Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 25 Jun 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1640706)   #1
JimboJames
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
JimboJames should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Asian F3 - Zhuhai, China

Hi. My mate has posted some pictures on the internet from rounds 4/5/6 of the Asian Formula Three Championship - at Zhuhai China.

They had well over 20,000 spectators on the Sunday (no Bullsh*t), I was there and was totally amazed!

I've never heard of such a big crowd to watch F3 - apart from the special events like Macau and Zandvoort.

It was my first time a Zhuhai, and I have to say they did an excellent job. Very organized and well promoted (obviously!).

It's a shame the 3rd race was washed out, but a good weekend never-the-less.

Sorry about the quality of some of the pics

http://www.motorracingindustry.com/i...%20June%202006

Last edited by JimboJames; 25 Jun 2006 at 09:02.
Old 26 Jun 2006, 03:06 (Ref:1641267)   #2
Monkey Head
Veteran

Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Monkey Head should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
'They had well over 20,000 spectators on the Sunday (no Bullsh*t), I was there and was totally amazed'

in case that os FREE acsess
Old 26 Jun 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1641421)   #3
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
AstroBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even if it was free, that's still a big turn out to watch a Formula Three championship event.

It's good for Formula Three, and great for motorsport in Asia.

With those sort of figures, it looks like we might actually get a decent crowd to the Malaysian and Chinese GP's.

I might have to get off my butt and hop on the ferry to the next F3 race at Zhuhai!
Old 29 Jun 2006, 07:10 (Ref:1643911)   #4
Asa
Veteran

Hong Kong
Disneyland
Asa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Head
in case that os FREE acsess
Even free access they had to actually drive or take bus all the way to the circuit from town and then spend the whole afternoon at the circuit. These are real race fans.
Old 30 Jun 2006, 22:51 (Ref:1645372)   #5
Noisy
Racer

Angola
Noisy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
F3 Asia is very poor this year. No Mikola, no Jones, no Hara and no Avila.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1645513)   #6
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
No, Asian F3 is going really well this year. As far as the popularity of the series is concerned they are getting crowds of 20,000+.

The Live Television coverage of each event is getting good ratings, and growing for each event.

As far has the drivers:

Mikola now races for A1 Team Indonesia

Jones did some A1 driving

Avila is racing Formula Three in the UK

And O’hara is running his own team in Asian F3.

So this is all good news for Asian F3 because it demonstrates that it is giving drivers the opportunity to progress their careers.

And while these 4 drivers have left Asian F3, the category has picked up the following drivers for this year.

Ali Jackson (Ireland)

Dillon Battistini (Great Britain)

Satria Hermanto (Indonesia)

Bagoes Hermanto (Indonesia)

Gabby Dela Merced (Girl from the Philippines, Philippine Touring Car Champion 2005)

Michele Bumgarner (Girl from the Philippines, won a heat of the ICA Kart Championship)

LouMend Cheong (Macau)

There is also talk of three other drivers coming into the series at the Indonesian event at Sentul.

Formula Three is a stepping-stone category, if the drivers stayed in it for the whole of their careers, it wouldn't be doing its job….

Last edited by AstroBoy; 1 Jul 2006 at 08:04.
Old 1 Jul 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1645574)   #7
Noisy
Racer

Angola
F3 Asia is very poor this year I repeat. All you know is that the championship can act irrationally. Hara, Avila, Jones and Mikola were replaced for unknown drivers. The championship was rubbered and looks like ARP F3. 14 per race is crap. There are many planes to catch and bills to pay before the championship gets international level. Asian F3 boys should invite the best Asian drivers to the show. Make a lotta money doesn't give quality to your championship.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 06:38 (Ref:1646008)   #8
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Why would an f3 category attract name drivers?

Drivers make their name in (and after) f3, not before f3.

I never said that Asian F3 is at the level of British F3 or EuroSeries, but it’s moving in the right direction.

It’s going really well considering F3 (and motorsport in general) is relatively new to the region.

Not sure what you’re talking about regarding your ‘Make a lotta money doesn't give quality to your championship’ comment.

Money helps to build the championship, can give confidence to the teams/drivers/sponsors that the championship won’t die.

And the money can be used to promote the championship drivers, and sponsors.

If they didn’t make money, they wouldn’t be able to offer the test drives with TOM’s Japan (at Fuji Raceway) and the free drive at the Macau Grand Prix with ThreeBond Racing.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1646094)   #9
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noisy,

I think you are talking a load of crap.

Motorsport is still new to the region and to get the live TV coverage they are getting is great. I do not think they are making a lot of money, not sure where you get that idea from. And as they don't have stupid amounts of money to throw away, how are they supposed to invite the best Asian drivers?

Mikola, Jones and Co were not replaced by the championship, they have moved on to other things (Mikola to Renault V6 for example). So what do you mean by act irrationally?

