Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Aug 2013, 03:33 (Ref:3296447)   #1251
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
The FIA gave clear instruction to Pirelli about what sort of tyres it should make. They were given a mandate and they are obviously carrying out that mandate because they aren't getting it in the neck from the FIA with regard to why their tyres are lasting too long.
This is what pings me off the most. People seem to think that Pirelli have gone out on a limb and done all this at their own behest. It was an edict from the FIA to make the tyres to a particular specification. They did exactly what the FIA wanted, and the teams cracked the poos.

The right response would have been for the teams to work with the tyres within the parameters set by the FIA. For some reason the teams think they are above the FIA.

I didn't follow the sport in the 70s (wasn't born) or 80s (too young) but the FISA/FOCA war seems to have ended with the teams and Bernie having too much power. The teams deserved a fair share of the revenue and what not, but the FIA should be the folk determining the rules and regs - in consultation, sure; but the final decision is theirs.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 22:37 (Ref:3300315)   #1252
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It looks like Pirelli will get the all clear from the FIA to supply tyres to F1 next year because it is what the teams want.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109741
Old 8 Sep 2013, 00:53 (Ref:3300338)   #1253
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a relief, Marbot !
Old 8 Sep 2013, 14:22 (Ref:3300493)   #1254
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi View Post
What a relief, Marbot !

It's not done yet. The teams still have to agree with the FIA on the matter. I wonder if they will?
Old 8 Sep 2013, 15:15 (Ref:3300533)   #1255
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
From Tony Purnell on improving F1

http://www.pitpass.com/49081/Making-...One-Step-Three

"One of my Cambridge students (Ruth Buscombe now at Ferrari) produced a compelling study showing that although the number of overtakes and 'battles' had risen considerably with the coming of DRS, in fact 85% of this increase was due to the characteristics of the tyres. At the time this was a striking result and great credit goes to Ruth for mining the available data to reach this conclusion.

What this all means is that the FIA now has a much better idea of how to make good entertaining races. If the tyres were replaced by non-degrading solutions, then there would be ways (fuel conservation comes to mind) to replicate the cliff-edge tyres. In addition the better understanding of how DRS works - and perhaps fails to work - gives opportunity to tweak the system again with entertainment firmly in mind.

Once again it is the regulators, the FIA, who should decide on policy and act upon it. Pirelli shouldn't be the arbitrators of how races entertain, it must be the FIA."
Rid of the DRS, please. We only need one 'gimmick', not two.

Selby
Old 8 Sep 2013, 18:01 (Ref:3300607)   #1256
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
The fact that we are relying on a tyre maker to 'spice up' the action at all says all we need to know about F1 these days.

Michelin have an interesting ideas on how they would approach F1, perhaps the FIA should revisit multiple tyre supply and see whose ideas work best. On the basis that each supplier has to supply a minimum of 3 teams with exactly the same tyres, no team specific specials.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 19:13 (Ref:3300632)   #1257
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
It looks like Pirelli will get the all clear from the FIA to supply tyres to F1 next year because it is what the teams want.

Throughout this whole Pirelli saga all I seem to hear is " the team's wanted this and the team's wanted that " but I have not actually read anything anywhere to support that . I hope Michelin do come in next year, New car,New engines and new regulations might as well go with new tyres .
Old 8 Sep 2013, 19:51 (Ref:3300643)   #1258
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

As Pirelli are also a major trackside sponsor I can't see any other teams coming in, even if they wanted to.
Old 8 Sep 2013, 20:27 (Ref:3300651)   #1259
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Looks like its going to be Pirelli's only for the next 5 years according to Autosport, it just needs final 'i's dotted 't's crossed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109752

I think this thread has a few more years in it!
Old 8 Sep 2013, 20:33 (Ref:3300653)   #1260
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Looks like its going to be Pirelli's only for the next 5 years according to Autosport, it just needs final 'i's dotted 't's crossed.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109752

I think this thread has a few more years in it!
you are just kidding aren't you..
Old 9 Sep 2013, 02:14 (Ref:3300767)   #1261
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The teams can still stop this from happening. The question is: Will they?
Old 9 Sep 2013, 02:40 (Ref:3300772)   #1262
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
you are just kidding aren't you..
That'll teach ya!

Old 9 Sep 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3300851)   #1263
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mot...18-season.html
Old 9 Sep 2013, 13:44 (Ref:3301003)   #1264
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Pirelli is safe ! The story goes on... tell us Marbot !
Old 9 Sep 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3301137)   #1265
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
FIA President Jean Todt rubber stamps Pirelli deal. I'm sure no pun was intended.

Old 9 Sep 2013, 19:54 (Ref:3301155)   #1266
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

No pun indeed !
Old 10 Sep 2013, 10:39 (Ref:3301413)   #1267
321Go
Veteran

Formula E car launched. Love the look of the 18" Michelins.

Old 10 Sep 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3301426)   #1268
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Nice , would look awesome on an F1 car .
Old 10 Sep 2013, 11:58 (Ref:3301445)   #1269
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
At least at the rear...

Selby
Old 10 Sep 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3301488)   #1270
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm hardly a Pirelli fan but lately (last two races) I really have nothing to whinge about tyre-wise. So congratulations I guess on the new contract but PLEASE don't F it up with radical changes next year and we'll be OK!

Marbot - Send the bribe money to me care of Tenths.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 20:40 (Ref:3301659)   #1271
jsTrecu
Veteran

jsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjsTrecu should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

I think it looks great.
2019 maybe...
Old 10 Sep 2013, 23:19 (Ref:3301761)   #1272
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

At least looks like a modern car and not like a mower on balloon tyres!

Maybe John Deere would be interested in sponsoring a team!
Old 10 Sep 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3301762)   #1273
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Dreaded double post.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 23:26 (Ref:3301763)   #1274
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
At least at the rear...

Selby
Here's a shot of the Spark Renault Srt 01e.

The front wheels seem ok.

Old 11 Sep 2013, 08:10 (Ref:3301915)   #1275
321Go
Veteran

Formula E will run the same tyre in wet and dry conditions.