Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Apr 2012, 12:58 (Ref:3060197)   #1
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
MJones94 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DTM on ITV4

Did anyone else see the ITV4 motorsports coverage line up in the adverts in between the BTCC coverage? DTM was included which is interesting. I imagine the British drivers competing in the championship were pushing for british coverage of the season, so a good job on their part. From what I make out, the coverage will be highlights, yet it is good news for us freeview viewers.

The only 2 main problems that I can think of are:

1) Will it be watched by anyone? (Who in Britain knows of DTM. I'm guessing not much)
2) Will the showings be at ridiculous times like 4am or something?

Obviously, in recent years, the DTM has been a borefest with just 2 manufacturers and way too many aero parts, yet with BMW returning and maybe more to come(?) I'm hoping it can be a success.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 13:05 (Ref:3060202)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I hadn't spotted the fact that ITV4 would be covering the DTM - I did notice that the Dunlop ads on when they go to a break featured a Crowne Plaza BMW (I assume a GT car from the bodywork - didn't look like a S2000 car and the DTM cars are on Hankooks). Good news if the DTM will be on freeview - I'll set that up to record on series link
Old 16 Apr 2012, 13:14 (Ref:3060211)   #3
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I hadn't spotted the fact that ITV4 would be covering the DTM - I did notice that the Dunlop ads on when they go to a break featured a Crowne Plaza BMW (I assume a GT car from the bodywork - didn't look like a S2000 car and the DTM cars are on Hankooks). Good news if the DTM will be on freeview - I'll set that up to record on series link
Yes it will be another series to add to my recorded archive! The mention of DTM was so quick as I had to rewind to make sure that I wasn't seeing things as they were going through all the motorsport series that ITV4 would be covering.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:15 (Ref:3060240)   #4
slummingangel
Racer

Ireland
slummingangel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It was the last ad before the start of the third btcc race. I can't wait just need to find out when they'll be showing them
Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:23 (Ref:3060248)   #5
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Green, Paffett and Priaulx are serious contenders, so I hope the championship picks some interest in the Isles with the new coverage. Good luck!
Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:37 (Ref:3060267)   #6
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Glad i wasn't the only one who 'thought' i was seeing things...
Old 16 Apr 2012, 14:38 (Ref:3060269)   #7
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was definitely there. Hopefully it'll be on at a sensible time. If not, at least I can record with my box...
Old 16 Apr 2012, 15:36 (Ref:3060310)   #8
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope the races aren't shown weeks after they take place. I'd like to check out the new DTM to see how good it is, and to follow Priaulx in the series, but if it's really delayed I think I'll struggle to get into it. Hope its at most 1 week after the race.

And thank you ITV, great to see more motorsport on freeview
Old 16 Apr 2012, 15:51 (Ref:3060323)   #9
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Brilliant news. ITV4 is the best channel for freeview motorsports already, and this adds to it.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 16:25 (Ref:3060349)   #10
Daniel Clarke
Rookie

United Kingdom
Snetterton, UK
Daniel Clarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw the trailer yesterday between BTCC races. Looking forward to hearing more information on the coverage!
Old 16 Apr 2012, 16:43 (Ref:3060358)   #11
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where's the live UK coverage? ESPN?

DTM isn't too unpopular here, a few know it from computer games and such. It just needs a breakthrough on TV.

I will never ever understand why people would rather watch the hairdryers that are in the BTCC than the monsters of the DTM. The racing may be good but there comes a point when the cars are too pathetic. BMW racing, but not even with an 'M' in that series...
Old 16 Apr 2012, 17:03 (Ref:3060372)   #12
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
I think 2012 will be the rejuvenation of the series what with BMW coming back and less aero parts. If the ITV4 coverage proves successful, then that might prompt more brands to join the series (I hope!). Having said that, 3 is a good number and much better than 2!
Old 16 Apr 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3060373)   #13
morningview66
Racer

morningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmorningview66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We havent been dealt a bad hand in terms of motorsports on Freeview in the UK this year.

i know BBC F1 travesty but there are still highlights and some races.
BTCC (supports) - ITV 4
DTM - ITV 4
UK Motorsports - ITV 4 (whatever this is, it was in the little ad too, had a Alpina B6 GT3 graphic, i didnt think ADAC GT Masters was UK motorsport
British F3 - Chanel 4
British GT - Chanel 4
FIA GT1 World Champ - Chanel 4 (good highlights package but on way stupid time 4am :S)

Just bring the WRC back somewhere....
Old 16 Apr 2012, 17:11 (Ref:3060375)   #14
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post

I couldn't agree more. The way that ITV4 have really got behind motorsport coverage and transformed series in some cases is very admirable. BSB and the TT also feature too, yet not car motorsport.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 17:33 (Ref:3060387)   #15
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Superbikes, Moto GP and British Rallycross are all on freeview too (ITV4, BBC and Channel 4 respectively)
Old 16 Apr 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3060399)   #16
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Live or Live-on-Tape? Because of the many clashes between DTM and BTCC I think it might be the latter, or they show DTM between the first two BTCC races.

