Old 24 Jun 2001, 20:07 (Ref:109235)   #1
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooooh don't it drive just lovely...

...the Ford Focus that is.

I had driving lesson no. 18 today (mock test on Wednesday, ooh err), and for the first time I was in a Focus. I can safely say it was the most pleasant car I have driven yet. The Fiesta was nice but fussy, the Delica boring as hell, the Volvo just a girlie brick, and the Hyundai way too sensitive, but this baby is gorgeous. The pedals are so weighty and yet sensitive at the same time, it's much easier to reverse in than the Fiesta, and the gears are so easy to find and change into.

What does anyone else think???
Old 24 Jun 2001, 20:47 (Ref:109256)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bloomin' heck mate, how many cars have you driven in 18 lessons ??
5 cars in your count to date. How many more ?

Are you so bad the instructors suddenly have to wash their hair / cremate their goldfish or what, when you call for the second booking ????

Best of luck though for Wednesday, although please avoid Sussex if you could.

Simon
Old 24 Jun 2001, 21:04 (Ref:109265)   #3
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
The bloody fool probably crashed them all... (sorry, MF!)

Best of luck, old boy! Just keep calm and drive as you would any other time... easy!

Focus, eh ? Not had a drive in one yet, but I must admit to rather liking them since they came out... something so different in it's styling, but not as ugly as the Sierra or Ka were when they were inflicted on us...!
Old 24 Jun 2001, 21:21 (Ref:109272)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My instructor started with a Fiesta, then left [insert driving school] and had a Hyundai. I'm now back at [insert driving school] and they are in the process of upgrading all Fiestas to Focus'. The Toyota Delica (or Armoured Personnel Carrier) is my dad's, and is a beast. Nice steering but boring as hell with a naff auto box. The Volvo is my mum's. And I haven't crashed any yet. Cheek.

Tis only a mock test so I'm not nervous. Yet.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 21:24 (Ref:109274)   #5
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've heard many people say good things about Focusussussesiss, mostly about how well they drive- not sure about the looks though! Hope the lessons go well so that you can join the rest of us idiots in battle with the Infernal Confusion Engine!
Old 25 Jun 2001, 04:51 (Ref:109417)   #6
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The learning to drive harrow.

And now a voice from the passengers seat.

My son is 16. Thinks he is 26 and can drive as well as TGW (he is a Shytemaker supporter and no I have shown tolerance beyond that normally humanly possible and not thrown him from the home).

I have been taking him driving in the family car (Ford sedan, 4 litres of pure unadulterated power) while we build up the enthusiasm to finish hand rubbing his Mazda back before spraying.

I thought he was doing OK. But when I asked as we drove along the other day "what was the colour of the car behind and what is it doing". (I'm a "check your mirrors kind of guy"). He said, "don't turn this into a driving lesson". I'm still not sure what it was 'sposed to be if not a driving lesson but there you go.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 10:58 (Ref:109492)   #7
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ford Focus. The car Ford Australia should be importing instead of sticking an underpowered 2.0L engine in a Laser. What a waste. They didn't even put a bar in the engine bay, as did Mazda, and they want people to think it is sporty.

Anyway, good luck on the test, even if it is a mock test.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 11:06 (Ref:109495)   #8
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Elephino,

the bar under the bonnet is going to make all the difference to the handling observed by most road going purchasers?

How does it drive? My mother has a 1.8L Liatra (Laser) and it goes fine. Surely 2L's would be a great drive. They are typical front drive Japanese cars like your after all and not Honda Integra Type R's (untypical Japanese front driver).
Old 25 Jun 2001, 21:18 (Ref:109687)   #9
yorkie
Rookie

yorkie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have driven many Focuses (foci?) and have found them to be an excellent handling car. They seem to go around corner as if they are on rails, despite my best efforts to slide them round roundabouts.

They are by far and away the best handling car in that class.

I can't wait to have a go ion the RS version. Not only will it handle well but it'll go like stink!!
Old 26 Jun 2001, 10:58 (Ref:109893)   #10
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moff, I will admit that to most drivers they would not notice but I am not a normal driver I noticed it, and if you do push the car at all (and it doesn't have to be much) then it is noticable in absence.

Both, are above average small hatches but as they are really trying for the hot hatch market, they do fall below average. The Mazda would be about equal to my Pulsar SSS overall but down on power (which is why it is only equal instead of slightly ahead). The Laser is below that. It isn't as nice to the touch, it doesn't handle as well and is just generally slightly below the Mazda in every area, and it adds up.

Really if either car is trying to attract the type of person they are trying to, which includes me really, then they are below where they need to be. Both cars should be ahead of the Pulsar easily, even if not by a lot. The Pulsar is an old design now, the last update before it was discontinued was something like 1997/8 and it is based on a car from 1995.
Old 1 Jul 2001, 11:08 (Ref:111707)   #11
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a drive in an AU II XR8 5-speed the other day. Very impressed with all that power and excellent braking and handling, but found the shift rather imprecise and remote, I never really knew what gear I was pulling until I had pulled it.

Honestly I can't see why anyone would want a big powerful car with manual shift for a daily driver. Not only is it too much work holding the clutch in when you're stuck in traffic, but they're slower. No matter how good you think you are, the computer in an auto can change gears faster than you can in a manual.