Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Mar 2012, 19:23 (Ref:3048974)   #101
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think Maldonado is too flaky. Big fat cheque but expensive with it. Threw away qualifying, damaged his car and that (IMO) probably contibuted to the mechanical failure.
Old 26 Mar 2012, 23:38 (Ref:3049092)   #102
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Agreed. And above all this fat cheque is suspicious...
Old 27 Mar 2012, 00:15 (Ref:3049103)   #103
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Dirty driver and dirty money....
Old 27 Mar 2012, 00:23 (Ref:3049107)   #104
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
Agreed. And above all this fat cheque is suspicious...
No less suspicious than the one Ferrari gets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It would seem that when things do come together for him, he can be very quick.

And if crashing into other drivers is a problem.....
Old 27 Mar 2012, 01:14 (Ref:3049126)   #105
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
No less suspicious than the one Ferrari gets.
You're the one who's saying that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It would seem that when things do come together for him, he can be very quick.

And if crashing into other drivers is a problem.....
He's always quick, that doesn't mean he's quick enough... and I don't think crashing into other drivers is a problem, until somebody gets hurt.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 01:27 (Ref:3049130)   #106
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

He's always quick, that doesn't mean he's quick enough... and I don't think crashing into other drivers is a problem, until somebody gets hurt.
Does get kind of expensive though!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 01:54 (Ref:3049137)   #107
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Does get kind of expensive though!
In this dire times,yes it does.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 01:55 (Ref:3049138)   #108
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's no excuses for them, now. They've freshened up with Frank and Head moving elsewhere, they have the funds, and Michael and Parr are now gone. It's a fresh start and time to see whether Williams as a company is willing to commit to F1. I have my doubts.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 04:30 (Ref:3049160)   #109
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Sam Michael's autobiography should be a good read!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 04:57 (Ref:3049165)   #110
beau1
Veteran

Wales
Swansea,Wales
beau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbeau1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Oh Yes, because money and sponsorship from banks, tabacco companies and media companies is so ethical and clean these days

Added to that, apart from his silly act at Belgium Qualifying last year, when has Pastor been dirty?

He's a fine driver, IMO. A bit inexperienced an over-enthusiastic at times but who wasn't in their second full season of F1? He's certainly quick, he just need to know when to calm down.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 09:49 (Ref:3049277)   #111
csirl
Subscriber
Racer

csirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
This is my point. I fail to see how a change of engine in this day and age of equality in F1 would make such a huge difference.

Selby
The benchmarking focuses on a very limit range of engine parameters such as the max revs and max power of the engine. For most of a race, the engine is not at max revs or power. I just cant help thinking that the Cosworth is deficient in some way in mid or low range power or is maybe a fraction slower at reaching the optimun performance at mid or low range. I'm not an engine expert, so I probably cant articulate this properly, but its too coincidental.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 09:58 (Ref:3049283)   #112
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post
Oh Yes, because money and sponsorship from banks, tabacco companies and media companies is so ethical and clean these days

Added to that, apart from his silly act at Belgium Qualifying last year, when has Pastor been dirty?

He's a fine driver, IMO. A bit inexperienced an over-enthusiastic at times but who wasn't in their second full season of F1? He's certainly quick, he just need to know when to calm down.
Indeed. We seem to be confusing dirty driving with over exuberance.

I can name two world champions, at least, who can put dirty driving into perspective.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 10:15 (Ref:3049297)   #113
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Indeed. We seem to be confusing dirty driving with over exuberance.

I can name two world champions, at least, who can put dirty driving into perspective.
Indeed!

I think in these 2 drivers they've got the right ones for the moment. There probably isn't a true 'pay driver' as good as PM out there right now and Bruno will give his heart and soul to make it work.

Plus whatever PM does it seems to attract pr value, so as the old saying goes in F1, any news is good news!!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3049326)   #114
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Regarding Adam Parr, Joe Saward has linked to an article by The Mole which attempts to explain the situation. It's slow going at first, but gets better and I think his theory is probably about right.

http://f1mole.wordpress.com/2012/03/...s-a-boat-trip/
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3049335)   #115
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Regarding Adam Parr, Joe Saward has linked to an article by The Mole which attempts to explain the situation. It's slow going at first, but gets better and I think his theory is probably about right.

