It only seems 5 minutes since I was organising the 40th anniversary celebrations...
Old 10 Sep 2023, 12:06 (Ref:4176027)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Gazza
Old 10 Sep 2023, 13:29 (Ref:4176034)   #44
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMg8aF9XcHo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjcchhMCCEo