Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 22 Mar 2012, 21:00 (Ref:3046795)   #26
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a long way down there Mike, two drivers in that FH of yours would make it much easier
Old 23 Mar 2012, 06:37 (Ref:3046952)   #27
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McKay View Post
It's a long way down there Mike, two drivers in that FH of yours would make it much easier
Colin, will send you a pm.

Having raced my FF2000 down there last year, what isn't clear from the above press release is the situation with other races such as F3 / FJ / Monoposto that were part of the programme then. Fortunately have a choice of JD Classics Touring cars or GTSCC- if by Oct have got any tyres with life left in them!
Old 23 Mar 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3046956)   #28
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So I presume this is for Portimao? And that Portimao is definately happening? Its just that the thread title is a bit misleading.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 08:44 (Ref:3046974)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMD View Post
So I presume this is for Portimao? And that Portimao is definately happening? Its just that the thread title is a bit misleading.
I think thread title needs to remain 'organic' until everything confirmed! Still the odd question to be answered.......
Old 23 Mar 2012, 16:22 (Ref:3047154)   #30
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So there are definitely 2 race meetings the same weekend.

Francisco sent me this:

I am running the Estoril Historic Festival and from what Duncan told me on Tuesday (and is confirmed in his press release) he will continue (with Carol and Vanessa) in Portimão because the circuit's CEO has assured them everything will be in place and Ok for them to run the event there. All I told Duncan and Carol is that they should cross their fingers...and remember the risks I pointed out to them.

The Estoril Historic Festival will have HFO (confirmed in MOU and by Dan Collins), two combined grids for Formula 2/Formula 3 and the smaller formulae (FF, FV, F1430 and F Vauxhall Jr), and grids for Touring and GTs, and Sports Prototypes apart from a grid for Iberian Gentleman Drivers.

We also expect that Duncan Rabagliatti - as I understood from the last two times we spoke at Race Retro and on the phone - will come to Estoril with FJ.

Early next week I shall have all the details finalized and will issue a Newsletter with them prior to the launching of the event either on the 18th or 19th depending on the commitments the Mayor of Cascais who is supporting us.

Best regards

Francisco
Old 23 Mar 2012, 16:58 (Ref:3047170)   #31
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Oh dear, worst fears are realised! Not sure that two meetings is going to work............

Old 23 Mar 2012, 17:08 (Ref:3047178)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Mmmm, just read that the WTCC have moved their ESTORIL meeting scheduled for June 2/3 to PORTIMAO on same weekend, so there is obviously time for the October Historic meeting to yo-yo back and forth a few times yet. .......
Seems so.

Quote:
Oh dear, worst fears are realised! Not sure that two meetings is going to work............

Daft, may be the word you are seeking. For my part I'm out of contract end Sept so although I have some commitments in October, I had planned on being at this event, wherever it is held, but if they run two events on the same weekend...........................
Old 23 Mar 2012, 19:11 (Ref:3047214)   #33
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I had planned on being at this event, wherever it is held, but if they run two events on the same weekend...........................
Simples, Peter- two weeks holiday, first at Cascais with Estoril racing on end Saturday. Mad dash to Alvor for second week and in time to see races on Sunday. Or if you want to race, with your Capri and B it could only be Portimao...... At the moment, anyway.
Old 23 Mar 2012, 19:15 (Ref:3047218)   #34
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
At the moment, anyway.
In a nutshell.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 14:14 (Ref:3050852)   #35
DAYTONASME
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oulton Park's my local
DAYTONASME should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to Francisco, with differences unresolved; both meetings at Parkalgar and Estoril (FS Eventos), will go ahead on the same weekend.

E
Old 30 Mar 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3050856)   #36
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I detect the makings of a Portugese civil war!
Old 30 Mar 2012, 15:38 (Ref:3050891)   #37
compte deGraves
Veteran

France
Charente, France
compte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcompte deGraves should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I detect the makings of a Portugese civil war!
Don't worry John, they cannot afford one.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 16:12 (Ref:3050901)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by compte deGraves View Post
Don't worry John, they cannot afford one.

Where is Harry Hill when you need him!

But seriously, I sensed it would be the case there are two meetings. Very sad if it happens as will finish up with two small / medium size ones instead of one big one. I guess Francisco will be pushing his single seat grids at Estoril, while the GT, Sports Racers and saloons series from outside Portugal will be at Parkalgar.
Old 30 Mar 2012, 20:03 (Ref:3051001)   #39
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a barmy situation. I would have thought that meetings on consecutive weekends would interest a lot of people to do both and have five days holiday in between.
Send the organisers a message - don't go to either!
Old 31 Mar 2012, 21:47 (Ref:3051446)   #40
awseng
Rookie

Scotland
awseng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well its a shame that one good event may be fragmented into two small events that no one will want to go back too, they need to sort this out i think or in 20123 they may have no historic events
Old 1 Apr 2012, 09:14 (Ref:3051618)   #41
AndrewF31
Veteran

Canada
Spain
AndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndrewF31 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hah the one thing Portuguese are good at is shooting themselves in the foot.