Have you actually been to any of their events this year?
Old 2 Jul 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1646128)   #10
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
My friend who works for an Asian F3 team just sent me the following facts about Asian Formula Three.

• Live Television of every event
  • Prize - Fully funded drive at the Macau Grand Prix – ThreeBond Racing
  • Prize - Test drives with TOM’S Formula Three team at Fuji Raceway – for 2 drivers
  • Large crowd numbers – 20,000+ at the last event in China.
  • Each round of the championship is treated as an event, rather than just another race. I.E press conferences, podium celebrations, stunt shows, grid girls, street drives, golf tournaments, etc (all help drivers/teams with sponsorship)
  • Subsidized freight costs. Just US$1200 per car for the entire shipping of the season.
  • AF3 is still a new category but already it has helped promote drivers careers. Including Ananda Mikola who drives for A1 Team Indonesia.
  • One of motor sports fastest growing regions (Asia)
  • The Official Asian Formula Three web site (www.AsianF3.net) is one of the top twenty most popular Asian motor sport web sites.
  • Formula Three is a proven and successful formula all around the world.

So with all this, it’s clear that Asian F3 is moving in the right direction. It will take time, and a lot of hard work but Asian motor sport is getting better every year.

This is exciting for expats like me! J
Old 2 Jul 2006, 13:14 (Ref:1646193)   #11
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I supply many parts to the AF3 lads and the series hasgrown over the past 4 years the promotion is active and it gives the drivers from around the world the opportunity to race FIA series cars for a 3rd of the UK F3 Class B costs and the winner gains an entry to Macau end of year race and they also run on a few F1 tracks !!

With 2 rounds in 3 countries and 3 races per round it gives a lot of track time for young drivers especially from the side of the globe. Many drivers are coming up through the karting F BMW ranks now so the influx of western guys may not be so obvious as it was a year or so ago

The budgets are around US$ 130k- if i could get a deal with an airline i would be racing my f3 car out there and not in the UK!!
For that sort of cost and publicity/ exposure its very good value for money
You also have to consider as mentioned before that there are not many asian drivers out there
Narain and Alex Yoong are the 1st 2 guys to hit the headlines/big time race scene and now we have had a few more Chinese Indian Malay drivers over to UK racing who have cut there teeth in FBMW FRenault and AF3 series the past 4 years
It will not be long before 1 of the younger Af3 lads gets into the EEC race scene on his talents
Old 2 Jul 2006, 22:28 (Ref:1646853)   #12
Noisy
Racer

Angola
I disagree. We haven't reached anagreement on future of Asian F3 future, bringing an end to the long-running debate on that. But I can't see any strong argument.

Macau driver Rodolfo Avila says British F3 is a giant step to Asian F3 lads. He could win Asian F3 this season easily but prefered to ride to National class skies to prepare Macau Grand Prix. The Asian F3 Championship could hit trouble very soon because I can't see only one country teams. No teams from China, Malasya, Australia, Thai, Macau or Korea.

The series aren't moving in the right direction. I just can see a bunch of Philippines and UK non-funded lost drivers trying to be local champions. I can't see young lads looking to F1.
Old 2 Jul 2006, 23:42 (Ref:1646892)   #13
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
Noisy,

I think you are talking a load of crap.
The best advice I can give to you is ignore Noisy, all he does is p**s people off all the time with ridiculous, nonsensical comments.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 06:02 (Ref:1646996)   #14
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do like the way in an earlier post in this thread he makes ARP F3 out to be the pits yet in other threads he's getting all excited about drivers because they've won in that championship!

The guy has to be the most contradictory poster in the history of this board, you've won more than any of your favourite drivers ever will there Noisy
Old 3 Jul 2006, 07:30 (Ref:1647045)   #15
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Yeah ya right guys, he’s got no idea.
  • How is Live Television for every event, moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is attracting a crowd of over 20,000, moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is helping drivers like Ananda Mikola (A1 Team Indonesia), moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is offering a fully funded drive at the Macau GP, moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is offering two free tests with TOM’s Japan, moving in the wrong direction?
I could go on….
  • No disrespect to Rodolfo Avila, but he never even won a single race in Asian F3 2005; he had the best engine/chassis package (Neil Brown Mugen-Honda – Piquet F304, which won the British championship). And he was with the 2004 championship winning team….
I’m under no illusions; I know that the British F3 Championship is at a higher level, but Avila couldn’t win the 06 Asian F3 championship easily. He came 6th or 7th in Asian F3 last year, behind Winslow, Pena, and Sy – who are all doing the championship this year…..
  • For your information:
ThreeBond Racing is owned by Japanese
Team Goddard is owned by Englishman
Aran Racing is an Irish Team
Team Indonesia in an Indonesian team……
I’ve also heard that an Australian is starting a team next season.

