Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 7 Dec 2010, 14:13 (Ref:2800891)   #1
69stang
Rookie

69stang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
REAL & REPLICA - John Motron's 1970 Datsun 240Z

It is a rare privilege when I can combine my love of photography, diecast and racing history together. My REAL & REPLICA series does just that, featuring a real vintage racer and a toy replica representing that car.

I wanted to share with you guys as I have never posted one of these on a non die0-cast based web site. I hope real racers will enjoy these as well.
All photos by by me except where noted. Feel free to post me with suggestions, corrections and comments.

Thanks for the read,
Ward

REAL & REPLICA - John Motron's 1970 Datsun 240Z

I had the opportunity to stop by Road Atlanta early this past May for Historic Sportscar Racing's (HRS) 2010 MITTY event. The grand marshal for this years race weekend was Pete Brock and his wonderful BRE Datsuns!

Pete and his Brock Racing Enterprises put Datsun on the map in North America with several national victories in the early 70's. After working on the Corvette Stingray concept, Pete went to work with Shelby America, designing the world champion Dayton Coupe. While working with Carroll, Pete meet Shelby driver John Morton, ...the rest as the say, is championship history.

This is a replica of that first title machine, the 1970 BRE Datsun 240Z. This car won Datsun's (Nissan) first US national championship by claiming both the 1970 AND 1971 SCCA C Production tittles.

The 1:43diecast is by Del Prado. I believe these cars are released as part of a magazine subscription, but I truly am unsure. Overall the diecast detail is very light, but for only $10.00 I have no complaints. Overall the paint and decals (tampos) are fairly clean and accurate. A nice "gap filler" to be sure. Kyosho makes a nicer version, but did I mention that I only paid $10?

Now the fun part of the story. In the same week I received the diecast by mail, I had the good fortune to see the real car at the Road Atlanta event...along with Pete Brock AND John Morton! Here are a few shots I took at the track.

First, the real car for reference....

And now the legends themself! Pete Brock...

And John Morton sitting in his 1971 BRE 510 Trans Am car, in which he also won two more national titles ('71-'72) in the under 2.5 class. The cars were on grid to take a parade lap around the circuit.

Last, and maybe my favorite photo of the weekend is this historic reunion of John Morton in a factory backed BRE sponsored race car! Though not a Datsun, this MX-5 Mazda looks great in the BRE colors! John finished 15th in the companion Playboy MX-5 Cup race. Of my on track shots with Morton, this one says the most...catching air and all. This guy is not to old to race!

Thanks for the read, I hope you enjoyed the photos. This was a unique chance for me to mix my diecast passions with my real life photography.

Ward