Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 20 Oct 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3320658)   #501
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo View Post
I don't know about Britcar but AFAIK many (most?) club tin top series specify the use of original suspension pick up points.
There's a been a Megane Trophy car running in Britcar which has almost nothing in common with the suspension set-up of the original road car. The same is probably true for the ex-DTM Astra that occasionally runs in BARC NW saloons, plus as you've already mentioned BARC SE allow ex-Eurocar and assorted spaceframe cars. There are places an NGTC car could be used but as you've alluded to, how desperate are you to beat Rod Birley.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 19:55 (Ref:3320676)   #502
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
where is the news about Maurer coming from ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
The LinkedIn link. Unless I am misinterpreting the wording of it...
There is no news about Maurer. The person's profile I posted has done work for Maurer, simple as.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 20:07 (Ref:3320680)   #503
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
There is no news about Maurer. The person's profile I posted has done work for Maurer, simple as.

I thought as much. Now as much as there have been discussions about manufactures, some time ago I heard there were non likely for next year but maybe 2015. But by then whose to say MG will still be around...

Actually what do people think about MG's long term prospects. The deal was only for 3 years and some have suggested that perhaps the company isn't that involved. Now whilst they are still relaunching in the UK it may make sense, but if they're having limited success in terms of sales would they pull the plug? The cars will certainly have life but surely 888 would need funding to run them if MG went at the end of next year? Or by then will a new build be needed...
Old 20 Oct 2013, 22:38 (Ref:3320725)   #504
PandaKing
Rookie

PandaKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
I thought as much. Now as much as there have been discussions about manufactures, some time ago I heard there were non likely for next year but maybe 2015. But by then whose to say MG will still be around...

Actually what do people think about MG's long term prospects. The deal was only for 3 years and some have suggested that perhaps the company isn't that involved. Now whilst they are still relaunching in the UK it may make sense, but if they're having limited success in terms of sales would they pull the plug? The cars will certainly have life but surely 888 would need funding to run them if MG went at the end of next year? Or by then will a new build be needed...
I remember it being mentioned somewhere (TV coverage I think) that MG were only selling 13 cars a month nationwide. Those kind of figures won't fund a btcc outfit, but the Chinese seem to have money to throw around.
Old 20 Oct 2013, 23:36 (Ref:3320740)   #505
BillWiskins
Racer

European Union
Brighton
BillWiskins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Outside of a BTCC car park/show stand, I have seen approximately... one MG6.

Since it has come up, and I was conveniently wondering just a few days ago - does anyone know how much involvement MG and Honda actually have? A friend referred to them both as 'full works' teams, which I'm sure isn't entirely accurate (certainly not in the 'good old days' sense).
Old 21 Oct 2013, 05:35 (Ref:3320822)   #506
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw more Chevy Cruzes after JP won the title with RML. I think MG could do with more non-motorsport advertising, but it depends what sort of customer they are going for.

On a different train of thought, an ex-888 Astra Coupe turned up in Classic Thunder the other weekend at Silverstone, non-original engine (this was turbo'd beyond 500+ bhp depending on who you spoke to), but other BTC-spec cars are in private hands for club racign only lately, so NGTC has some way to go before that happens.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 06:59 (Ref:3320847)   #507
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillWiskins View Post
Outside of a BTCC car park/show stand, I have seen approximately... one MG6.

Since it has come up, and I was conveniently wondering just a few days ago - does anyone know how much involvement MG and Honda actually have? A friend referred to them both as 'full works' teams, which I'm sure isn't entirely accurate (certainly not in the 'good old days' sense).
I believe Honda do support Dynamics, but my understanding of the MG project was that 888 got very little help from them... possibly the shells and some bits free but not much more than that. The MG project was underwritten by Plato [Tesco] and Neate [latterly Tordoff]. I stand corrected however.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3320907)   #508
TimRTC
Racer

TimRTC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I understand your suggestion.. It doesn't matter if you make the limit 40 cars or 400 cars when we currently only get 27 cars actually turning up. TOCA haven't turned away any serious entries that had the budget and car/driver ready to go, and 15% those that were entered failed to come up with the car/driver/budget to actually turn up. Do you honestly think that another 10 or 15 funded cars are going to magically appear next year?
True - but once the 32 spaces for 2013 were full there was no incentive for anyone else to start work on a car, particularly considering that NGTC cars cannot be used elsewhere.

If a team managed to secure a sponsor/budget after the places were assigned there would be no point following it through. If they could still show up and compete for grid places, they could start late but still make the grid in the latter half of the year.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:15 (Ref:3320950)   #509
PandaKing
Rookie

What date to TOCA announce the final grid? Surely there should be incentive for TOCA to announce it early to reduce the number of Stockton's and Neate's who don't have their cars ready for the season. If teams know they are in 6 months in advance they have more time to finish their car for the season start.

Since NGTC is a pretty much single series set of regulations teams would be risking a lot of money to build their cars without a guaranteed grid slot.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3320963)   #510
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaKing View Post
What date to TOCA announce the final grid?
Media Day
Old 21 Oct 2013, 11:53 (Ref:3320972)   #511
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimRTC View Post
True - but once the 32 spaces for 2013 were full there was no incentive for anyone else to start work on a car, particularly considering that NGTC cars cannot be used elsewhere.

If a team managed to secure a sponsor/budget after the places were assigned there would be no point following it through. If they could still show up and compete for grid places, they could start late but still make the grid in the latter half of the year.
If you've waiting until the entry list is announced before starting work on building a car then you are already several months too late.

