Old 30 Dec 2010, 12:09 (Ref:2809410)   #1
69stang
Rookie

69stang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'72 Kodak Lola T290 - Real & Replica Vol.4

The #27 Kodak Lola T290, ‘72 Le Mans by Bizarre
REAL & REPLICA, Volume 4
A History of the Diecast and the Racing Legend

OK, I admit that I have no idea why this model grabbed my attention. It does not fit any of my clean, pre-determined, organized categories of collecting. But it snuck in through an open door to my heart and won’t leave, so I must come to peace with the fact that I love this quirky little Lola!

Being a Lola fan in general, I first noticed this casting without any knowledge the real car’s history. It was more than a year later that I had the opportunity to come face to face with this chassis at a vintage motorsports event. Once I made the mental connections between the real car and my model, I knew this would make a fun subject for “Real & Replica”.

The car in question is a Lola T290 (chassis number HU-26) powered by a Ford Cosworth 1790 cc S4 FVC engine. This little car made history when it became the very first Lola to ever complete the full 24 hours and finish Le Mans! Owned and driven by Barrie Smith (UK) along with Rene Ligonet (FR), this Group 5 T290 won the 2 Liter class and finished 14th overall in the 1972 twenty-four hour classic. To the amazement of many, this was accomplished without any Lola factory support!

Today a world renowned photographer, Smith arranged sponsorship from Kodak France and delivered many returns on their investment. It is said that Kodak still has the various trophies in their Paris headquarters. It appears that in late ‘72 or early ‘73, Mr. Smith sold the car and it began a long journey with many owners. At some point (believed to be in 1975), the body work was updated to the then current T296 model.

In 2003, current owner Keith Frieser (Edmonton, Canada) had the Lola treated to a complete restoration. The “newer” T296 body work was retained, but the car was repainted in it’s class winning ‘72 Le Mans livery. Thus we see the difference from the model and period photos to the current images.

The model is a resin cast replica by Bizarre, (#BZ142) a sister company to Spark Models. Though a few liberties were taken with the casting in general, I believe they did an admirable job in capturing the overall shape and lines. The decals are of average quality and somewhat well applied (save the names on the cockpit). And though I find no photo reference to headlamp covers on the 1:1, I am sure Bizarre did this to hide the fact that no headlamps are included in the casting. This model

With the mold available, I would assume Bizarre would replicate more of the T290's but I find no evidence of this. I see many versions of the Lola T2 series produced (i.e. T280, 286, 294, 296 etc.) but no other T290 seems to have made the production schedule. That is OK with me, as it even adds a little more mystique to this historic sports racer. I know little about the history of Bizarre, but they appear to maintain low production runs. Even though this example has a very “handmade” feel and look to it, I do not find it a great distraction. The history of the car simply overshadows the models shortcomings for me. If you have more information on this release, please drop me a line.

I had the chance to see the car at speed during the inaugural Legends Of Motorsports in May of 2010. This was the first time our Lola had seen the track at the Barber Motorsports Park (Birmingham, Alabama). That held little importance, as Keith wheeled HU-26 to an overall win in the FIA 2 Liter Class. I do wish I had more photos of the car driven in anger, but these few photos will attest to the current state of this car...beautiful!

Current owner Keith Frieser leads Peter Read's Lola T-294 through the turn 6 at Barber.

Now the next time you push this yellow Kodak racer across your desk, you will know a little background making this replica unique. Thank you for the opportunity to share this unique blend of real and replica history. It is a rare privilege when I can combine my love of photography, diecast and racing history. I hope you enjoyed the ride.

Ward Wilson

All photos by author except where noted. Please contact me with suggestions, corrections and comments at WilsonMotorsports@comcast.net
For additional information on the real car featured in this article, check out the following...

Le Mans 1960 - 1990 (Unique Motor Books, 1990)

And on the Web at...
http://wsrp.ic.cz/chassis/chassis_lola_sports.html
http://www.frenchpix.com/racingtimes/page12/page12.html
http://forums.motorlegend.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27067

Black & White photos by Michael Keyser
Vintage color photos by Jacques Barichella
Old 2 Jan 2011, 03:46 (Ref:2810080)   #2
69stang
Rookie

69stang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A quick note of thanks to the mods for allowing this post, I know it was quite photo heavy!

Also, I would edit this to reflect new information, but I see no feature for doing so. Therefor I will just add the following image. This was sent via email as a uncredited photo source, but does indeed show covers taped over the headlamps. Changing my information as cited in the article.

If you find more bits of information, please post away!
Sincerely,
Ward

Old 2 Jan 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2810118)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Excellent post - thanks very much