Why would it matter if all teams where from mostly from one country anyway?? Most teams from the EuroSeries are from Germany....
  • To say that no drivers from Asian F3 want to be in F1 is total stupidity. Pena and Sy will both be testing in the UK later this year. Are you saying they are not aiming to get to F1???
You always say you can’t “see” things – maybe you should get a guide dog (or just open up your eyes!)…..

Last edited by AstroBoy; 3 Jul 2006 at 07:35.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1647137)   #16
driftwood
Veteran

Gentlemen as much as Mr Noisy irritates you please consider that his 1st language is not the queens english (mind u the ozzies 1st language is not queenies english either!! )

I am used to speaking and writing with non english speakers and things get mixed up to what they mean and u cant take what is "written" to be what they want to say- so u often have to re read what they say to get a "clearer" view
having said that he is at time talkin testies !!

oh by the way how many teams in UK f3 are not british?
DUH!!! none
Old 3 Jul 2006, 11:36 (Ref:1647216)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
guys, please remember one of the rules of the forum "attack the post, not the poster". it's like if you shoot someone trying to steal stuff from your house. you're the one in trouble regardless of what they were doing.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1647229)   #18
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella
guys, please remember one of the rules of the forum "attack the post, not the poster". it's like if you shoot someone trying to steal stuff from your house. you're the one in trouble regardless of what they were doing.
OK, sorry about that.

He shouldn't get a guide dog, or open up his eyes. But everything else still stands.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 15:51 (Ref:1647420)   #19
Noisy
Racer

Angola

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood
oh by the way how many teams in UK f3 are not british?
DUH!!! none
No! 3 Teams: Cesário from Brasil, Performance from Sweden and Allan Docking from Australia. You should read more.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1647437)   #20
Noisy
Racer

Angola

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBoy
How is Live Television for every event, moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is attracting a crowd of over 20,000, moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is helping drivers like Ananda Mikola (A1 Team Indonesia), moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is offering a fully funded drive at the Macau GP, moving in the wrong direction?
  • How is offering two free tests with TOM’s Japan, moving in the wrong direction?
Mikola raced in Europe before. He is not a fat bottomed girl that started in F3 Asia to move up. The crowd numbers are not official. The TV Coverage is OK and the premiuns are OK. I respect.

Quote:
  • No disrespect to Rodolfo Avila, but he never even won a single race in Asian F3 2005; he had the best engine/chassis package (Neil Brown Mugen-Honda – Piquet F304, which won the British championship). And he was with the 2004 championship winning team….
You don't know much about the championship. I am not a genius but I don't say this kind of mistakes. Across the wire across the land Avila did two or three rounds on the underrated Tom's Team Asia. Set my alarm, turn on your charm and ... Neil Brown engine is crap. Bad engine compared to Tom's and Nissan. Super champion Christian Jones team didn't work with a Dallara F304 before and they didn't previous test. Your comment was very unfair.

Quote:
I’m under no illusions; I know that the British F3 Championship is at a higher level, but Avila couldn’t win the 06 Asian F3 championship easily. He came 6th or 7th in Asian F3 last year, behind Winslow, Pena, and Sy – who are all doing the championship this year…..
It finally happened - Am I slightly mad? - he came 5th according to his website in front of Pena. Tyson Sy has 3 years of F3 and his Championship organisation supported driver. This kettle is boiling over for you now.

Quote:
ThreeBond Racing is owned by Japanese
Team Goddard is owned by Englishman
Aran Racing is an Irish Team
Team Indonesia in an Indonesian team……
I’ve also heard that an Australian is starting a team next season.

It's all so shameless. 3Bond isn't racing in Asia anymore. Team Goddard HQ are in Phillipines I just checked and paid by Philippines sponsors. Team Indonesia is in the fact Philippines JF3 team. Aran is the only non-local team. Where're the teams from Macau, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Thai, Malasya or Japan?

Quote:
Why would it matter if all teams where from mostly from one country anyway?? Most teams from the EuroSeries are from Germany

If they come all from one country it shows how regional is the championship. Euroseries has teams from Germany, France, England, Austria and Monaco.

Quote:
To say that no drivers from Asian F3 want to be in F1 is total stupidity. Pena and Sy will both be testing in the UK later this year. Are you saying they are not aiming to get to F1???
Quote:
I fell in a wishing well to them and now the damage is done And who have you become? You said they are going to test. I'll sit down and waiting and see. The topic is finished for me.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 18:40 (Ref:1647516)   #21
JohnMiller
Veteran

JohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJohnMiller should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Mark Goddard is English but his team is based in The Phillipines - and so is an Asian team.

