Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 13 Apr 2008, 07:44 (Ref:2176239)   #1
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What Lola was it?

When driving home from wintersport early February this year, we overtook a British registered RangeRover on the road between Chambery and Aiguebelle. Now this is not abnormal, apart from the fact that the Rover was towing a trailer carrying a partly covered blue Lola 4 cylinder sportscar....T210??. So who bought what, where, and what will happen?
Old 13 Apr 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2176494)   #2
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think that ws a friend of mine - he bought one in Italy and towed it back about that time, and he would have been in either a Disco or Range Rover
Old 13 Apr 2008, 19:29 (Ref:2176616)   #3
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
well who what where n when then!
Old 14 Apr 2008, 08:42 (Ref:2176917)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If it's the same one it was a friend who is very low profile so I am not sure if he will relish me naming him on a forum but he raced with some success a GRID Group C car in Thundersports in period (I think he won a race at one of the Birmingham races) which until recently he still had hanging up in his mews house! He intends to race it...
Old 14 Apr 2008, 09:09 (Ref:2176940)   #5
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble
If it's the same one it was a friend who is very low profile so I am not sure if he will relish me naming him on a forum but he raced with some success a GRID Group C car in Thundersports in period (I think he won a race at one of the Birmingham races) which until recently he still had hanging up in his mews house! He intends to race it...
Thanks, but now again as Driftwood already said: What is it (any history?) and will we see it race soon?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2177315)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, until it does race again, I think it is the history that we are interested in, so moved!
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2177485)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Ooh I love things like this!!

Sounds good though. Racking my brains trying to remember who pedalled/ran GRIDS in Thundersports that could be the buyer in question?

Dudley Wood, Gil Baird, Tony Lanfranchi were 3 people I recall running GRIDS in the early 80's who else was there?
Old 14 Apr 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2177488)   #8
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Ooh I love things like this!!

Sounds good though. Racking my brains trying to remember who pedalled/ran GRIDS in Thundersports that could be the buyer in question?

Dudley Wood, Gil Baird, Tony Lanfranchi were 3 people I recall running GRIDS in the early 80's who else was there?
I got stuck behind the Lola for a while, and maybe I should have executed my plan and make him stop to ask what the car was.....but probably my wife would not have understood. (and if the identity of the owner will be known, it would be interesting to know whether he remembers being overtaken by a C5 Break with big letters "Ultimatecarpage.com" written on the rear door
Old 14 Apr 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2177574)   #9
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it must be Robert he had a lola and sold it why has he gone for another
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:22 (Ref:2177796)   #10
simon drabble
Veteran

Driftwood you are right and you clearly know him! He cant resist a turn - I think he might have an Osella as well but I would be grateful if we dont out him as my name is on this thread yours isnt and he will only give me grief!!!!
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2177803)   #11
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
Driftwood you are right and you clearly know him! He cant resist a turn - I think he might have an Osella as well but I would be grateful if we dont out him as my name is on this thread yours isnt and he will only give me grief!!!!
wow you almost make it look like I was an accidental witness of a highly secret mission
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2177815)   #12
simon drabble
Veteran

he is a very old friend but when he gets a bee in his bonnet he is like a scratched record!!!! For some reason his life is on a need to know basis and as such hates unwarrented publicity - incredibly he is a good driver with no ego issues!!

Last edited by simon drabble; 15 Apr 2008 at 08:53.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:49 (Ref:2177823)   #13
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
he is a very old friend but when he gets a bee in his bonnet he is like a scratched record!!!! For some reason his life is on a need to know basis and as such hates unwarrented publicity - incredibly he is a good driver with no ego issues!!

He was known in period for having a race suit with prisoners arrows on it as he thinks this is the sport of the criminal classes!
Thanks, but I am actually much more interested in the car than in the driver....any chance that you could untangle that secret while at the same time not disclosing his identity?
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:52 (Ref:2177827)   #14
simon drabble
Veteran

I will ask him exactly what it was...
Old 15 Apr 2008, 08:56 (Ref:2177830)   #15
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
Quote:
I will ask him exactly what it was...
thanks