Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 5 Dec 2013, 02:16 (Ref:3340309)   #26
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Reading the tea leaves I think Tagliani's got it.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 03:04 (Ref:3340316)   #27
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
Spanish are super fan of all motorsports like the UK! Take these two only and you fill all your seats if you bring the show around! Think of Donnington or even Brands! And Jerez in Spain! FULL There is only F1 in Europe as pro single-seater series and many people are getting fed-up so if Indycar does not take the spot (and it unfortunately wont), formula E will... which is a pity as these machines and the whole show is unique by definition!
I'd like to see it at Donington actually, Brands sounds good but I think would be a damp squib on the day. CART had a poor time there. On the continent, them racing at Spa and Monza would be interesting. But even the DTM spurning England is very telling and it tells me the ground is not ripe for the UK to host Indycar and for it to be a success. DTM is far more relevant to the UK market than Indycar is, yet DTM isn't going back. The Spanish want a Spanish hotshot or they won't turn up. Servia who is getting on a bit, doesn't really fit that bill. They tell me that there is now a giant crater where the Spanish national budget used to be so I don't know where they stand with commercial viability. I don't keep on top of the Dutch scene but they seemed to have struggled to keep the F3 masters afloat - is the environment ripe for Indycar? Luyendyk might be able to make some noise I suppose. The bottom line is that these Indycar guys need to consolidate at home if they want to survive. Scheming grandiose global excursions whilst the homefront collapses is not a good idea. The bulk of the sponsors they've got are just interested in America, prospecting for European money to make global excursions viable is itself a costly business. We can have fun thinking about Indycar gracing the great European tracks but I just don't think its on the cards.
Old 5 Dec 2013, 03:35 (Ref:3340318)   #28
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tagliani is currently testing the car at Sebring. We know Dario will stay with the team in some capacity and I would think he would strongly support Di Resta, but that may be more up to Paul than Chip.
Justin Wilson ran with the team at the Rolex 24 a few years ago and I believe was being considered for a spot with the B side IndyCar team when Graham and Charlie came along.
I think it's down to Tags, Di Resta, and Wilson but I like the Simona and Rubens Barrichello rumors.
Old 7 Dec 2013, 15:42 (Ref:3341241)   #29
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
What about Briscoe?
Old 7 Dec 2013, 18:20 (Ref:3341290)   #30
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace007 View Post
It would huge to any race-oriented nation like Spain, Belgium, Germany and Holland!
No-one in Belgium or the Netherlands would care, and the Spanish can't afford it at the moment - if they'd care in the first place.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 05:56 (Ref:3341837)   #31
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
What about Briscoe?
Briscoe once drove for Ganassi but crashed big and later subsequently dropped from the team. Then he drove sports cars for Penske... and then Indycars for Roger, and was then dropped... So I think he's an outside chance.

If de Resta is ready to walk away from F1 then yes, there is a chance.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 06:23 (Ref:3341842)   #32
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
Briscoe once drove for Ganassi but crashed big and later subsequently dropped from the team. Then he drove sports cars for Penske... and then Indycars for Roger, and was then dropped... So I think he's an outside chance.

If de Resta is ready to walk away from F1 then yes, there is a chance.
Marshall Pruet has Briscoe as a major chance.

Briscoe also drove for Ganassi at Indy this year
Old 9 Dec 2013, 13:59 (Ref:3341963)   #33
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Everything (of a reputable source) I've seen suggests it's likely to be Briscoe.

Which, is a bit of a *sigh*.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3342007)   #34
ace007
Racer

ace007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Everything (of a reputable source) I've seen suggests it's likely to be Briscoe.

Sucks
Old 9 Dec 2013, 20:44 (Ref:3342075)   #35
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post

That seems to be the general opinion, doesn't it? He's had top drives before and has usually been outperformed by his teammates. I think he's definitely good enough for IndyCar, but I was hoping of somewhere more like Panther...

di Resta would be my first choice. I don't see him on the grid next year, unless he finds a pot of gold he'd only be able to get a reserve seat, or just be a super-sub hoping that someone gets injured. Which doesn't happen all that often any more. But at a top team once he's got used to the car I think he'd be a real threat in Indy. It's not like Barrichello, who landed in a midfield team that only seemed to make up positions by Kanaan's late lunges (which Rubens wasn't used to) and was one of the oldest drivers in that series too.

But failing that, I'd rather the seat went to Wilson. That would be interesting. Servia would probably be more preferable than Briscoe, although I don't really see him winning championships. Maybe even someone like Filippi, Valsecchi, Bird or Leimer. But I doubt that would happen.

Oh well...
Old 9 Dec 2013, 21:39 (Ref:3342098)   #36
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
I wouldn't touch an F1 driver. Not for the 10. Briscoe is a steady choice he wouldn't need teething time to get dialed in like a rookie would, F1 or not. I like Tagliani although he has a tendency to get into trouble - an instinct he would have to curb. I hope he at least looked into springing one of the French drivers from their contracts because they would all be able drivers for the 10 and they know the cars.
Old 9 Dec 2013, 23:51 (Ref:3342162)   #37
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems it's between Briscoe and Tagliani... A few points:

- Many people refer to Briscoe's experience in "top seats" - they do this neglecting to acknowledge the awful lump of a Toyota engine he (and Ganassi) was saddled with in 2005. At the time, it was thought that he was actually slightly quicker than Dixon - however, the cars were set-up so close to the edge (to make up for the lack of engine) that to get that speed Briscoe occasionally ended up going over that edge.

- We could easily be talking about a series champion here... A caution at the end of the race at Homestead 2009 and Briscoe is that year's champion. He drove a flawless race in the decider, and was easily the fastest man that day - only to get beaten by Dario driving to a fuel number.

- Sure, his last couple of years at Penske perhaps underwhelmed some, but let's not forget that his ride at Penske became very much a third car - with strong support from Shell and Verizon for Castroneves's and Power's cars, and dwindling support from Izod. In addition, his car was the one in the team that would usually get the rough end of the stick - I've rarely seen one car get hit so much...

- Let's also not forget that Briscoe's entering the cockpit at Panther immediately saw a greater increase in relevance on every occasion - there were reasons (largely out of his control) that the parties didn't reap any significant reward (ie. Wilson taking Kimball and Briscoe out in Toronto), but his times were significantly more competitive than any other driver in that car. There is a reason Panther still wants him around...

- There are also reasons Briscoe has been in top teams, and Tagliani hasn't - Tags has actually been fired/benched (whatever you want to call it) from some of those lesser teams... My take is that Tags is inordinately capable of snatching mediocrity from impending promise, eg. Fontana with Ganassi. I have always liked Tags, and he's fast enough and good enough to often illicit said hope and promise, but in 14 seasons he just doesn't have the record of following through on that promise... If Briscoe doesn't get the Ganassi seat, he has options - Tags will likely be in a GT car.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:05 (Ref:3342167)   #38
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Tagliani does get into trouble which makes him open to getting elbowed out by someone with a better budget and would represent better value in monetary terms. If he gets the Ganassi gig, hopefully all the testing he has under his belt with a hotshot team will have settled him. Tags is also a little oldish.

With Ryan, in a three car team you can bundled down the pecking order if your morale dips or the politics gets tricky - of course you could argue that a real champ would compensate for that. I don't think there's much to chose between the two to be perfectly honest weighing every factor up. For sentimental reasons, I'd like to see Tags get the gig.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:09 (Ref:3342169)   #39
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tagliani scares me a bit. He seems to try more outrageous moves than anyone else. He's blindingly fast on occasions but also seems to end up in the wall a lot. I understand why he was in the car at Fontana - it was short notice and he was available - but for a full time seat?
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3342171)   #40
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
With Ryan, in a three car team you can bundled down the pecking order if your morale dips or the politics gets tricky...
Or your major sponsor's spend starts dropping in comparison to those on your team mates' cars...
Old 10 Dec 2013, 00:30 (Ref:3342175)   #41
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Pick up Briscoe for a year for a steady hand and then head hunt for Page for '15 unless Briscoe exceeds expectations. Could be the steadiest, cheapest strategy whilst having an in form Dixon to lead the charge in the meantime.
Old 10 Dec 2013, 01:40 (Ref:3342193)   #42
Baigu
Rookie

Canada
Ottawa
Baigu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Target has their say in it, Tagliani will get the seat. Target just entered the Canadian market in 2013, could use a canadian driver to promote the brand. Also, some of Tagliani's personal sponsors (Oasis & La Petite Bretonne) are also in the same industry. They could benefit on having Tagliani in a Target car (business contacts).
Old 13 Dec 2013, 03:08 (Ref:3343481)   #43
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Briscoe.

http://www.racer.com/briscoe-set-to-...rticle/325492/
Old 13 Dec 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3343804)   #44
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Target wanted a Canadian driver they should chase Paul Tracey - can't believe Tagliani was given serious thought. He has 1 race win in 15 years in open wheelers & is a crasher!
Should've plucked a rookie from Indy Lights, the point of the ladder system being?