Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:16 (Ref:1416120)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Improvements for A1GP

I think this is worthy of it's own thread - we've seen one round of A1GP now, and although it went very well want things could perhaps be changed to make the next round even better.
I'm talking about the Racing side of things, aspects about TV presentation have already got their own thread!

I'd probably say that having numbers on the car would be better. Timing screens that needed numbers worked on international dialing codes and that worked fine with no bias, but people were confused - if these are put on the cars and the programme as well it ensure that everyone knows what's going on and can just look at a timing board to see who's in what position.

Any other ideas?
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1416143)   #2
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp
I think this is worthy of it's own thread - we've seen one round of A1GP now, and although it went very well want things could perhaps be changed to make the next round even better.
I'm talking about the Racing side of things, aspects about TV presentation have already got their own thread!

I'd probably say that having numbers on the car would be better. Timing screens that needed numbers worked on international dialing codes and that worked fine with no bias, but people were confused - if these are put on the cars and the programme as well it ensure that everyone knows what's going on and can just look at a timing board to see who's in what position.

Any other ideas?
A spotters guide ( a sideways picture of the car in colour) either in the programme or as an insert to help with car identification.

I think that people will get used to having Country Codes as identification ( you can't see numbers or Country Codes from the speccie encloseures and I suspect from the the marshals posts) as it is a new. We have got used to numbers over the years
Old 25 Sep 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1416161)   #3
Dr Venom
Racer

Dr Venom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As the race's promoted as country against country, make the car's identifcation easy recongnisable, ie Brazil national flag and colour scheme, to many car colours that looked the same. USA's looked good from a aerial shoot, the british effort very poor.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:14 (Ref:1416196)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A tweak on the qualifying system. Aggregate systems don't lend themselves well to this kind of motorsport where the sessions move quickly and the order changes all the time.

Make all four sessions mandatory, but please, fastest single lap on pole.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1416213)   #5
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeh agree with Silk, best time out of four runs would be better. Aggregates dont do much to me either.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1416229)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
sort out the battery issues on the car, and get more testing time in.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:40 (Ref:1416235)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As I've suggested in the other thread, and as SilkcutJaguar has said, all qually sessions should be used. My thoughts - 1st and 3rd fastest times for one race grid, and 2nd and 4th times for the other race grid.

Although I do like the simple idea of the fastest single lap for pole.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:43 (Ref:1416240)   #8
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Change the format slightly. The gap in between the to races was a bit too long for no action on track but obviously not long enough for the team to prep the cars (correct me if im wrong but they didnt seem to reliable). Maybe they could have a gap of lets say 1 hour and have a support race or two
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1416261)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Venom
As the race's promoted as country against country, make the car's identifcation easy recongnisable, ie Brazil national flag and colour scheme, to many car colours that looked the same. USA's looked good from a aerial shoot, the british effort very poor.
National Flag colours?
That would give us 9 red-white-blue cars, 5 red-white cars, 1 red car, 5 red-white-green or orange-white green cars, 1 red-green car, 1 white-green car, ...
Old 25 Sep 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1416263)   #10
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
sort out the battery issues on the car, and get more testing time in.
I thought i heard them say they are not allowed any testing time in between Grand Prix.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1416290)   #11
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I though more could have been done with the GB paint job. What's wrong with the one on the front page of the Team GBR website.

The German car was very indistinct, the Irish needs more Orange.
I liked the French, USA
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1416357)   #12
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaksnaf
I thought i heard them say they are not allowed any testing time in between Grand Prix.
yeah, i think that's right, but there's issues with both reliability and handling of the cars. there needs to be more testing done to iron these out.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 22:47 (Ref:1416384)   #13
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Qualifying system is just stupid... The coverage of qualifying was horrible, whether that's because the Qualifying system was stupid, or it was just poor coverage I'm not sure.
Old 25 Sep 2005, 23:11 (Ref:1416398)   #14
bigted
Veteran

bigted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about national racing colours like it used to be!
Old 25 Sep 2005, 23:25 (Ref:1416404)   #15
L-B
Racer

Scotland
Fort William, Scotland
L-B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Qualifying I didn't mind need to sort the timing though.

I don't like that the sprint race is equal value points wise as the feature. and I really don't like the 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 system
Old 26 Sep 2005, 00:44 (Ref:1416439)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-B
I don't like that the sprint race is equal value points wise as the feature. and I really don't like the 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 system
Strongly agree!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 01:18 (Ref:1416448)   #17
Stephen H
Veteran

England
East Sussex
Stephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStephen H should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the qualifying was really good. From trackside there was plenty of action to watch. Thumbs up from me.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 06:30 (Ref:1416521)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didnt like the mandatory pit stop. I would extend the feature making the need for fuel aswell allowing for a bit of strategy and the like.

All in all really enjoyed the races and look foward to seeing them race in Australia.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 06:41 (Ref:1416524)   #19
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Yep Australia will most certainly be interesting at Eastern Creek. Flying up for that event and hopefully seeing an Aussie win.

The point system is little to be desired, you would have thought they'd learn after the draw back F1 got after their new point scoring system. Top 10 is fine to give points to, but a different structure is neeeded.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1416853)   #20
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
i suppose the point of having the same points for both races is that there's little to make drivers overtake in the sprint race already (what with the feature racing being so soon afterwards), so by giving the same number of points it gives them something to race for.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1416972)   #21
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
All the prize money is distributed based on the results of the Feature Race, so that's an added incentive. With only an hour between races, I don't think you're going to see any mega brave overtaking moves in the Sprint Race, although USA did move up from 17th to 11th (as they should with Scott Speed driving).
Old 26 Sep 2005, 18:20 (Ref:1417190)   #22
Mr Jinxx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Isle of Man
Mr Jinxx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although drivers may be a little braver in the sprint race when the 2nd cars arrive. You can't afford to trash your car in the sprint race, with so little time between races, unless the 2nd car is ready to go.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 18:36 (Ref:1417205)   #23
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More boost!!!!

The commentary team kept telling us about the boost but I found it very hard to notice anybody actually using it! Perhaps a lighting system similar to Champ car could be used and also give the drivers more 'horses' to play with when using the boost button. Surely without the Adam Kahn style weaving (which was at least entertaining!) a driver should be able to use the boost and pass on a straight even as short as that between Paddock and Druids.

I thought that the qualifying started off great but dragged on a little, perhaps just 3 sessions would have sufficed with the best 2 laps counting. Also the gap between the races could have been filled with a support race, celebs in BMW M5's would do!

Overall we had a great day and enjoyed ourselves more that the Bernie GP at Silverstone.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1417259)   #24
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles lives!
More boost!!!!

The commentary team kept telling us about the boost but I found it very hard to notice anybody actually using it! Perhaps a lighting system similar to Champ car could be used and also give the drivers more 'horses' to play with when using the boost button. Surely without the Adam Kahn style weaving (which was at least entertaining!) a driver should be able to use the boost and pass on a straight even as short as that between Paddock and Druids.
I agree, 30bhp more isnt much. Something more along the lines of 50-75bhp IMO would be much more useful and would make a real noticeable differnce. Still, lets wait and see how the other rounds go. Ive got a feeling that the racing will be signifcantly better at Lausitz.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 19:58 (Ref:1417295)   #25
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You have to remember that unlike Champcar where the Push-to-pass comes from allowing extra turbo boost to increase the speed of the cars.

The A1GP Push-to-pass is basically a different engine "map" which gives the increase as they are non-turbo engines.