The only thing I've seen here is a press release from Portimão saying the event was a go so I thought Estoril was a scam to hussle more money. Probably it was and nobody bit the bait so the Estoril guys are still at it. Problem is, as already mentioned, Portugal is kinda bankrupt at the moment! Therefore, running 2 events is the most useless thing ever and especially on the same weekend. They are messing with the people who make them their money... the competitors, which they'll probably lose with these circus acts.
I hope someone is reading this stuff.

They better get their acts together because 7 months to go and people need to plan flights and logistics.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3051748)   #42
Terry Nightingale
Rookie

Terry Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Estoril(nee Algarve) Historic Festival

Hi Guy's,
I now live down on the Eastern Algarve and the local papers reported a couple of weeks ago that the Autodromo do Algarve was in serious financial problems over non payment of bills to a number of companies. The sums are quite considerable and it is all going to Court but as this is Portugal that could take at least five years. The Autodromo has nothing to do with the Portuguese Government it is a private company whereas Estoril I believe is owned by the local council and is leased out. Unfortunately the only loosers in all this are the competitors.
Terry Nightingale
Old 1 Apr 2012, 17:39 (Ref:3051848)   #43
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I might just stick two fingers up to both a go too Imola that weekend.
Old 1 Apr 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3051904)   #44
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
I might just stick two fingers up to both a go too Imola that weekend.
Hey Iain, that isn't on the tenths calendar. Lurani and Pre 66 F1? So with FJs supposedly at Estoril as well, that is another dilemma? Think I would be joining you at Imola if hadn't got full load for Portimao. We will see, at moment satnav is not programmed..........
Old 3 Apr 2012, 10:29 (Ref:3052791)   #45
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFurness View Post
Slightly off topic but Portugal have now introduced toll charges on most of their motorways but there are no pay stations on the motorways.

It's all done by cameras reading number plates. Residents can have some sort of transponder fitted to the car which automatically deducts the toll fee from an account.

Visitors can buy/hire a prepaid card and put credit onto it. The card cost can be reclaimed but any unused credit is lost.

Alternatively you can pay at a post office or toll office which are dotted around the towns but you can only pay a day after you have been on the motorway. So if your last journey is back to the airport or leaving the country you cannot pay.

If its not paid within 5 days you get a demand and/or a fine through the post.

There is no "online" facility.

Hire car companies are obliged to give your details to the toll operator. Some hire companies are arranging with customers to pay any outstanding toll some are not.

Its all a bit of a mess, hopefully it will be sorted before October.

Mrs F and I are out there in May.

Steve
spose you have to pay yer EU loan guarantees to build motorways, remember how it was to n' fro Spain/Portugal 60's early 70's...
Vila Formosa wi an ATA carnet...
Old 3 Apr 2012, 11:32 (Ref:3052831)   #46
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by p261brm View Post
spose you have to pay yer EU loan guarantees to build motorways, remember how it was to n' fro Spain/Portugal 60's early 70's...
Vila Formosa wi an ATA carnet...
It was still like that in early 90s when we used to cross over for Rally de Portugal! God, those carnets- makes me shudder just thinking about the paperwork we used to carry while crossing europe.....
Old 3 Apr 2012, 11:53 (Ref:3052836)   #47
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carnets were our bread & butter, a wonderful invention! Most folk were terrified of getting something wrong and our margins halved when the borders came down, but what an exercise it was producing them on a typewriter. These things remain in the collective conciousness for years, we still get calls from folk asking us to do T-forms for European stuff.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 17:47 (Ref:3053020)   #48
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
OK change of plans,just had an e mail from Jim saying that the touring car race will be called the "John Fitzpatric touring car race" so we could be taking the Galaxie.John will also be one of the steward 's of the meeting.
This would work out well if the FJ race is on I can just put the Lotus 22 in the back of the Galaxie.
Should be fun,be good also if Fitz would do a couple of demo laps in her.
Old 3 Apr 2012, 19:16 (Ref:3053081)   #49
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
So is that at Estoril, Parkalgar or Imola.........
Old 3 Apr 2012, 19:26 (Ref:3053087)   #50
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
So is that at Estoril, Parkalgar or Imola.........
Hmm.

Does anyone else find 'Parkalgar' to be a rather, erm, 'ugly' name?