Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 10 Jul 2001, 12:28 (Ref:115233)   #1
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A new car

I have finally lashed out and bought myself a new car , that the wife drives most of the time

It is a 1998 FORD Falcon EL XR6. It has a 4.0lt 6 cylinder engine that has been modified by Tickford engineering (they also play with the suspension a bit). It produces 164kw (220hp). It weighs approx 1480kg. The car is based on the average family sedan that is sold in australia, but it is the sports model. You get the twin headlight front, alloy wheels, sports seats, power windows,leather wheel and rear spoiler.
It is a great car to drive because it gives you a bit of everthing, power ,handling and comfort and it is a Ford of course.

Here are a couple of pictures of a car the same as mine(no photos of mine yet)

Happy now moff
Attached Thumbnails
xrfalcon.jpg  
Old 10 Jul 2001, 14:52 (Ref:115268)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice motor. It's a shame that similar vehicles (large, fast, rwd, cheap) are not available in the UK. Do they not do a sporting Falcon with a V8?
Old 11 Jul 2001, 01:41 (Ref:115454)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
Nice motor. It's a shame that similar vehicles (large, fast, rwd, cheap) are not available in the UK. Do they not do a sporting Falcon with a V8?
Yes they do, from what I saw at the motor show, there is a powerful V8 Falcon. And Holden offer a V8 car with a very vry powerful Chevy engine in it. However, the cost of insurance would be prohibitive. I suppose these things also guzzle petrol that would make anyone in England faint since we only pay around 30p a litre for petrol here, a bit less in the past couple of weeks. When you get to the more powerful engines here, the word cheap no longer applies for new cars, although the second hand cars are cheap, because such cars just don't have much resale value.
Old 11 Jul 2001, 03:11 (Ref:115476)   #4
mtpanorama
Veteran

Australia
Bathurst (best racetrack in the world)
mtpanorama should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Humpage
Ye sthey do. It is called an XR8. The same as my care but with a V8 in it. 185kw , but with the extra weight of the v8 the six is almost as fast. And yes the xr6 is a lot cheaper to insure and uses a lot less fuel
Old 11 Jul 2001, 10:58 (Ref:115575)   #5
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exceeellllllleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnnnnnnnt

Way to go Mount!

I'll swap the seats in my Fairmont for the motor in your XR6.
Old 11 Jul 2001, 13:03 (Ref:115634)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Actually VB, the XRs and SS retain their value much better than any other variant of Falcon or Commodore. It is the luxury models that suffer the most from depreciation.