Yet Performance is based in Loughborough but is Swedish because it has a Swedish Team Principal?
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1647531)   #22
driftwood
Veteran

docko is more english than ozzie been here 30 years and he is still only 35 years old!
cesario team took over mike bakers menu motorsport
and bobby at perfomance speaks better english than docking!

im sure in time a "chinese" team will enter af3 but too many politics to enter into her as to why it has not happened yet
Thailand team was discussed cos i was looking for a car for them but the "drivers" $$ did not show up so it went stale but always next year
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1647761)   #23
schitarella
Rookie

schitarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
asian f3 is okay but must you have to remember the motorsport in asia is not of the level of europe as it's still new at this level so no point doing a compare as it makes no difference.. but it's getting better so no point talking it down also, and for the price if u can raise a budget of 80-100k and not 400k and can race in a decent growing series' in asia then thats great... asian f3 has suffered this year also so has asisan bmw becuase the new formula renault v6 didn't finalise their championship till very very late in the year so many drivers wait on the fence as so bmw and asian f3 and even asia v6 loose out....
Old 4 Jul 2006, 08:41 (Ref:1647819)   #24
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noisy
Mikola raced in Europe before. He is not a fat bottomed girl that started in F3 Asia to move up. The crowd numbers are not official. The TV Coverage is OK and the premiuns are OK. I respect.

Yes, Ananda raced in Europe before, but had to come back to Asia due to lack of funds. Asan F3 saved him because it was affordable, and gave him the opportunity to attract more funding and also improve his driving – and he now drives for A1 Team Indonesia…

Everyone I have spoken to has said that the crowd was massive, and I’ve seen photo’s which prove it.

TV is great, every event is telecasted LIVE, and the production is good too. Probably best TV deal in Asia (not sure of Japan).

Quote:
You don't know much about the championship. I am not a genius but I don't say this kind of mistakes. Across the wire across the land Avila did two or three rounds on the underrated Tom's Team Asia. Set my alarm, turn on your charm and ... Neil Brown engine is crap. Bad engine compared to Tom's and Nissan. Super champion Christian Jones team didn't work with a Dallara F304 before and they didn't previous test.

The Neil brown mugen Honda engine was the best in the championship – easily.

Christian Jones drove the car 3 days after the final round of the Championship at Batangas, and went 1.2 seconds faster than Rodolfo ever did…..

Nothing wrong with the car OR the Neil Brown engine…

They also did testing during the season (Thursday and Fridays before each race meeting as well as additional testing at battings).

Rodolfo did 8 races and never came close to winning. Jones did one test day in the 04 and did a time that would have put him on pole.

Quote:
It finally happened - Am I slightly mad? - he came 5th according to his website in front of Pena. Tyson Sy has 3 years of F3 and his Championship organization supported driver. This kettle is boiling over for you now.

Tyson Sy has only been racing f3 for 1 more year – compared to Avila…..

You still haven’t shown us evidence of how Rodolfo would have “easily” won the championship this year.

He would still have to beat Tyson and Winslow, he didn’t even get close in 2005 – not even close.

And this year he would also have to come against Jackson, Battistini, Moreno, Pena, etc…

Quote:
It's all so shameless. 3Bond isn't racing in Asia anymore. Team Goddard HQ are in Philippines I just checked and paid by Philippines sponsors. Aran is the only non-local team.

Um.. The ThreeBond teams are still racing in Asian…. They are coming 2nd in the Japanese F3 Championship and second in the Asian F3 Championship…..

Team Goddard has their office in Asia, because all of the races are there – wouldn’t make sense in being based in the UK would it. But it is still owned by the British…..

And why would it matter if the sponsors are from Asia?? Is RenaultF1 a Japanese team, because they are sponsored by Mild Seven???

Quote:
Where're the teams from Macau, China, Hong Kong, Korea, Thai, Malasya or Japan?

Give it Time, The series (and motorsport in general) is still very new.

Formula three in Europe as been going for more than 50 years, yet Asian F3 is barely 5 years old..

It will take time – but they are moving in the right direction. Live television and big crowds are helping to make it grow.

Quote:
I fell in a wishing well to them and now the damage is done And who have you become? You said they are going to test. I'll sit down and waiting and see.

Yep, you wait and “see”. Like everyone it costs down to money. But they have stated that it is their plan.

Because, even though you don’t believe it – they ARE trying to get to F1.

Quote:
The topic is finished for me.

Somehow I doubt it….
Old 4 Jul 2006, 08:44 (Ref:1647820)   #25
AstroBoy
Rookie

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitarella
asian f3 is okay but must you have to remember the motorsport in asia is not of the level of europe as it's still new at this level so no point doing a compare as it makes no difference.. but it's getting better so no point talking it down also, and for the price if u can raise a budget of 80-100k and not 400k and can race in a decent growing series' in asia then thats great... asian f3 has suffered this year also so has asisan bmw becuase the new formula renault v6 didn't finalise their championship till very very late in the year so many drivers wait on the fence as so bmw and asian f3 and even asia v6 loose out....
I couldn't agree with you more.