Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 25 Feb 2010, 09:16 (Ref:2640206)   #1
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
chevy34 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
E85 Help

Does anyone use or know much about E85, Motorsport New Zealand are droping Avgas of the aproved fuel list seams E85 is the next best option we have a carb going for modification just need to know info on fuel lines pumps etc?
Old 25 Feb 2010, 10:39 (Ref:2640248)   #2
Rusty Nail
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
Rusty Nail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going the same way as you. From what I've read fuel system needs to be able to handle about 40% more volume. What's that going to do to your logistics for endurance racing, ie fuel tank range?

Who's doing your carb?
Old 25 Feb 2010, 22:09 (Ref:2640586)   #3
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I run it on the other side of the small ditch.
Dependent on car of course, but more like 25% extra volume at WOT. But that is with injection. Over a race (of course) you would probably be looking at more like 15-20% extra in the tank.

Fuel lines, no problem for modern stuff, by nature these things are checked more often in race cars than road, but we have had people using it for 3+ years now
Always use steel cased fuel filters any way, which reminds me:
Make sure you have your tank as empty as practical, Methanol is slightly hydroscopic. So you should change filters more often, but I haven't had an issue, so a once a year item (which it was before anyway) I just work it so it only has a couple of litres in the tank (fine for moving on and of trailers, then fill the whole lot up.

Not sure of your E85 spec, but it sits ate about 109-112 RON, so you can add a lot of advance, that said best results will not be with the maximum amount because it resists detonation so well that you will actually slow the piston by starting too early. This means you will be able to add some compression with out fear. We have a Turbo car here that is running 13:1 static... plus boost... most of us have settled at 10:1 area with 2 bar, though. For an NA I would be looking at at least a full 2.0 higher to get the most out of it. But that is the sort of thing that can be done later, more about optimising the set up.

The other thing to consider, since you are throwing all this fuel in you have a little less room for air, so again, to get the most out of it the port sizes want to be a little larger, but you also need to consider that the weight of the fuel means it may drop out of the air stream easier, so still keep the air speed up (not an issue for me as I have boost to help it all along). THis may be where your 40% comes in on a V8 with crossover manifold, lots of fuel will fall out of the air stream (not really sure?)

Best bet is if your guy keeps an on Lambda not AFR, then there is little confusion, and use the best torque method, other wise you will have too much advance (especially if your engine internals are the same
Old 26 Feb 2010, 23:10 (Ref:2641215)   #4
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
Not sure on who does the carb our engine builder deals with it all I know is they arive you bolt them on and set the float heights and they are pretty much bang on and they come with a couple of diff jets and air bleeds if they not quite right. As for an enduro I reakon we will end up 2 stopping now.

Seams ATL don't have a sutible fuel bag yet?
Old 1 Mar 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2642963)   #5
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly can't see how this could possibly be an optimum set up, but if you are comfortable with it
Old 1 Mar 2010, 23:32 (Ref:2643004)   #6
chevy34
Racer

New Zealand
Timaru, South Island, NZ
The carb builder wants every little detail from the engine and then wet flow the carbs to those specs I guess when you spend the money you get the best they are aprox NZD$6500 each. On the dyno they where pretty much spot on straight away all exhaust temps perfect only a couple of small changes on the track. The engine went up average of 20hp through the range on our old carb.