Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 16 Sep 2017, 17:18 (Ref:3767471)   #2976
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by owrforever View Post
If you were the leader of the "free world," how would you solve the North Korea problem?
Go and make friends with him, he's just misunderstood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ
Old 16 Sep 2017, 18:07 (Ref:3767507)   #2977
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
great film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Falce View Post
Go and make friends with him, he's just misunderstood https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEaKX9YYHiQ
Old 16 Sep 2017, 21:38 (Ref:3767628)   #2978
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Dennis Rodman?
Old 18 Sep 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3768245)   #2979
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Well, as this is the lighter side ..One great big bomb.
I was working in US Central Command in the immediate aftermath of Sept 11 as one of a team of British liaison officers - one senior US Air Force officer of my acquaintance seriously suggested that (imagine the Southern drawl) "we have all the nukes doing nothing, it's time we made Afghanistan in to glass".

So, don't joke about it, I fully expect that the NK missile launch sites are in the target plans already.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 13:11 (Ref:3768268)   #2980
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
I was working in US Central Command in the immediate aftermath of Sept 11 as one of a team of British liaison officers - one senior US Air Force officer of my acquaintance seriously suggested that (imagine the Southern drawl) "we have all the nukes doing nothing, it's time we made Afghanistan in to glass".

So, don't joke about it, I fully expect that the NK missile launch sites are in the target plans already.
Andy, you should remember that at my (great) age I have lived through the entire 'nuclear threat years', and there is nothing funny about it especially when complete nutters have their hands on big red buttons. however, so far nothing has happened since the Japanese learnt the lesson at Hiroshima.

I guess I'll continue wishing that someone somewhere will summon up the courage to sort it all out, in a non-nuclear manner.

We have the concept of 'Mutually Assured Destruction', however I doubt a suicide bomber will be concerned about that happening so enjoy life while you can ..... The End Is Nigh!

Yours cheerfully,

Bob. Who hopes to die with a clear conscience.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:01 (Ref:3768368)   #2981
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

I recently had a conversation with a resident of Guam,surprised to hear of the 600 misile sites belonging to America,guess where they are all pointing.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 19:32 (Ref:3768381)   #2982
John Elwin
Veteran

France
Pas de Calais
John Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohn Elwin should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence View Post
I recently had a conversation with a resident of Guam,surprised to hear of the 600 misile sites belonging to America,guess where they are all pointing.
That should give Kim Il wotsit a bad hair day!
Old 18 Sep 2017, 20:07 (Ref:3768391)   #2983
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

Bob. Who hopes to die with a clear conscience.
There are those who'd think dying with a clear conscience is a bit of a waste..........depends how sensitive your conscience is, I guess
Old 18 Sep 2017, 21:07 (Ref:3768415)   #2984
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
owrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridowrforever should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On a lighter note

My wife hit the house, with the car, again! Geez; out walking the dogs, standing at the end of the driveway and heard the "crash," looked up and she had wiped out the left trim on the garage door frame & side swiped the left rear fender of the Wrangler. Once she hit, she didn't even stop, kept on going; once she did stop she reversed, and swiped everything, again, on the way out! Time to call Tip Top Body Shop, they have the color on the shelf! Sigh.
I'm beginning to think she's dangerous.
Old 18 Sep 2017, 23:06 (Ref:3768434)   #2985
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
My wife hit the house, with the car, again! Geez; out walking the dogs, standing at the end of the driveway and heard the "crash," looked up and she had wiped out the left trim on the garage door frame & side swiped the left rear fender of the Wrangler. Once she hit, she didn't even stop, kept on going; once she did stop she reversed, and swiped everything, again, on the way out! Time to call Tip Top Body Shop, they have the color on the shelf! Sigh.
I'm beginning to think she's dangerous.
Me too, based on your reports.

I'll guess that the roads around your place of residence are quite spacious in the usual American way. The garage, by comparison, not so much.

If you wished to gently put her off driving at all and forever try a trip to the UK for a self driving tour of the country (well, just London would probably be enough). Make sure that only her name is on the rental application.

That might solve your problem without you having to persuade her to give up driving.

Plan B would be to not do the repairs. The problem might stop.

One of my late aunts was in the forces as a young woman in WW2 and being posted to a base out in the countryside the only regular means of transport for everyone was a bicycle.

She had great difficulty with riding bicycles until one day when she had a fairly serious incident riding off the road into a ditch and bending the frame and forks quite a lot by all accounts. Thereafter she had no problem at all riding that particular unrepaired bike.

A more expensive alternative would be to get a newer generation car with self parking capabilities and an option to disallow certain drivers the opportunity to, say, drive the car into a garage.

Old 18 Sep 2017, 23:16 (Ref:3768436)   #2986
owrforever
Rookie

United States
America's Dairyland
I thought giving her the full width of 16 feet for her one car would solve the problem, but I was wrong. Sending her to the UK would probably put an enormous diplomatic strain on both countries. She is "high maintenance." Probably the best argument for an autonomous car, just don't know if I can afford to wait that long!
Old 19 Sep 2017, 03:19 (Ref:3768467)   #2987
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I thought giving her the full width of 16 feet for her one car would solve the problem, but I was wrong. Sending her to the UK would probably put an enormous diplomatic strain on both countries. She is "high maintenance." Probably the best argument for an autonomous car, just don't know if I can afford to wait that long!
I thought the same with regards to an autonomous car - not just for you wife but for a whole load of others too.

