Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Sep 2002, 04:51 (Ref:374207)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Next year...

"With Montoya, we might be as strong in 2003 as we were in 1992 with Mansell,” he said. “When he was our team driver, he suddenly turned out to be unbeatable."

I dont think comments like this make for great team harmony, even if its true. The rest of the article from F1-live was about them being willing to risk more in next years design. It seems FW feels it is more than likely that a title challenge will be coming from the Columbian. Is it just me or is everyone else dying for next season already?
BAR is going to have a redesigned car (again). Jordan with Ford. Williams making promises. Renault... they are where Jordan and BAR were a couple of years ago, look what happened to them. Toyotas worst season in racing . I know I cant wait!
Old 6 Sep 2002, 06:44 (Ref:374230)   #2
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel there's more chance of a decent challenge coming from McLaren rather than Williams. With John Sutton coming on board from Ferrari and Mercedes putting in a lot more effort back in Germany to help Ilmor. Adrian Newey, Kimi Raikkonen... They've got all the right ingredients.

I suppose a lot, too, will depend on how good the Michelin tyres are... All we can do is hope someone can take the fight to Ferrari, but it looks quite bleak to me.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 08:10 (Ref:374269)   #3
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im not sure , with the flair that Kimi ,and Juan can show , if either gets a decent car , im sure we will see something interesting coming from those guys.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 08:24 (Ref:374281)   #4
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only just hope its better than this year!!!
Old 6 Sep 2002, 09:10 (Ref:374306)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm disillusioned. I don't think next year will be much different to this year (ie no overtaking and Ferrari dominance, with their two drivers not racing each other).
Old 6 Sep 2002, 10:18 (Ref:374359)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I just posted on another thread about Williams seeking closer co-operation with McLaren on tyre development; this is the strategy needed to counter the Bridgestone/Ferrari partnership. With Willliams it needs to be JPM, because I cannot envisage Ralf taking the fight to his brother. At McLaren, they will need Kimi to be their fighter, with backup from DC.

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 6 Sep 2002 at 10:19.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 10:41 (Ref:374375)   #7
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
I agree about the drivers, but how much good will the co-operation on tyres be? Ferrari and Bridgestone can start at the design phase together, whereas Williams and Mclaren have completely different cars. Co-operation will improve things, but won't get close to the advantage Ferrari have with dedicated tyre support. Also the idea of those 2 teams working together...?
Old 6 Sep 2002, 11:40 (Ref:374427)   #8
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Also, how much can be gained from "co-operating?" Williams and McLaren will do this only if each thinks they have an advantage (or will gain the ultimate advantage) over the other. Otherwise why not just design a "McWilliams?"

Each team needs to lean hard on Michelin to get the tires they want/need AFTER they design a chassis that can utilize them.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 11:55 (Ref:374445)   #9
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rergarding Williams, I am almost 100% certain they've used this year as a development year for next season - this years FW24 looks pretty terrible, there are no bargeboards in sight, they don't have a twin-keel and the engine output hasn't really increased much since 2002. I fail to see how they could make so little progress.

Next year, they will be BIG! You heard it from me
Old 6 Sep 2002, 16:12 (Ref:374664)   #10
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
This seems to be what FW is saying too. In the last race MS was lapping 2 seconds per lap quicker than JPM at times. With this pace from the Bridgestone/Ferrari it seems the race next year is already run. I expect to see a tougher race between 2nd through 4th. IMO 1st is already decided. The only way the Bridgestone car can fall next year is through their own fault.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 17:49 (Ref:374752)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Montoya does have much more potential to challenge for the title than Ralf, remember that its only his second year. Ralf seems to lack the ultimate killer instinct, and barring Zanardi has lost out to every team-mate.

Same goes for Kimi being a better bet than Coulthard, but Ron will always support DC the most (so much for all the people who used to say Ron favouritised Mika- Ron simply values long term stability in the drivers and technical staff).

Frank is less conciliatory when it comes to driver relations than Ron, remember his public criticism of Damon during 1995 and 1996, but so far Ralf has been stung into life by Frank's comments before the German race. Can it happen for Ralf in the long term? I doubt it, and I know many on here do as well.

