Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2949677)   #1
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Barrichello to be replaced by pay driver?

It looks as if Rubens is about to be replaced at Williams.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns23528.html
Old 1 Sep 2011, 23:47 (Ref:2949685)   #2
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
It's certainly come to something when a team like Williams has to do something like that.
Old 1 Sep 2011, 23:50 (Ref:2949687)   #3
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
This is one of the big problems at William's as has been ever since I can remember..

They flip flop and change personnel all over the place..

William's need some Japanese influence...
Old 2 Sep 2011, 00:54 (Ref:2949712)   #4
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to Autosport Sutil, Senna and van der Garde are all potentially in the frame:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/94156
Old 2 Sep 2011, 01:17 (Ref:2949714)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I believe that Adrian Sutil would be making a big mistake by going to William's..

Bruno stay were you are because Renault love you right now and are on your side...
Old 2 Sep 2011, 01:33 (Ref:2949717)   #6
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Unless Force India forces him out Sutil would be dumb to leave. Maybe 3-4 years ago FI to Williams would be an upgrade but now not so much. I'm thinking more likely a well funded GP2 driver is more likely, unless Grosjean has or gets some serious sponsorship.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 06:34 (Ref:2949743)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
This is one of the big problems at William's as has been ever since I can remember..

They flip flop and change personnel all over the place..

William's need some Japanese influence...
The wider WillamsGPE issue is that the cars are ultimately not good enough. The team has taken steps to correct some of these things.. some new magicians in place to pull the proverbial rabbit out of a hat...

But the 'usual' Williams behaviour seems to remain.. to compromise some measure of the driver/engineering/technical partner equation because they think that may be too big for their britches!

We saw the likes of Mr Mansell, Mr Hill amongst others depart this squad as the top of their field.. over what was reported to be financial disputes... although its hard to think this was the only reason.

I am sure I read somewhere that Mr Barrichello had helped send the engineering development path down an alley that was helping them last season. Has he lost his edge? Speed maybe, but drivers generally dont seem to lose development skill, being able to relate what they feel to their engineers... they either have it... or not...

So lets bring 2 young guys in, with a solid wedge of sponduli, and no demonstrated F1 development experience, to master the cars that may or may not be the slowest of the 4 Renault-powered teams next season.

Even Mr Vettel, at the height of his powers as he is, takes development and setup knowledge from the #2 car, to help with the running of his own rocket

Maybe this is the right call for the bankbook, but maybe not for the competitiveness of the car...

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 2 Sep 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2949774)   #8
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is not what Williams needs. They do seem to have a problem with staff. I thought Rubens got on well with the team?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2949799)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post

Bruno stay were you are because Renault love you right now and are on your side...
Petrov is going nowhere. So, unfortunately for Bruno, he will always be playing second fiddle to Kubica when it comes to a race seat for next season. I don't think that he can hang around that long to wait and see if Kubica is going to be fit enough.

A lot of things are going to depend on Kubica's fitness, over the coming months.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 09:53 (Ref:2949801)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'd rather poke myself in the eye with a sharp stick than see giedo van der garde get into f1 on his girlfriends fathers money.

i think broadrun96 is right, grosjean is a gravity driver and hence linked to renault, he's got the gp2 title and he's not short of a bob or two (you don't just produce budget for a gp2 drive out of thin air). no brainer surely?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 10:00 (Ref:2949803)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
And there's also Grosjean to consider (as pointed out above), and 3 into 1 doesn't go.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 13:40 (Ref:2949887)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I think that Ruben's can see his one chance of staying in F1 slowly slipping through his fingers.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 14:23 (Ref:2949906)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think this time RB is on his way to retirement. Finito.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 14:25 (Ref:2949909)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
DTM for Ruben's maybe?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2949925)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I have a feeling that he'll still be driving for one F1 team or another, next season. Truckie, maybe!
Old 2 Sep 2011, 16:15 (Ref:2949954)   #16
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubens will probably end up in IndyCar with his buddy Kanaan. If Lotus was serious about IndyCars I'd say they'd be involved, too, but they aren't.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 16:19 (Ref:2949957)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The sad truth is that Williams has become something of a cul-de-sac nowadays. That's why they are losing sponsors and not attracting drivers with real, natural ability.

The situation may improve with the Renault engines next year. If the revised car needs sorting out, they may as well hang on to Rubens if they can.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2949998)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Rubens will probably end up in IndyCar with his buddy Kanaan. If Lotus was serious about IndyCars I'd say they'd be involved, too, but they aren't.
He doesn't want to go there, IndyCar's a mess, DTM would be a much better choice.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2950027)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He doesn't want to go there, IndyCar's a mess, DTM would be a much better choice.

If he leaves, as he said once before, he will go to Brazilian Stock Cars, which is currently the top level category there.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 18:56 (Ref:2950044)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stripedcat View Post
This is not what Williams needs. ...
I don't think Rubens is what Williams need either.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2950070)   #21
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's certainly come to something when a team like Williams has to do something like that.

I was thinking the same thing.
I hope they find a bit of their old success.
Old 2 Sep 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2950076)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotusonpole View Post
I hope they find a bit of their old success.
You're a genius!

Jacques Villeneuve!
Old 2 Sep 2011, 20:55 (Ref:2950116)   #23
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There are a lot of good drivers out there with a very limited number of drives available for next year. Renault currently have 4 potential drivers and might want to place one with a customer team? Willams being the only realistic option, can't imagine Renault placing a driver at the other Lotus Renault team!!
Old 2 Sep 2011, 21:48 (Ref:2950141)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yes, can't see Trulli being kept on, contract or not....

If Gravity 'pay' to have Grosjean or Senna (or whoever) in at Norfolk alongside Heikki then Fernandez can pay Jarno off.

Same applies to Williams with regards to Barrichello really?
Old 2 Sep 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2950177)   #25
danoli
Rookie

danoli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
The sad truth is that Williams has become something of a cul-de-sac nowadays. That's why they are losing sponsors and not attracting drivers with real, natural ability.

The situation may improve with the Renault engines next year. If the revised car needs sorting out, they may as well hang on to Rubens if they can.
I'm sure if you gave almost any talented driver in a lower category the choice of a williams drive they wouldn't need to think twice about it!

Also, I think that if Kubica doesn't return then grosjean will take senna's place at renault anyway