Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 23 May 2001, 12:49 (Ref:95540)   #1
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peugeot's best - the 404

Most will probably realise by now that I'm a long time devotee of the Peugeot marque, currently running a pair of 504 wagons for my transport.

But I long for the days of the 404. It was such a nice car to drive, lacking only a little in power. Which would be readily solved today with all the 504 engines that are lying around and fit straight in...

The best one I had was a private import, with a sunroof, a 1960 model, which I upgraded with later struts, disc brakes from the 1969 model, the bigger diff and everything. It was all set to go 2-litre, but never got there.

Anyone else got any favourite car from their past?
Old 23 May 2001, 14:29 (Ref:95557)   #2
redback
Racer

redback should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've got two Isuzu Belletts. There is something about all the odd ball extras on 60's Japanese cars that sucks me in. I also like the poor English translation with words on the dash spelt incorrectly.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:26 (Ref:95893)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I loved my 505 which I drove up to the snow many times in Cyprus. It cornered beautifully, and it had the most comfortable seats of any car that I have driven(except my current car the Volvo V70 AWD). I also drove the 505GTi from Byron Bay to Nimbin in the rain - not my car so I did not push it. I never eally had the chance yet to push the AWD, probably never will if my wife knows my intentions. I hope to take it up to Mt. Glorious soon to try out the Michelin Pilot Sports.
Old 24 May 2001, 10:59 (Ref:95899)   #4
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A friend of mine has a 404. I've known him for 10 years and the car that long as well. It never chages. He spends no money on it. It looks the same, it goes the same. It is the same. Just closer to 40 years old rather than 30.
Old 24 May 2001, 11:17 (Ref:95915)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well the best motorracing footage I have ever seen, or at the very least 5 minutes of footage, is the Peugeot 405 of Ari Vatenen going up Pikes Peak.

I don't have many cars from my personal past, but my favourite would be, of all things, a Holden Barnia. Mainly because, despite its lack of power, it handled like a Suzuki Swift GTi.
Old 24 May 2001, 11:38 (Ref:95933)   #6
Ray Bell
Veteran

A friend of mine has a 4WD Peugeot 405 Mi16, which is absolutely stunning when it comes to handling... so your appreciation of that Volvo is understood, Bouncer.

And the footage of Pikes Peak, a classic film of a classic car at a classic event... nuff sedd.

Or it was till I remembered what they said on Channel 9 several years ago... Climb Dance, which is the name of that piece, is the most requested bit of film in their archive...

Last edited by Ray Bell; 24 May 2001 at 11:40.
Old 26 May 2001, 04:08 (Ref:96728)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by elephino
Well the best motorracing footage I have ever seen, or at the very least 5 minutes of footage, is the Peugeot 405 of Ari Vatenen going up Pikes Peak.

I don't have many cars from my personal past, but my favourite would be, of all things, a Holden Barnia. Mainly because, despite its lack of power, it handled like a Suzuki Swift GTi.
I saw at the Brisbane Motor Show footage of the SAAB that was specially built for Pikes Peak, with a special twin turbo engine producing around 760 BHP.

Regarding teh Holden barina, it is actually a rebadged Opel Corser. I rented one and drove opver half of Portugal in it - it was quite a good car. The amazing thing about this little car is that it will hold two full sized samsonite suitcases in that rear boot compartment. Even the dealers and the people at the motor show did not know this.
Old 26 May 2001, 12:42 (Ref:96847)   #8
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
VB, wrong Barina. I'm talking about a '92 one, which was a rebadged Swift.

I drove a Barina GSi though, rebadged Corsa and didn't think much of it really.
Old 30 May 2001, 02:47 (Ref:98615)   #9
Ray Bell
Veteran

I guess, on reflection, that the 504 wagon has the attribute that makes the 404 good... the torque tube rear end with live axle.

But the 504 wagon is a fairly big thing, really quite long. So it isn't as nimble as the 404...

I'll go back to sleep....

BTW, I've had a query from someone about what oil they should use in the 404's worm drive rear end... any clues there?
Old 11 Jun 2001, 15:16 (Ref:103943)   #10
matje
Rookie

matje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
I guess, on reflection, that the 504 wagon has the attribute that makes the 404 good... the torque tube rear end with live axle.

I seem to remember, Peugeot has sold a couple op 504 sedans with a live rear axle as well. It was (if I remember correctly) near the end of the life of the 504. The 505 was already available, and only the lesser versions of the 504 were still being sold.

mat
Old 11 Jun 2001, 15:49 (Ref:103954)   #11
Ray Bell
Veteran

Not to my knowledge. They were available in France and some other countries (in Africa mainly) but not here.

You might be getting mixed up with the drum brakes on the rear of some of the diesels that came out very late in the peace, ran concurrently with the 505s. Even these were independent rear end cars.
Old 12 Jun 2001, 15:58 (Ref:104438)   #12
matje
Rookie

matje should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Ray Bell
Not to my knowledge. They were available in France and some other countries (in Africa mainly) but not here.

You might be getting mixed up with the drum brakes on the rear of some of the diesels that came out very late in the peace, ran concurrently with the 505s. Even these were independent rear end cars.
I'm pretty sure they had a live axle. But I will look it up. BTW, I am from Holland, so perhaps that is the difference.

mat
Old 12 Jun 2001, 21:16 (Ref:104514)   #13
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ray,

I spent the long weekend on a property at Barrington Tops in NSW. The place had four 504's that were running, seven that weren't and three 404's that were non goers.

You would have been in heaven.
Old 13 Jun 2001, 06:14 (Ref:104631)   #14
Ray Bell
Veteran

Yes, Mat, the Netherlands would have had the lower-priced models with the live axle...

And Moff... you must tell me where this place is... my spiritual home, Barrington Tops, the fish farm belongs to distant rellies (strange ones, apparently) while my mother's mother was born there.