The problem Williams have if that if the 2003 car is too radical, they could slip up on reliability, which would give the title to Ferrari (even if Michael was slower than Montoya in every race, Montoya would need at least 12 wins (ie only 5 retirements) to make the crown safe, Ferrari look unlikely to ever break down). Maybe 2004?????
Old 6 Sep 2002, 18:38 (Ref:374777)   #12
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMHO, if M. Schumacher retires tomorrow, Rubens will be WDC in 2003. 2005 - maybe some change in the pecking order. Sleep tight folks.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 19:55 (Ref:374843)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
Hope your right DNQ, Thats what Frank Williams is saying too!

From www.autosport.com

"Next year we won't repeat the mistake of not risking enough," said Williams. "We'll prove our technological boldness and present a revolutionary FW25."

The 60-year-old team boss also has great faith in his newly re-signed driver Juan Pablo Montoya and suggested that a new Williams golden era could be near.

"With Montoya we might be as strong in 2003 as we were with Nigel Mansell. When he was our team driver, he suddenly turned out to be unbeatable," he said.

Doesn't he think that Rafe will be the one making the challenge though?
Old 6 Sep 2002, 19:56 (Ref:374846)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steve has it in one. If TGF is still driving next year, the 2003 WDC is already signed, sealed and delivered to him.

Why even bother?
Old 6 Sep 2002, 20:26 (Ref:374866)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Because i remain ever the optimist!
Old 6 Sep 2002, 23:11 (Ref:374939)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr Williams is going to have to pull off something special to even get close to Ferrari. The fact is they are just so far ahead of everyone else.
Old 6 Sep 2002, 23:26 (Ref:374946)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Ferrari has the entire package: drivers, the black box genius, chassis, reliable and powerful engine, super gearbox, tyres that complement the chassis and suspension, aero, and not least - the brains of Brawn.

Valve
Old 7 Sep 2002, 00:59 (Ref:374994)   #18
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari win eleven races next year. Williams four mclaren three, Sauber finish fourth in the championship, Minardi finish in the top eight, maybe the top six.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 01:00 (Ref:374996)   #19
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whoops make that three races each for Mclaren and Williams. Reubens will win three times.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 01:01 (Ref:374997)   #20
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
.......and I win Powerball.

Valve
Old 7 Sep 2002, 01:15 (Ref:375009)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't hold much hope of anything really changing next year unless Michelin really pick their game up, and Williams/McLaren design brilliant cars.
Old 7 Sep 2002, 01:18 (Ref:375014)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
......and SchM has incurable migraine

Valve
Old 7 Sep 2002, 01:46 (Ref:375022)   #23
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I predict the McLarens will be a serious threat to Ferrari next year, Williams i doubt they would be much of a problem if they still adopt the same chassis....this year's chassis seemed to be a copy of last year's. Plain awful lot of designers, no wonder BMW might want to enter on their own in future
Old 7 Sep 2002, 03:37 (Ref:375062)   #24
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally posted by AllonFS
I agree about the drivers, but how much good will the co-operation on tyres be? Ferrari and Bridgestone can start at the design phase together, whereas Williams and Mclaren have completely different cars. Co-operation will improve things, but won't get close to the advantage Ferrari have with dedicated tyre support. Also the idea of those 2 teams working together...?
I agree too. The cooperation between BMW/Williams and Mercedes/McLaren will only probably produce a mediocre tyre for both teams.

Williams' tribulations are due most of all to their very poor judgement in dealing with other people. They believed they could treat any of their own like trash or deny them the credit they deserved (Damon Hill and Adrian Newey are but two examples) and now they are paying the price fot that loss of talent. I expect Mercedes/McLaren to be a much bigger threat to Ferrari than Williams. Kimi will take the fight to Ferrari but I believe that Schumi is a sure bet to take the sixth.

Frank's rumblings seem to be little more than a case of "Montoyitis". He shouldn't believe his own propaganda anymore if he wants to streighten out the team...or else, he'll risk losing the BMW engine.

Cheers,

RT

Old 7 Sep 2002, 06:05 (Ref:375093)   #25
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Although I have never liked Frank's treatment of his drivers, I must say that I have never considered his statements as propaganda. To address a few rumblings here at the same time, first of all, Frank stated that he will go for a more revolutionary chassis for next year. Second, there is a definite requirement for both Williams and McLaren to have similar requirements for tyres ( and that is what they are banking on as well as pooling test data) so that Michelin can concentrate on one type of tyres that would suit both cars, rather than a compromise that would suit neither. And thirdly, while I think it is unfair to single out JPM to be the Williams saviour ahead of his team mate, can anyone here honestly believe that Ralf will take the fight to his brother?

Valve

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 7 Sep 2002 at 06:10.