Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 10 Oct 2001, 14:22 (Ref:158542)   #1
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WRC Driver changes for 2002

According to Autosport Tommi Makinen is being linked to drives at Suburu and Citroen, as well Richard Burns being linked to Peugeot, if Makinen moves to Citroen and Burns moves to Peugeot I would like to think this will give Alistair Mcrae an opportunity at either Suburu or Mitsubishi , sounds like a good plan to me, what do you all think?
Old 10 Oct 2001, 14:50 (Ref:158562)   #2
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoever goes wherever, I just hope that Subaru give Markko Märtin a full season in 2002. OK, I admit it, I live in Estonia which means I'm biased, but I think that Subaru ought to give him at least the same sort of chance that they've given Petter Solberg. Hyundai were said to be interested in Märtin, but I'm sure he'd rather stay with Subaru if they'd just give him a full season.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 16:10 (Ref:158611)   #3
RB5
Rookie

RB5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im pretty sure Makinen will be leaving Mitsubishi at the end of the season and will most likely drive for Subaru and not Citroen as he is planning to test the car for Subaru in Wales very soon.I agree with OVERSTEER that Alistar Mcrae deserves a drive in a more competative car too as he is an awesome talent.
Old 10 Oct 2001, 20:30 (Ref:158764)   #4
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Makinen leaves Mitsubishi, they will need a new No.1 driver. To bve honest I can't see Loix being given this role (plus he has been linked with Ford). So who could be No. 1 at Mitsubishi? It would have to be someone with experience, and I should image Ford and Pug will want to keep thier drivers!
Old 11 Oct 2001, 15:12 (Ref:159104)   #5
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As undersatnd it this is who is going to drive for who in for the drivers in 2002

Ford
C McRae
Saniz
Delecour?

Citroen
Makinen?
Bugalski
Puras
Loeb

Peugeot
Bruns?
Gronholm
Panizzi?

Subaru
Burns?
Martin
Solberg

Mitsubishi
Makinen?
A McRae?
Loix?

Hyundai
A McRae?
Liatti?
Erikkson?
Kankkunen?

Skoda
Schwarz?
Thiry?
Kresta?

As you can see it is very confussing.
Old 11 Oct 2001, 16:29 (Ref:159152)   #6
SJ Spode
Veteran

SJ Spode should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not surprised about the news re; Makinen. When interviewed before the San Remo event, Tommi was saying that he thought he'd have two further years in the championship before it was time to retire. So either he's after a change and the challenge of taking the title in a non-Mitsubishi car and/or he realises that the new Lancer WRC is a dog.

With regards other moves I think Burns will want to leave Subaru, and if he does I reckon Alister McRae is favorite for his seat. He proved himself in the Subaru on the Rally GB three or so years ago, and I also think that Subaru would welcome another British driver. (I wonder how many motors they would have sold in the UK without the help of Colin & Richard).Solberg to stay at Subaru now he's crashing them less often.

I think Sainz will stay at Ford with McRae C., and the only question will be whether Malcolm Wilson goes for experience with Delecour or opts for another young gun.

Peugeot will stick with Gronholm & Raikonnen, probably adding Burns and letting Auriol go. Panizzi may get more runs out as 4th car.

The interesting thing will be the situations at Citroen and Mitsubishi. Makinen in will probably cause either Bugalski or Puras to leave, and they could be a candidate for the Mitsi (unless they opt for experience in developing the new WRC, so Auriol or Delecour). And don't forget Burns did well with Mitsubishi before too.

Interesting times lay ahead......
Old 13 Oct 2001, 12:18 (Ref:160056)   #7
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On RTL RallyReport Loix said he wants to drive a topcar and that he had not have that feeling with Mitsubishi. He's now planning a private Ford Focus WRC team. (with Marlboro ads?).

So looks like Mitsubishi will need 2 new drivers for next season.
Old 13 Oct 2001, 19:42 (Ref:160206)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both Makinen and Sainz will test the Subaru, according to Norwegian news sources, so either of these two could be team-mate with Petter Solberg next year.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 12:51 (Ref:160867)   #9
SJ Spode
Veteran

Subaru has confirmed today (Monday) that four-time World Rally champion Tommi Makinen will join the team in 2002, along with co-driver Risto Mannisenmaki. The news means that Richard Burns is almost certainly heading to Peugeot next season. Makinen, 37, has signed a two-year contact with the Prodrive-run squad.
Old 15 Oct 2001, 20:00 (Ref:161074)   #10
JVA
Racer

JVA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a Belgium newspaper is an artikle about all the moves in the rallyworld

1. Makkinen to Subaru
2. Burns will go to ??? ( I think to Citroen or Mitsubishi)
3. Sainz will return to Subaru
4. Loix will go to the official Ford team
5. Mitsubishi needs two new drivers (Burns??)
Old 16 Oct 2001, 08:21 (Ref:161293)   #11
Laagri
Racer

Laagri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is getting very confusing. The BBC website claims that Mäkinen's place at Mitsubishi will be taken by either Carlos Sainz or Markko Märtin. It would be interesting to know if they actually have any information on that or if it's just pure journalistic speculation.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 12:03 (Ref:161393)   #12
SJ Spode
Veteran

Actually I've just sussed it. All these driver movements are a cunning plan by the merchandise operations. After a period of relative stability, fans will have to chuck away their Makinen - Mitsubishi & Burns - Subaru gear, etc, etc and buy new stuff.

Oh yeah, and to throw in another rumor currently circulating. How about a straight swap between Alister McRae and Markko Martin? Makes sense for Subaru for reasons mentioned in a previous post.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 16:43 (Ref:161509)   #13
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot has completed the assembly of the most powerful driving team in the World Rally Championship by signing 30-year-old Briton Richard Burns.

Peugeot's line-up for the next two years will consist of Burns and Marcus Gronholm on all rallies, backed by Gilles Panizzi and Harri Rovanpera. All four have won World Championship rallies this year. Panizzi and Rovanpera will share the third works entry, but will drive test cars or 206s run by satellite teams when they aren¹t competing on their strongest events.

Source: http://www.worldrallynews.com
Old 25 Oct 2001, 12:13 (Ref:165227)   #14
SJ Spode
Veteran

As the driver picture becomes ever clearer I thought I'd look back to what I thought would happen a couple of weeks ago and see how it's gone.

Not bad actually, although Alister's Mitsubishi move negates the predicted move to Subaru, and although I thought Malcolm Wilson could opt for a young driver, I never specified which one.

So who / what's left?

Still without a drive are Didier Auriol and Freddy Loix, and I think Hyundai could be a good bet for one or both. With Alister gone, I can't see Juha Kankkunen or Kenneth Eriksson wanting a full season so this might be the chance for Didier & Freddy. One complication for Loix could be sponsors as he carries Marlboro money, and not being up on ciggy companies, how tdo they relate to BAT who have become more involved with Hyundai this year.

There are also rumours that Armin Schwarz wants out of Skoda, but to where? Realistically I think Skoda will remain as is.

Also that Marcus Gronholm is unhappy with Richard Burn's arrival at Peugoet, but again where can he go in a top team, unless Ralliart subsequently decide to run three cars

So the wild cards in all of this will be people like Sebastian Loeb, can he get a works Citroen drive and oust either Bugalski or Puras? Also can Toni Gardemeister or Thomas Radstrom break into the big time.
The Loeb situation is too close to call, but for Toni & Thomas I don't think so....
Old 25 Oct 2001, 18:57 (Ref:165470)   #15
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're probably right there SJ. Radstrom had his chance in a works Ford, and stuffed it up big time.
I wouldn't fancy Loeb's chances of rocking the boat at Citroen either, Puras and Bugalski have done enough for me to retain their seats.
I'm not seeing a huge rush for the Skoda seats, so I think it's best that Shwartz sits tight and doesn't take the risk of giving up a works seat and ending up with nothing.
There's talk around of Loix going to Huyandi, which would take the Malboro cash to a team who really need it. I can't see Malboro wanting to sponsor Huyandi unless they have real faith in Freddy though, and aren't BAT well in with Subaru anyway??
Old 30 Oct 2001, 22:49 (Ref:167669)   #16
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Dunno if I can make a conclusion out of it but:

RTL reports Armin Schwarz will be out of the Skoda team for sure and any driver that brings enough money can join (Loix?)

Skoda not taking part in Australia, but going to the Rally du Condroz
And...it's just Thiry participating no 2nd Skoda.

So...my conclusion about Armin Schwarz is that he will be out of the Skoda team for sure.
And about Thiry? he might stay or do a farewell rally in front of his home crowd.

To be continued...
Old 30 Oct 2001, 22:54 (Ref:167673)   #17
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Skoda have signed Roman Kresta for next year, so unless they plan on running three cars, are only looking for one more driver.
Old 31 Oct 2001, 06:44 (Ref:167787)   #18
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
I thought they signed Kresta as well, but haven't seen the confirmation anywhere.

And it's said that Skoda is only taking drivers with big sponsormoney.
But i'll keep Kresta in my silly season list
Old 5 Nov 2001, 18:51 (Ref:170337)   #19
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
With Loix now linked to Subaru for 4 tarmac rallies i doubt that he will start a private team

Wonder HOW the Subaru will look in red

(Hopefully not as bad as hakkimans picture showed)
Old 6 Nov 2001, 12:28 (Ref:170753)   #20
SJ Spode
Veteran

If the Subaru goes red it will be interesting to see what happens to the colours of new Imprezas out on the roads. There's a lot around currently that are dark blue with gold wheels; coincidence, I think not.
Old 12 Nov 2001, 10:55 (Ref:173564)   #21
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
I'm reading the october/november issue of Autonews and in an interview with Pavel Janeba (teammanager of Skoda Motorsport) he clearly states that Kresta won't be driving a whole season for Skoda for sure, it's even unknown how many he will do.

Q: Is Kresta going to be the 2nd driver of the Skoda team next year?

A: I don't think he's ready for that yet. We want to build it up step-by-step, without having to put big responsibilities on his shoulders. It will depend on his budget how many rallies he will drive.

The Skoda story is to be continued...