That's a superb article. I love the description of his proposed trip down the river; though this is the bit I liked best:

"In the overall scheme of things, only Ferrari, Williams and McLaren really matter. Sauber does what Ferrari wants. Red Bull and Scuderia Toro Rosso obey the rules of Dietrich Mateschitz. Ferrari’s Luca di Montezemolo is a pragmatist who has proved before that Ferrari always comes first and the other F1 teams are only there to be used in his negotiations with Ecclestone. Williams is the only other brand with value. To Ecclestone the Lotuses, Force Indias, Caterhams, Marussias and HRTs are all cannon-fodder. Lotus was smart enough to jump ship and agree to a deal. The others were probably not even asked."

Priceless.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3049341)   #116
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't think Maldonado is dirty. I do think he lacks brains and he is impetuous. The lack of the former will simply serve to increase the latter. He ranks right up there with De Ceasaris. Sorry can't see the attraction. But then I never believed JPM would win the WDC and I was wrong abou....... Oh wait!
Old 27 Mar 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3049344)   #117
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"yes pastor, but if we charge you more, your wallet lightens, which means you weigh less and you'll be a faster driver."

Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:10 (Ref:3049355)   #118
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

Thanks Strider - great analysis by the Mole as always - guess we know what happened now.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 12:20 (Ref:3049362)   #119
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beau1 View Post

I did not say that bank or tobacco money is clean either, At Spa he took a swipe at Hamilton, and in Australia 2012 turned left into Grosjean running him off the track..

So calm down and drive clean Pastor..
Old 27 Mar 2012, 14:11 (Ref:3049445)   #120
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think that it does and has been a problem if it's done regularly enough.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3049487)   #121
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I don't think Maldonado is dirty. I do think he lacks brains and he is impetuous. The lack of the former will simply serve to increase the latter. He ranks right up there with De Ceasaris. Sorry can't see the attraction. But then I never believed JPM would win the WDC and I was wrong abou....... Oh wait!
If Maldonado gets to within a late-season, Ferrari appeasing rule change of the title then he will have exceeded all my expectations.

I am indifferent to him, I think he's OK, but this "dirty" tag that is being bandied around is very silly and so I feel the need to get annoyed on his behalf. He is not Jerez '97.

I did miss the entire second half of last season though, so if anyone has evidence that he is a nasty piece of work then I am happy to be proven wrong.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 15:46 (Ref:3049493)   #122
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
I am indifferent to him, I think he's OK, but this "dirty" tag that is being bandied around is very silly and so I feel the need to get annoyed on his behalf. He is not Jerez '97.

I did miss the entire second half of last season though, so if anyone has evidence that he is a nasty piece of work then I am happy to be proven wrong.
it's not dirty, it's just not smart enough to avoid the accident!

in his gp2 winning season, he won the title by shunting it in both races at monza for example.
Old 27 Mar 2012, 18:32 (Ref:3049573)   #123
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
it's not dirty, it's just not smart enough to avoid the accident!

in his gp2 winning season, he won the title by shunting it in both races at monza for example.
Yes but he'd already done the hard work in the preceeding 12 odd races!
Old 29 Mar 2012, 08:45 (Ref:3050326)   #124
wnut
Veteran

Williams' biggest problem would appear to be the shear bloody mindedness that they have adopted toward their employees.
They have a staff turnover which other than the 2 owners would limit their total corporate knowledge to about 18 months.

They appear IMO to have very little faith in the saying "your employees are your business".
Old 29 Mar 2012, 10:52 (Ref:3050352)   #125
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I did not say that bank or tobacco money is clean either, At Spa he took a swipe at Hamilton, and in Australia 2012 turned left into Grosjean running him off the track..

So calm down and drive clean Pastor..
But he didn't turn left into Grosjean. As I have repeated over and over again, Grosjean (as much as I prefer him to PM) tried to stay with him on the outside of the corner rather than back off and try to cut inside.

Jackie Stewart once said that turning out of the corner was just as important (if not more) than turning in. From BriSCA to F1, you always turn out the corner to maximise the amount of track you use and hence your speed; it is basic race driving. Grosjean was nowhere alongside and should have realised. If anyone was showing their inexperience it was RG. At the end of the day though, this is what happens when you go racing. **** happens.

For the past 25 years F1 (and other racing) drivers have pushed the guy on the outside out. They have edged the guy on the inside down to the pitwall. It's not like PM is the first, the last nor the worst.

It bemuses me that Maldonado is being called dirty. He makes mistakes but then I have always expected that of someone who nearly wiped out a marshal under double waved yellows in FR3.5. There are drivers on the F1 grid who would do worse than the Venezuelan.