Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Mar 2024, 14:20 (Ref:4199106)   #26
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
Great intro BR - thank you - the BR intro for the first GP is THE key indicator that the new season is real!

Interesting practice sessions so far, quite topsy-turvy and no clear pattern. Qualifying and the race likely to be "must watch" viewing.
Hehe - you're too kind.

Well, FP3 done and that was inconclusive!
Old 1 Mar 2024, 15:10 (Ref:4199130)   #27
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
RBR not fastest in any session, however I can expect them to turn the wick up for quali
Old 1 Mar 2024, 17:04 (Ref:4199164)   #28
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Super Max takes pole, denying Ferrari their 250th.

I enjoyed that, though it wasn't the most scintillating qualifying session but great to see the cars out on the track. Looking forward to the race.
Old 1 Mar 2024, 17:36 (Ref:4199172)   #29
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Ugh, so the shows over then for 2024…
Old 1 Mar 2024, 18:11 (Ref:4199180)   #30
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
And there we are. The natural order has been resumed.

What was all that malarkey about in the fast lane in the pits? Bloody stupid rule. They should simply make it that once they're over the line that demarcs the pit boxes from the lane that they have to reach pit lane speed limit and not drop below it. Sorted.
Old 1 Mar 2024, 18:35 (Ref:4199193)   #31
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While Max is 2 tenths clear, I am thinking teams might be closing the gap to Red Bull? It will be interesting to see what long stint race pace looks like tomorrow. I think that will be telling for the rest of the year.

Haas in top 10 is interesting. I think I read Haas says they have resolved their tire degradation issues? Lets see if they can convert qualifying pace to race pace. I was hoping that McLaren would challenge more. I was expecting more for VCARB and Williams.

Has the chickens come home to roost at Alpine? All of that previous internal turmoil and they seem to be quite slow. Sauber not doing particularly well either.

Looking forward to the race tomorrow.

Richard
Old 1 Mar 2024, 19:12 (Ref:4199200)   #32
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was a good qualifying session to watch with only about 0.3 sec between P2 and P9. Expecting some great battles in tomorrow's race in the top 10.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 01:58 (Ref:4199246)   #33
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
What was all that malarkey about in the fast lane in the pits? Bloody stupid rule. They should simply make it that once they're over the line that demarcs the pit boxes from the lane that they have to reach pit lane speed limit and not drop below it. Sorted.
Agree - very poorly thought-through and administered requirements from the race director. As soon as the limits on slow warm-up laps were rightly brought in, it was clear to anyone understanding team mentality that the problem would transfer to pit lane. Quite how it took so long for that to be dealt with is a mystery to me but now that they've dealt with it, the solution hasn't worked at all.

Like your idea Greem - leaves no room for doubt and it might get us away from this flog of them all coming out at the same time, with every garage having ole mate staring at a computer screen and holding up his or her hand as a stop sign. Just pick a gap in the lane and wave the car out and be done with it.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 02:22 (Ref:4199248)   #34
PanozDP01
Rookie

PanozDP01 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max puts it on pole and Leclerc in P2 was expected. But George Russell put the Mercedes in P3. That's not surprising to me. But a lot of ppl spent the winter disregarding Russell. He was the least picked driver in F1 Fantasy also. Glad to see him on from so far.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 05:48 (Ref:4199261)   #35
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanozDP01 View Post
Max puts it on pole and Leclerc in P2 was expected. But George Russell put the Mercedes in P3. That's not surprising to me. But a lot of ppl spent the winter disregarding Russell. He was the least picked driver in F1 Fantasy also. Glad to see him on from so far.
More unexpected was Hulkenberg qualifying the Haas for Q3 in 7th, ahead of Norris Piastri and Alonso.

Yes, he only got P10 when they ran Q3, but he said after he had only used old tyres in Q3 wanting to save new rubber, happy to start 10th and know he had good, new rubber for the race.