What you suggest is possible but pretty unlikely. What are the chances of signing a sponsorship deal big enough to pay for the season and the build of the car just weeks prior to the start of the season, especially considering that even with pre-qualifying there's no guarantee you will actually get to race and therefore no guarantee that your sponsor will get any of the TV coverage that you have doubtless promised.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 13:39 (Ref:3321024)   #512
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I think a prerequisite of being granted a grid slot is that you must commit to taking part in all 10 rounds, so no skipping Croft or Knockhill. I was sceptical in 2013 of getting a 32 entrant race at any round and we didn't. For 2014, I think I may be a little more hopeful of that.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3321030)   #513
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I think a prerequisite of being granted a grid slot is that you must commit to taking part in all 10 rounds, so no skipping Croft or Knockhill. I was sceptical in 2013 of getting a 32 entrant race at any round and we didn't. For 2014, I think I may be a little more hopeful of that.
So what's the penalty for skipping a round, or indeed all the rounds [as in the case of Stockton] ?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 13:57 (Ref:3321036)   #514
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I don't know how realistic this is, but if there were 40 or so potential NGTC entries would a system such as this be feasible:

- Split the field in two divisions: 24 in division 1, 16 in division 2.
- Division 1 does two races per weekend.
- Division 2 does one race per weekend.
- The division 2 race is held in between Race 1 and 2 for Div.1 and serves as a last chance qualifier for the final race of the day.
- points scored in either division count towards the championship, but there are significantly more points to be won in Div.1 (say 50 for a win in Div.1, 20 for a win in Div.2 or something)
Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:30 (Ref:3321054)   #515
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
So what's the penalty for skipping a round, or indeed all the rounds [as in the case of Stockton] ?
I'm not sure, fining people probably isn't the answer as the main reason why people skip rounds in the first place is lack of funds, so penalising them in that way probably isn't the answer.

Some kind of grid place free up should be in operation, done on an event by event basis. So if TOCA knows the grid slots aren't going to be full at X round, they can offer up a slot say 10 days in advance of the event. Your grid slot is guaranteed up until that point, if you cannot commit to the event 10 days in advance, then that slot is freed up. Will that help matters? Only if there are a surplus of cars and teams chomping at the bit to enter cars.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:45 (Ref:3321064)   #516
TimRTC
Racer

Or, just ditch the Brands Hatch Indy circuit and expand the number of slots available.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 14:56 (Ref:3321069)   #517
pinkd56
Racer

England
Luton
pinkd56 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Or, just ditch the Brands Hatch Indy circuit and expand the number of slots available.
I think the concerns are with Knockhill, rather than Brands Hatch
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:03 (Ref:3321076)   #518
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I'm not sure, fining people probably isn't the answer as the main reason why people skip rounds in the first place is lack of funds, so penalising them in that way probably isn't the answer.

Some kind of grid place free up should be in operation, done on an event by event basis. So if TOCA knows the grid slots aren't going to be full at X round, they can offer up a slot say 10 days in advance of the event. Your grid slot is guaranteed up until that point, if you cannot commit to the event 10 days in advance, then that slot is freed up. Will that help matters? Only if there are a surplus of cars and teams chomping at the bit to enter cars.
But is there a penalty mechanism in place right now ?
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:31 (Ref:3321104)   #519
PandaKing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkd56 View Post
Well since not all teams have the budget for Knockhill, would there be scope to award extra places and then teams could volunteer not to travel? Or alternatively award additional grid places on the condition they can't compete at Knockhill. And then drops Brands Hatch Indy.

Either way nothing gonna change for 2014, but worth thinking about for 2015.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3321115)   #520
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
This could all be sorted in 2016 with the Circuit of Wales hosting race days, hopefully.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:51 (Ref:3321116)   #521
TimRTC
Racer

Quote:
No problem - the top 32 drivers in the championship at Knockhill get entered into this round, but for any who cannot attend, the 33rd etc. driver gets that spot.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 15:53 (Ref:3321119)   #522
TimRTC
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
This could all be sorted in 2016 with the Circuit of Wales hosting race days, hopefully.
I would imagine that Snetterton would be most likely to get dropped to make way for CoW. Knockhill may not be popular with teams, but the sponsors won't want to miss out on the huge Scottish attendance.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 16:04 (Ref:3321124)   #523
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
But is there a penalty mechanism in place right now ?
The Administrator has it at his discretion to throw some max ballast at a car if it misses an event or several.

Quote:
What concerns? There aren't any at all. Quite frankly, I don't see why a few people are wetting themselves with excitement at a capacity grid that might not ever happen. Even if it is maxed out at 32, that's just tough cookies for those that didn't get their act together in time.

In all honesty, I'd rather have 20 quality NGTC entrants than 12 quality ones and the rest of the 32 car grid filled up by lower than average drivers in substandard cars that struggle to finish a race with either reliability problems or getting binned into the gravel on lap one.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 16:05 (Ref:3321125)   #524
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I would imagine that Snetterton would be most likely to get dropped to make way for CoW. Knockhill may not be popular with teams, but the sponsors won't want to miss out on the huge Scottish attendance.
You can't kill off MSV. I personally think it should be Brands Indy, but it could easily be Thruxton. That would really save Dunlop some time, and probably chop off a little on the tyre budget. But I would really hate to see Thruxton go, as it is my home circuit, and it poses a totally unique challenge to drivers. It's also the only venue they visit in the south-west.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 16:06 (Ref:3321126)   #525
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
In all honesty, I'd rather have 20 quality NGTC entrants than 12 quality ones and the rest of the 32 car grid filled up by lower than average drivers in substandard cars that struggle to finish a race with either reliability problems or getting binned into the gravel on lap one.
Oh, come on, get into the spirit of things here!