But that's still good news for the DTM. ITV4 is still ITV after all, so they have a very good chance to reach out to a broader audience.

While we're at it, DTM has also secured a Spanish TV deal: http://www.motorsport-total.com/dtm/..._12041301.html

A live tv deal on a Spanish FTA sports channel doesn't sound too bad, does it? Although I admit my lack of knowledge of Spanish tv.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 18:45 (Ref:3060421)   #17
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has there actually been an announcement regarding ITV4 and the DTM?
Old 16 Apr 2012, 18:59 (Ref:3060428)   #18
MJones94
Racer

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce View Post
Has there actually been an announcement regarding ITV4 and the DTM?
Well after seeing the advert mentioning ITV4's coverage of the DTM, I went on the website, yet when I searched 'DTM', nothing came up. The season starts 29/04/2012 so you would have hoped that ITV would have released a press release. Or maybe I am not looking hard enough.

It will be interesting to see who will be the commentator, I really hope it is not the guy (Don't know his name) who does it for the DTM UK highlights on the website. I mean you get used to him after a while, yet he just isn't sharp enough and seems capable of only speaking sentences of less than 7 words. I'm sure some other people on here would have seen him as well.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 19:39 (Ref:3060448)   #19
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
I would assume it will be highlights only package as the BTCC commitments would preclude any live coverage.

ITV4 schedule for 29/04/12 already has usual 7 hours of live BTCC coverage. There's no mention of DTM in the schedules for the following week.

ESPN are showing tape delay coverage on Sunday night and Sky Sports 3 & 4 have a one hour highlights package later in the week, although I realise these are not on Freeview.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3060450)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
Well after seeing the advert mentioning ITV4's coverage of the DTM, I went on the website, yet when I searched 'DTM', nothing came up. The season starts 29/04/2012 so you would have hoped that ITV would have released a press release. Or maybe I am not looking hard enough.
I had a look on the website too - and frankly it's crap. Couldn't find any info
Old 16 Apr 2012, 21:58 (Ref:3060532)   #21
wheelsportaddict
Racer

England
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
wheelsportaddict should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJones94 View Post
Did anyone else see the ITV4 motorsports coverage line up in the adverts in between the BTCC coverage? DTM was included which is interesting. I imagine the British drivers competing in the championship were pushing for british coverage of the season, so a good job on their part. From what I make out, the coverage will be highlights, yet it is good news for us freeview viewers.

The only 2 main problems that I can think of are:

1) Will it be watched by anyone? (Who in Britain knows of DTM. I'm guessing not much)
2) Will the showings be at ridiculous times like 4am or something?

Obviously, in recent years, the DTM has been a borefest with just 2 manufacturers and way too many aero parts, yet with BMW returning and maybe more to come(?) I'm hoping it can be a success.
It will only be a highlights package I suspect as ESPN have the rights to the live coverage, but yes I will be watching. Well done the ITV4.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 07:54 (Ref:3060726)   #22
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No official online feed then? Sucks living in America sometimes when you're interested in mostly foreign racing series!
Old 17 Apr 2012, 08:09 (Ref:3060735)   #23
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
No official online feed then? Sucks living in America sometimes when you're interested in mostly foreign racing series!
Goes both ways. I love the American racing scene and it can be tough getting to watch what you want sometimes.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 12:38 (Ref:3060902)   #24
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Goes both ways. I love the American racing scene and it can be tough getting to watch what you want sometimes.
I generally find it easier to keep up with American racing than most the European stuff actually, seeing as it is generally on late evening our time and is fairly easy to find an online stream.

I was contacted by an ITV representitive after I mentioned this on Twitter, and he confirmed it is a highlights package on the Saturday following a race. No mention of how long the broadcasts will be or who will be doing the commentary, but good news anyway. Hopefully DTM racing is more exciting this season than it has been in the last few years...

Great that ITV4 are picking up more rights to racing. I remember when they showed live coverage of the FIA GT1 championship a couple of seasons ago, and that featured some cracking racing.
Old 17 Apr 2012, 15:20 (Ref:3060974)   #25
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by morningview66 View Post

It was destined for ITV4 this year, before the WRC lost its promoter.