I guess bragging rights for getting to Q3 were good news for Haas as well. KMag also made Q2

Alpine continued their woeful weekend, finishing (out in Q1) 19th and 20th on the grid..
Old 2 Mar 2024, 15:07 (Ref:4199417)   #36
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A relatively clean start, apart from Hulkenberg and Stroll tangling at Turn 1.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:20 (Ref:4199439)   #37
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Mistake by Russell as Leclerc takes advantage.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:21 (Ref:4199441)   #38
billy bleach
Veteran

Ireland
Cork
billy bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbilly bleach should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two years ago I got shot down in flames when I said I thought Russel was average at best. Not great under pressure. I have seen little to change my mind since….
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:25 (Ref:4199444)   #39
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bleach View Post
Two years ago I got shot down in flames when I said I thought Russel was average at best. Not great under pressure. I have seen little to change my mind since….

I never thought he was exceptional.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:40 (Ref:4199451)   #40
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Super Max on what I believe is his 85th win.

A repeat of RBRs 1-2 last year, with Perez having started 5th.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:46 (Ref:4199456)   #41
Vassago
Rookie

Vassago should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems like the only difference from last year is the gap between MV and the rest will get bigger...
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:46 (Ref:4199457)   #42
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Congrats to Super Max on what I believe is his 85th win.
Not quite.... his 55th win.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:49 (Ref:4199459)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Not quite.... his 55th win.

Thanks for the correction, I must be going deaf.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 16:53 (Ref:4199462)   #44
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Just listened to it on the radio. Yet another win from Max, but plenty of battling behind. However we need another team to beat Max sooner rather than later to have any chance of a close title fight. The problem however was summed up by the fact that for the umpteenth time every driver finished. Cars are too reliable, which means there’s less chance of surprises happening

What happened to RB though? Quick in practice, but nowhere in the quali and race
Old 2 Mar 2024, 17:00 (Ref:4199475)   #45
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That race felt a little bit too clinical, really. There was some good racing, some good and opportunistic overtakes, a little bit of reliability intrigue... but it felt somehow anticlimactic.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 17:39 (Ref:4199511)   #46
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Looking to be a tough year. RBR race pace looks fantastic and Max clearly in charge. Perez doing what he needs to do. Sainz playing hard and with the attitude of "what are you doing to do fire me?" (good for him). I am curious to hear details around Williams and particularly Sargeant. I missed some of the race, so I think I was hearing problems with the new steering wheel? The switching of positions at VCARB was pointless. First, they did it just as Max was lapping them which caused a delay in any passing attempt. And it seemed that Daniel really wasn't much faster than Yuki. While they were both out of the points, it was a bit of a slap on Yuki who otherwise had a good race. If they were do to it, they should have done it earlier (before Max caught them) and if Daniel couldn't make the pass, they should have switched positions back even if they were out of the points.

Richard
Old 2 Mar 2024, 19:08 (Ref:4199587)   #47
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
The switching of positions at VCARB was pointless. First, they did it just as Max was lapping them which caused a delay in any passing attempt. And it seemed that Daniel really wasn't much faster than Yuki. While they were both out of the points, it was a bit of a slap on Yuki who otherwise had a good race. If they were do to it, they should have done it earlier (before Max caught them) and if Daniel couldn't make the pass, they should have switched positions back even if they were out of the points.

Richard
Absolutely pointless. Felt very sorry for Yuki and he had every right to be upset with management. They would have been better off leaving Yuki ahead.
Old 2 Mar 2024, 19:10 (Ref:4199589)   #48
Richard C
Veteran

Per Williams race debrief, they were having overheating problems which resulted in them turning capabilities off so as to help cooling, but that had negative performance impacts. Saergent had an uncommanded brake bias adjustment which set it to full front. This caused his off.

Richard
Old 2 Mar 2024, 19:10 (Ref:4199590)   #49
S griffin
Veteran

Yuki may rant a bit much at times, but he has a point here. There was no reason for them to change like that. Worse is they didn’t change back
Old 2 Mar 2024, 21:26 (Ref:4199617)   #50
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard C View Post
If they were do to it, they should have done it earlier (before Max caught them) and if Daniel couldn't make the pass, they should have switched positions back even if they were out of the points.
Agree - left it too late & as it went, should have switched back at the end. Of course, the delay wasn't helped by Yuki resisting for as long as he did (based on what team radio we had during the telecast).

Race had an anti-climatic feel to it but seem to recall a similar feeling last year - with so much running at the same track by all teams in the last 10 days or so, they all kinda found their level.

Looking forward to the next few races to see if things are any different with only the GP weekend's running to sort out the cars.