There are some people who, perhaps, should be encouraged to look elsewhere for their transportation needs and in that respect autonomous transport might be a great social leveller.

A lady who worked with my wife, career wise a competent professional, is only happy driving routes with which she is very familiar. So 4 miles from home into the City is OK.

4 miles from home to our village when re-deployed for a 4 month assignment was OK because she had worked here previously.

6 miles from home to another branch - a journey of all reasonable quality road miles - had her panicking and distraught as she had been promised a return to her previous journey to the city once her secondment was over. She was contemplating resigning her job due to the fear of the new journey.

It's worrying in some ways that people with that little confidence are allowed on the roads but in other ways I think it is only reasonable that they should have the same opportunities to find their level of comfort as more "involved" drivers.

Meanwhile, this ....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...h-attempt.html
Old 19 Sep 2017, 06:59 (Ref:3768504)   #2988
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
AW, you've been right to keep your dogs away…*Please note this is a forum for real gentlemen only, you got many changing suggestions - car, house, garage, door, system, country, planet - but one…
Old 19 Sep 2017, 10:08 (Ref:3768525)   #2989
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I have often wondered about the 'names' used on this forum, for instance;
VivaGT. Probably not too hard to work out, 'John Elwin'. I knew John Elwin, and why anybody would use his name as a pseudonym is quite beyond me.

Owforever, I am sure puzzled many here including my self, however, I now assume that you are forever shouting Ow! as the sound of yet another collision between vehicle and garage rings out across America.

By the way cycling is a very healthy form of transport.

Deepest sympathy.

Bauble.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 10:39 (Ref:3768529)   #2990
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I have often wondered about the 'names' used on this forum, for instance;
VivaGT. Probably not too hard to work out, 'John Elwin'. I knew John Elwin, and why anybody would use his name as a pseudonym is quite beyond me.

Owforever, I am sure puzzled many here including my self, however, I now assume that you are forever shouting Ow! as the sound of yet another collision between vehicle and garage rings out across America.

By the way cycling is a very healthy form of transport.

Deepest sympathy.

Bauble.
I find it odd when someone who has chosen to name himself after a Christmas decoration has the nerve to question other peoples choices...
Old 19 Sep 2017, 10:56 (Ref:3768530)   #2991
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
I find it odd when someone who has chosen to name himself after a Christmas decoration has the nerve to question other peoples choices...
It would have been far more transparent if Bob had chosen the username of "Load of Bull". Would have been far more suitable!
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:03 (Ref:3768531)   #2992
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Oooh! Er!

Listen to 'er, touchy or what?

Dear Fairy Cake,
I was certainly not questioning, ridiculing, or mocking your sobriquet, I feel you are far to sensitive about your manhood. Grow a bigger one, and man up mate.

Bauble who is
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3768532)   #2993
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Oooh! Er!

Listen to 'er, touchy or what?

Dear Fairy Cake,
I was certainly not questioning, ridiculing, or mocking your sobriquet, I feel you are far to sensitive about your manhood. Grow a bigger one, and man up mate.

Bauble who is
I've never found the 'sport' of fishing at all appealing, but I thought my comments would get a quick bite from you mate!
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:05 (Ref:3768533)   #2994
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
It would have been far more transparent if Bob had chosen the username of "Load of Bull". Would have been far more suitable!

I haven't the heart to question your motives in causing me such pain Mike, I suppose that you and Viv are just good friends.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:20 (Ref:3768537)   #2995
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Have I somehow accidentally joined a twitter group that has cloned TenTenths?
Old 19 Sep 2017, 11:47 (Ref:3768540)   #2996
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Have I somehow accidentally joined a twitter group that has cloned TenTenths?
I think sometimes the 'i' could be replaced by another vowel......
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:14 (Ref:3768546)   #2997
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Sorry Bob this made me laugh and I need cheering up.
Old 19 Sep 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3768548)   #2998
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Thanks delta, I'll consider that as 'mission accomplished' then...
Old 19 Sep 2017, 13:35 (Ref:3768558)   #2999
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Iain you should have said you needed cheering up, a man of your distinction should have to rely on the inane witterings of Viv. Try this;

THE SMART VET
The only cow in a small town in England stopped giving milk.**
However, the town folk found they could buy a cow in Scotland quite cheaply.**
So, they brought the cow down from Scotland.*
It was wonderful,*it produced lots of milk daily and everyone was happy.

They then bought a bull to mate with the cow to produce more cows,so they'd
never*have to worry about their milk supply* again.*
They put the bull out to pasture with the cow, but*whenever the bull tried to
mount the cow,**the* cow would move away.*
No matter what approach the bull tried,*the cow would move away from the bull,*
and he was never able to do the deed.

The townsfolk were very disappointed and decided to go to*their* local Veterinarian
to ask his advice.

They explained to him. "Whenever the bull tries to mount our cow,she moves away.*

If he approaches from the back, she moves forward.*
When he approaches her from the front, she backs off.*
If he attempts it from the one side, she walks away to the other side."

The Vet rubbed his chin and pondered for awhile, before asking,

"Did you by any chance, buy this cow in Scotland ?"

The townsfolk were amazed. No one had ever mentioned to him*that this cow*came
from*Scotland.*

"You are truly a most knowledgeable Vet!"* They exclaimed.

"How ever could you know that we got the cow from Scotland ?"

The Vet replied with a far away look in his eye.*"My wife comes from Scotland. "
Old 19 Sep 2017, 13:41 (Ref:3768559)   #3000
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent